• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixelation

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is a watercolor painting so pixelated in Fresco? In intuitive, exemplary simple, realistic - and so missed Sketch that was not the case. The magic of painting in Sketch all gone in Fresco, at least for me - not only by the pixelation but also by the behaviour of the watercolor brushes. But now when Sketch is soon terminated nothing else to do then to try once again with Fresco. However, it would be o great help if there was a way of getting the same antialiasing effect in Fresco as in Sketch - also if there was a way to import the Sketch default watercolor brushes to fresco - is there? Many thanks in advance for any answer solving or at least explaining these things

TOPICS
Import , Performance , Pixel Brushes

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2022 Jan 08, 2022

Hi @jonk80455617 ,

Fresco (like Photoshop) works on pixel-based images. This means that if you zoom in far enough to see the pixels themselves, everything will be pixelated. This happens for everything from low resolution thumbnails all the way to the highest resolution, gigapixel images - if you zoom to a level where you can see pixels, you will see that the pixels are square, and you'll see anything with a curved edge displaying a jagged profile.

What you need is to consider where and how

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jonk80455617 ,

Fresco (like Photoshop) works on pixel-based images. This means that if you zoom in far enough to see the pixels themselves, everything will be pixelated. This happens for everything from low resolution thumbnails all the way to the highest resolution, gigapixel images - if you zoom to a level where you can see pixels, you will see that the pixels are square, and you'll see anything with a curved edge displaying a jagged profile.

What you need is to consider where and how your image will be seen, and ensure that your image is high enough resolution that it can be displayed at 100% zoom or less in the final application. For example, if you want to print your artwork, plan your image for the final printed size. If you want 16"x20" artwork, you might choose 200 pixels per inch for printing (or more), which means that your document should be 3200 x 4000 pixels in size.

The same goes for calculating if you want to view it on screen, calculate the screen size and use that to decide how large to make your document.

In that 3200 x 4000 document, if you zoom to 500% view, you are still going to see pixels. But in real life viewing or printing at normal document sizes, you will never see that.

I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael!

Thank you for your instructive and prompt answer.

I usually use an A3 canvas at 300 ppi - to be sure:) As I did in Sketch. I suppose that Sketch also worked with pixel-based images, still - even if I enlarged to maximum 400 % - I couldn’t see any pixels in Sketch. However, with the same resolution of the canvas, the pixels are all over at 400 % magnification in Fresco - how come?

Best,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I've been working on a drawing for a while now. Suddenly everything is so pixalised. It's like the quality just dropped overnight 

Everything was fine for a weeks before and now it's almost hatd to work on my image because it's too pixalised & I can't even see my lines and details well. 

Would you have any hints on why & how I can manage that.

this was a huge project it's breaking my heart if I have to start all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Zone creative,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing pixelation issues in your drawing, especially after working on it for a while. I understand the frustration, and I'll do my best to help you troubleshoot and find a solution.

Here are a couple of suggestions you can try:

• Change View to CPU Preview:

• Navigate to the "View" menu.
    • Select "Preview on CPU" instead of GPU.
    • Check if the pixelation issue persists with CPU preview.
  • Adjust Document Raster Effect Settings:

• Go to the "Effect" menu.
    • Choose "Document Raster Effects Settings."
    • Set the resolution to a higher value (e.g., from 72 to 300) and see if it improves the image quality.

If these suggestions don't resolve the issue, please provide additional details, such as the version of Adobe Illustrator you're using and any recent changes or updates on your system. This information will help in further troubleshooting.

I understand the importance of your project, and I'm here to assist you in resolving this issue. Let me know how it goes or if you have any more details to share.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Anshul_Saini 

I first thougt you were discussing Fresco and was istantly filled with hope that there would be a way of counteracting the heavy pixelation in Fresco compared to former Sketch (please see my post above) - but your instructions were based on Illustratrator,  weren't they? Sigh.  Anyhow, have found two watercolor brushed with wich the pixelation is on an exceptable level. However,  I have still difficulities to understand why Fresco have to be so pixelated when Sketch was not...

Best regards,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What DPI are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Michael!

Thank you for your instructive and prompt answer.

I usually use an A3 canvas at 300 ppi - to be sure:) As I did in Sketch. I suppose that Sketch also worked with pixel-based images, still - even if I enlarged to maximum 400 % - I couldn’t see any pixels in Sketch. However, with the same resolution of the canvas, the pixels are all over at 400 % magnification in Fresco - how come?

Best,

Jon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines