Highlighted

ServiceConfig.xml during install getting wrong flag boolean; no selfservice or appspanel

New Here ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Admin Console site today, I generated a new Named license package that is supposed to contain both CCDA, Acrobat 19, and allow the ability for my users (who do not have admin rights), to install whatever other Adobe applications they want. In the sidebar, I have the following options (bold emphasis mine)

• Show apps panel
  • Allow non-admin to update and install apps
  • Enable file syncing
  • Enable Remote Update Manager
  • Exclude extensions folder & Extension Manager command line tool
  • Exclude Adobe Asset Link
  • AUSST override XML not included
  • Install at default directory

I copied the resulting package "Build" folder to my testing VM and ran setup.exe --silent (by the way; it's super annoying that Adobe puts shortcuts in C:\users\public\desktop - where my nonadmin users aren't able to delete them. I'd like to know if there are flags/parameters that can prevent CCDA from doing this). I then opened CCDA, signed in, let the CCDA app update itself (sigh) and then... saw there was no Apps panel. What the heck?

I reverted the VM back and tried the same command again. This time, as the install finished, I monitored "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\Configs\" and sure enough - ServiceConfig.xml was being created at the same time, with the following contents (bold emphasis mine):

<config>

<panel>

<name>AppsPanel</name>

<visible>false</visible>

</panel>

<panel>

<name>FilesPanel</name>

<masked>true</masked>

</panel>

<panel>

<name>MarketPanel</name>

<masked>true</masked>

</panel>

<feature>

<name>SelfServeInstalls</name>

<enabled>false</enabled>

</feature>

</config>

So, what's going on here? Why is both appsPanel and SelfServeInstalls flagging to false, when my Admin Console package settings is specifically saying to allow non-admin updates and to show the Apps Panel in the Admin Console?

Topics

Admin Console Settings, Creative Cloud Apps or products, Deploying & Packaging apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

ServiceConfig.xml during install getting wrong flag boolean; no selfservice or appspanel

New Here ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using the Admin Console site today, I generated a new Named license package that is supposed to contain both CCDA, Acrobat 19, and allow the ability for my users (who do not have admin rights), to install whatever other Adobe applications they want. In the sidebar, I have the following options (bold emphasis mine)

• Show apps panel
  • Allow non-admin to update and install apps
  • Enable file syncing
  • Enable Remote Update Manager
  • Exclude extensions folder & Extension Manager command line tool
  • Exclude Adobe Asset Link
  • AUSST override XML not included
  • Install at default directory

I copied the resulting package "Build" folder to my testing VM and ran setup.exe --silent (by the way; it's super annoying that Adobe puts shortcuts in C:\users\public\desktop - where my nonadmin users aren't able to delete them. I'd like to know if there are flags/parameters that can prevent CCDA from doing this). I then opened CCDA, signed in, let the CCDA app update itself (sigh) and then... saw there was no Apps panel. What the heck?

I reverted the VM back and tried the same command again. This time, as the install finished, I monitored "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\Configs\" and sure enough - ServiceConfig.xml was being created at the same time, with the following contents (bold emphasis mine):

<config>

<panel>

<name>AppsPanel</name>

<visible>false</visible>

</panel>

<panel>

<name>FilesPanel</name>

<masked>true</masked>

</panel>

<panel>

<name>MarketPanel</name>

<masked>true</masked>

</panel>

<feature>

<name>SelfServeInstalls</name>

<enabled>false</enabled>

</feature>

</config>

So, what's going on here? Why is both appsPanel and SelfServeInstalls flagging to false, when my Admin Console package settings is specifically saying to allow non-admin updates and to show the Apps Panel in the Admin Console?

Topics

Admin Console Settings, Creative Cloud Apps or products, Deploying & Packaging apps

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
May 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I deploying this wrong? I received 2 folders and a file in my .zip file - Build, Exceptions, and Company_win64_AdobeCCDA.ccp files. Where are my options for AppsPanel visible true and SelfServeInstalls visible true actually being stored when I make them on the Adobe Admin console website? Are they in that .ccp file?

I was doing the test installs just using setup.exe --silent and thought that would be enough to get the options I wanted. As far as I can tell, .ccp files are being deprecated, as is the entire Adobe Creative Cloud Packager system as of 2019.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the default setting for Shared Device License packages. These are for lab and classroom use where there will be multiple users, therefore updating and installing is disabled.

There is a delay between the general release of the CC Desktop App and the app being made available on the Admin Console. This is to allow any issues that may emerge to be resolved prior to release for enterprises.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply, Alister. However, as I mentioned in my original post "I generated a new Named license package..."

So, since this is a Named license package and not a SDL... what should I try next?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annotation 2019-05-29 114631.png

See, here's what I see on my end. Named, not Shared.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alisterblack  wrote

There is a delay between the general release of the CC Desktop App and the app being made available on the Admin Console. This is to allow any issues that may emerge to be resolved prior to release for enterprises.

Okay, that's not a huge deal. I understand that you're leaving a pretty old version in the Admin Console. But is there a flag I can set during install that will cause the CCDA to update itself, without a user signing in? Our users might not sign into their new machines for a few days after I image them with SCCM, yet the CCDA app stays out of date and doesn't update itself until a user signs in. How can I make the app just immediately update to the current version, same as it does after a sign in?

I wrote about this here in this post but someone named "bani verma" marked it as a duplicate to this one... which is it is not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion, I locked the thread thinking that the query is almost the same.

I'll unlock it now.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The flag to control updating is as follows.

1. Locate the ServiceConfig.xml file
    • Windows 32-bit: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\Configs\
    • Windows 64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\Configs\
    • Mac OS: /Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE/Configs/
  2. Open the file, locate the SelfUpdate element, and check whether <enabled> is true or false.
    • Example: <feature><name>SelfUpdate</name><enabled>false</enabled></feature>

If it is true, the Always keep Creative Cloud desktop up to date preference is turned on and the Creative Cloud desktop app will check for and install available updates automatically.

If it is false, the Always keep Creative Cloud desktop up to date preference is turned off and the Creative Cloud desktop app will not check for and install available updates automatically. But you can manually check for updates by selecting Check for App Updates from the menu.

This does not force an update without signing in.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alisterblack  wrote

This does not force an update without signing in.

Hi Alister - thank you for the tip. In my current ServiceConfig.xml file, there is no entry at all for SelfUpdate. I will add that entry and flag it as "true" then.

But, in your last line - can you clarify what you mean? So even with this flag set to true, it still will not update CCDA without signing in? So, what does SelfUpdate being true OR false actually mean to us in practice?

I was under the impression we'd already granted the CCDA admin self-updating capabilities by the options set in the Admin Console. I'd like it just to go ahead and do its own updating, like how Google Chrome updates itself (even in Program Files) by using a service and/or scheduled task. The less I.T. interaction with the whole Adobe thing, the better.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alisterblack  wrote

This is the default setting for Shared Device License packages. These are for lab and classroom use where there will be multiple users, therefore updating and installing is disabled.

So that's one half of my question; I'm still wondering why these packages that I clearly designated as "named" are getting these flags like SDL installs. Is there a glitch in the console?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes it does require a sign-in to trigger the update and I agree that this is a pain point when trying to schedule updates outside of office hours.

For the serviceconfig.xml file, I usually see this happening when there is an existing file on the machine. Are you packaging on a machine that does not have CC installed?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alisterblack  wrote

For the serviceconfig.xml file, I usually see this happening when there is an existing file on the machine. Are you packaging on a machine that does not have CC installed?

Apologies for the lateness, I'm at MST training. Anyway, that's a VERY big shame about the CCDA not being able to update without signing in. Can you submit that to the devs to me as a major problem and slowdown in the deployment process? I don't see any reason why a username/password should be needed to simply keep the CCDA up to date, right? I assume Adobe wants to get its updates onto as many computers as possible, as quickly as possible.

Anyway, to answer your quote, here's my workflow: download the .zip file from Adobe Console, extract the folder, upload to SCCM, and make an SCCM "Application" using setup.exe --silent. That's really it. I'm not doing any further 'packaging' - the SCCM server certainly does not have CC installed, no. Why would it? Its purpose is just to run SCCM, not adobe stuff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm happy to add your voice to this issue.

For the other issue I'd need to check the original package, I see that your organisation has built several packages since the original report. Has the problem persisted?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALBLACK  wrote

Hi,

I'm happy to add your voice to this issue.

For the other issue I'd need to check the original package, I see that your organisation has built several packages since the original report. Has the problem persisted?

Thank you. So, to clarify, you do not believe I should be having this problem and that my users should be able to see the apps panel and install their own applications, based on my description in the first post?

Okay, when I get back to the office, I will try again fresh, redownload a new package with the same settings from Adobe, and see if that package, when installed via an SCCM task sequence like the current one is.

I will report back here next week around Thursday or Friday with the results and whether or not the problem continues. If it does, I will give you the package ID from the Admin Console, and I'd like you to please try to replicate my problem on your side.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

No with a 'self-service' named user package (which grants elevated privileges) the apps panel should be visible.

I'd be happy to test that out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I did not use the "self service" package. I used the Named License, "managed package" option because when we deploy our new machines to our users, we want them to already come with Adobe Acrobat pre-installed as well as the CCDA. We want both of those alone for all new computers. But we want our users to feel free to install other apps if they wish on their workstations.

So, is that the issue? And if that is the issue... then in that case, the Adobe Console is not very descriptive.

Here is my working order:

1. From the Adobe Admin Console, Click Create a Package
  2. Select "Named User Licensing"
  3. Select Managed Package (because, remember, if I select "self service" then it doesn't not allow me to add any other applications into the package at the same time. It forces the package to only be made with the CCDA, whereas I want it with the CCDA and Acrobat.
  4. Select Windows x64 as the Platform. Don't change any other settings
  5. Add Adobe Acrobat DC into the Package, so that there are 2 items, Acrobat and the CCDA
  6. This is now the key page. On this page it already has the options I want selected: Show Apps Panel and "Allow non-admins to update and install apps" - so I change nothing on this page. and click next.
  7. I give the package a name, and let it build. Then download the completed package.

So... please tell me what the problem is here. The Named, managed package option tells me that the apps panel will be shown. It tells me that non-admins will have the right to update and install apps.

But now, you're telling me here - that the only way to give my non-admin users, the ability to install their own apps and let the CCDA keep them up to date, is to install a "blank" empty CCDA "self service" program with no other Adobe programs pre-installed? Despite the fact that the wording in the Named, managed options tells me outright that users can have control?

I'm very confused right now. The text in front of my eyes is telling me one thing, but you're telling me another.

This Adobe documentation page here in the "Managed Package -> Create Managed Packages" section, step #7, describes exactly what I see. It does not tell me that I must select "self-service" - it says that I can do what I want, using a Managed Package. Yes?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think this is just a question of terminology.

You have built a managed package but with 'elevated privileges'.

In any case the apps panel should appear for that package.

As I mentioned if you have a live package that demonstrates the issue I would be happy to test it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Old thread, but testing my luck that you receive this and kind enough to Reply back if you recall.   I am having the same problem where i cannot get the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop application set to 'Always keeps Creative Cloud up to date' option set from the AdminConsole package i use!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines