Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Volume licensing of Reader DC when installed via PDQ Deploy or Desktop Central

New Here ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am an IT admin for the company I work for.   Some of our end-user employees use Reader.  We wanted to by default install this software on new computers we assign to users, but our company lawyer does not like a certain provision of the Volume Distribution License for Reader, therefore we have to direct our users to Adobe's website to download/install the software instead of the IT Department installing it on new computers for users.    We are not redistributing outside of our company in any way.  Only getting it installed on employee workstation computers.

I got to thinking though.  What about system administration products out there like PDQ Deploy, Desktop Central, Ninite, etc which allows an admin to automatically take the prepackaged app and deploy it to a computer on their LAN, and keep that product updated?   For those products, I don't we would technically be downloading Reader and providing it to users.  Those products either come with it or you click a button that goes and downloads the master copy which can be deployed.    To me it looks like PDQ/Desktop Central/Ninite are the ones downloading and distributing the software.  I just tell them what machines to send it to.

Have the companies behind those products gone through the volume distribution license process and therefore we can use those products without having to go with any special licensing ourselves?

Based on the licensing for Reader DC, to be on the up and up, do we need to in anyway license anything with Adobe or do anything to be compliant if I installed the software via one of these utilities?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a lawyer, but this doesn't sound right at all. The essential thing is that an EULA must be accepted. So the users must download, install and accept; or you must have the volume distribution license in order to do this on the user's behalf. What you propose does not sound in any way compliant, but your legal department would need to have the say on that. They tend not to like ingenious ideas, and should have the chance to veto them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply. 

Reading the volume license, I interpret half of it covering IT departments that want to make it available on their LAN and the other half for a developer for examples wants to distribute it to their customers along with their non-Adobe product.

I would like to assume that we would just be a customer of PDQ Deploy or Desktop Central and hopefully once Reader is installed, when first run the EULA gets approved by whoever runs the program the first time.   I can't remember how Reader responds when it's deployed via one of these sys admin apps.

I'm not trying to weasel out of something with a tricky Idea.  I am thinking these other products have a volume distribution license with Adobe and I am trying to find out if we'd need a second volume distribution license to use this non-Adobe product which deploys Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines