Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

adding/loading a script in an action

Participant ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi all

i'm not familiar with scripts at all and a quick search didnt result much in similar question except one from 8yrs ago which said it cant, but maybe since then there were some changes.

is it possible to include a script in the action?

i've tried recording an action and loaded the script but didnt show up. i'm afraid it still can't but maybe theres a work around?

the script im using basically searches for paths smaller than x length, which takes ages to run for complex images, and i need to do it on way too many images to do one by one, so i was hoping for some automation.

cheers

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible to include a script into an action since years. The only issue was: after restart Illustrator - the script was no longer in the action.

This issue was fixed with Illustrator version CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on my desktop i have cc2015 (v.19) and i cant seem to do make it work. should it be located in the default script folder maybe? cause i load it from a custom folder of mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

Please describe a bit more in detail what do you do and furthermore what exactly do you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a script which is saved on my desktop, which i load via ctrl+f12 (scripts > other scripts)

it works fine on its own,

but when i start recording an action, and load the script, while it does still work, it will not be listed in the action list.

so when i replay the action, the part of the script will never happen since its not recorded

*edit, what i want is that it is recorded in the action and playbacks as if the script is run manuall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lee8x  wrote

on my desktop i have cc2015 (v.19) and i cant seem to do make it work. should it be located in the default script folder maybe? cause i load it from a custom folder of mine.

yes, your script needs to be saved in the scripts folder. Once it shows in the scripts menu, it will be recorded in your action

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks CarlosCanto

I've forgotten to mention this fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi again

I've updated to the latest version of AI and included the script in the default folder so it is listed under the script menu, but unfortunately it still didnt work.

It is not recorded in the action panel.

I've tried a couple of other scripts, and while few of them did get listed, none of them worked as they should (a few stopped half way, or just set there)

any other help? 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to use "Insert Menu Item..." in the Actions Palette's flyout menu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i use the option insert from menu, it does get listed as loaded, but then upon playback i would need to input the value myself

as for copying the script i dont know how to upload it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I'm not following you, what values will you need to input on playback? I thought you were unable to record running a script, that does not require any input values, can you elaborate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show us one of these scripts for testing (and explain what is required before starting the script - and what result is expected)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pixxxel schubser schrieb

It's possible to include a script into an action since years. The only issue was: after restart Illustrator - the script was no longer in the action.

This issue was fixed with Illustrator version CC 2018

Lee8x schrieb

but when i start recording an action, and load the script, while it does still work, it will not be listed in the action list.

so when i replay the action, the part of the script will never happen since its not recorded …

This happens with all versions pre CC2018. Why you do not update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i thought the fix of the restart issue was solved in the 2018 not the script loading itself.

if an update will fix it i'll do it right away

(i dont usually update with every available update unless i know there's something i would need, like in this case)

will let you know tomorrow how it goes, hopefully good

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to remove CC2015 at the moment. You can install newer versions beside your CC2015. Pay attention the 'extend options' while installing (there is a checkbox: remove old versions --> uncheck this)

If the newer version works well for you - you can remove the older version.

Have fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh didn't know you can keep both options! even better this way

double thanks for the tip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lee8x,

I've just had the same problem that, when recording my action, he doesn't seem to add the script I selected.

I found a fix that works for me so and I hope it works for you aswell.

Under the "Actions" tab press the 3 horizontal lines in the upper right corner. Click on "Insert Menu Item...". Now load the script like you would do for the Action recording. This should add the script to your Action. Hope it's clear to you and hope it works for you as it works for me.

Knipsel.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines