Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Illustrator 2024 Crashing Constantly

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Evening,

I have a user with Adobe Illustrator 2024 that updated to the latest version on Thursday and his Illustrator is constantly crashing. It seems to get stuck at VectorizeUI.aip and just sits there. If you touch the program at all it will stop responding and windows will ask to end the process. When trying dianostics it will open, however within 2 seconds it will freeze and needs to be force exited.'

We have tried:

Uninstalling, Reinstalling

Reverting to previous version

Tried the Adobe Cleaner utility and wiped Illustrator

Started in safe mode

Copy the file locally as opposed to the network

updated the graphic drivers

This user's laptop is a mid range Dell Latittude 5540 laptop with the following specs:

CPU: 13th Gen I7-1370P

RAM: 32 Gigabytes of Memory

Storage: NVMe

GPU: MX550 (Entry level thing)

After doing all of that it will CONSTANTLY crash, now this user was scheduled to get a new laptop with more "horse power" on Thursday, however due to this issue i bumped the time table up. 

His new laptop has the following specs:

CPU: 12th Gen I7-2800H

RAM: 32 Gigabytes

GPU: RTX A1000 (Which is absolutely overkill)

Storage: Some NVMe Drive

I had the user come into the office and we installed Illustrator 2024 FIRST and it worked fine. We launched it a few times and tried differnt files while he was here. When the user went home it was back to crashing constantly and was ununable. I had the user disconnect the dock to rule that out, however it keeps crashing. I also had him copy the file to his local desktop instead of the network and its the same thing. 

How do i fix this? Any logs that would be helpful?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

We utilize Trend Micro Apex One. I uninstalled it from our marketing departments computers and all of sudden Adobe products stopped crashing. I will be discussing this with out security team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Hello Everyone,

I'm truly sorry to hear that many of you are experiencing issues with Adobe Illustrator 2024. I understand how frustrating it can be when your work is interrupted by crashes and technical problems. Your productivity and creativity are important to us, and we want to help you resolve these issues as quickly as possible.

To assist us in diagnosing and fixing these crashes, could you please share your crash reports by following the steps outlined in this article? When submitting

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the user have access to the same printers from home? Are those printers connected in the system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, He does. We allow printer access over our VPN

Also sorry for the ignorance but what does printers have to do with Illuistrator opening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot unfortunately.

Although creating new files and opening and saving are affected more by  the printer. Illustrator looks for a printer when opening a file and it saves the printer information into the file. So when it can't find a printer at all or the specified printer, then it will act up. You want to be very careful about your printers setups when working with Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Jonah3768514876lr,

We understand how frustrating it can be to encounter crashes in the middle of work. Would you mind submitting the crash report using your Adobe email address and sharing it here so we can check this with the product team? The steps are shared here: (https://adobe.ly/3R1dGLB). We appreciate your time and patience in helping us resolve this issue.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2024 May 31, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 2024 is the most unstable version since the one I documented 78 crashes in one year back in 2019. It seemed to be stable, and I was using version 24.something and then it crashed like six times in a row earlier today. So I restarted my machine and it still crashed two more times doing routine functions like switching color mode, going to mix an RGB color and boom it just crashes without any warning?

It had been working fine for the last few weeks without any issue? Then today it just destroyed my productivity.

I go to the CC app and see their is a 28.4.1 update so I updated it and restarted again and it's doing the exact same type of crashing. Three times since updaing to 28.4.1. At this pace it'll bi-pass 78 crashes in a month.

And it has nothing to do with my printer. Nothing has changed with that, it's never been an issue.

We're talking the most basic stuff I'm doing not a complex file at all?

My Machine:

- macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

- iMac Pro (2017), 8-Core

- Memory 64GB

I have no clue how to resolve this. Again, it just started this morning and nothing I do resolves it?

Any clue what I should do? I submitted reports. I screen grabbed part of one and attached it. Maybe there is something that could point to a problem or fix? 

Thanks.

Von

Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 1.57.50 PM.png

Creative Director / Illustrator
PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you change anything in your system?

Did you install anything?

There aren't a lot of clues that the forum has about Illustrator 2024 running on Sonoma or on Windows 11. The only thing that is known is that it crashes a lot on both these systems for some people. 

For Mac OS Sonoma most often this is related to 3 apps: Magnet, Rectangle and Proofpoint.

Some other problems are related to the setting "Displays have separate spaces".

I do not have Sonoma for exactly this reason. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember when I updated to 2024, but it's been over a month I think? But didn't have any issues.

I didn't install anything. Except for updating Illustrator to 28.4.1

Never heard of those apps you list? And my setting don't have 'Displays have seperate spaces' turned on? The last 4.5hrs Illustrator has crashed on me nine times don't pre-school level vector work. I can't get anything done.

Question: Can you re-install an older version like 2023? I've never done that but now I want too.

But I just noticed they have an update for Sonoma so I'll try that first.

I do have one question: How much open hard drive space does Adobe Illustrator need to have? That popped into my head but I'm just guessing.

Thanks.

Von

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install an older version: https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/using/install-previous-version.html

But there should also be a newer Illustrator version: 28.5. Maybe that solves something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika. I bookmarked it. I have the latest installed. The next day it worked fine again? So I still have no clue why it was crashing (10 times in one day) for no reason? But as long as it's stable that is all I want.

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Yesterday (6/3), I have had a similar issue on a Windows machine with the latest version installed (according to the Creative Cloud app). While Illustrator worked perfectly up until last Friday, Illustrator now freezes almost immediately after it starts up, and I need to use the task manager to close it down. I tried several of the freezing fixes on the internet, including installing an older version and using the Adobe Cleanup tool to uninstall and reintall the app. These provided no solution to the issue. However, I do note that if I turn off wi-fi, illustrator seems to function normally. However, as soon as I then turn the wi-fi back on, the app freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would seem to indicate that Illustrator is pinging the mothership through CC and if disconnected gets all huffy.

PPLLUVProcess.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2024 Jun 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David25177009ezop  schrieb:

Since Yesterday (6/3), I have had a similar issue on a Windows machine with the latest version installed (according to the Creative Cloud app). While Illustrator worked perfectly up until last Friday, Illustrator now freezes almost immediately after it starts up, and I need to use the task manager to close it down. I tried several of the freezing fixes on the internet, including installing an older version and using the Adobe Cleanup tool to uninstall and reintall the app. These provided no solution to the issue. However, I do note that if I turn off wi-fi, illustrator seems to function normally. However, as soon as I then turn the wi-fi back on, the app freezes.

Is that your private environment or a larger company?

What else has to do with it? Your printer connection perhaps? A file server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a computer in a larger company. Currently, there is no printer connected to it. There are shared drives on the network to which the computer can access files; however, the files being accessed by Illustator are on the local drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having no printer available or a different one than has been associated previously can in itself irritate Illustrator a lot. But also network traffic and scanning a network for drives can bring down everything. If you want more eyes on your problem, please create a new thread and describe everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check with IT to see if anything changed over the weekend regarding the network. If the problem persists, I will do as you suggest. Regarding the printer: I will note that one of the internet suggestions was to reset the app completely--which I did. Also, I completely wiped the app with the Adobe Cleaner and reinstalled. My thought is that the app should no longer know about any previous printer. Also, previously, not haveing a printer was not an issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David25177009ezop  schrieb:

Also, previously, not haveing a printer was not an issue. 

Probably Windows was set up with a PDF printer. After a Windows update the printer settings might get changed. This has led to crashes in the past. SOme people needed to roll back Windows updates and wait for the next one, because it was so bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After some additional research, the issue seems to be linked to the Adobe CEP HTML Engine processes that are spanned by Illustrator at launch.

I found the following online: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/high_cpu_usage_cephtmlengine.html

Solution 1 has seemed to work in this case.

The offending extension was C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator 2024\Support Files\Required\CEP\extensions\com.adobe.illustrator.OnBoarding

Deleting that folder seems to have fixed my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

welcome to the club, version 28 onwards is highly unstable and has been doing the same things constantly, it's not usable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am dealing with the same issues...  but no solutions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We utilize Trend Micro Apex One. I uninstalled it from our marketing departments computers and all of sudden Adobe products stopped crashing. I will be discussing this with out security team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. I've used all Adobe products since Streamline in the 80s. I've never had as many crashes as this CC-28.5

I ran an Apple MacBook pro M3 and, until April, had no problems. I keep everything 100% up-to-date.

For the record,

I don't use any Beta options, odd/additional brushes, plugins, or other add-ons.

My usage is straightforward, without a lot of blends and no painting.

I primarily use it for text and vector, so the issue doesn't seem to be related to any complex settings or usage patterns. 

I don't pull in (m)any placed images.

I don't use a lot of layers. Usually no more than 10-15 art boards.

I don't keep more than 3-5 documents open simultaneously. 

I don't have random dots/points/type invisible things.

My vectors are clean.

I only use 2-3 fonts at any given time and they're "real" not random freebies.

I DO use the Connect Fonts Pro connection, but that's never been a problem before.

I use a lot of items from Vecteezy Pro (eps form)

I have custom toolbars and menus but minimal items in them.

I use export assets and libraries, but crashes do not seem to occur in correlation with them.

I save/save-as .ai and sometimes .pdf. 

I don't use slices

It is really only happening when working on vector circles, squares, building icons, layers, and infographic items pasted into the document. Really really simple things!

The ONLY reason I can figure out is that I keep a high number of undos, but I have plenty of memory/scratchdisk space! and my undoos are super simple add/remove points/grids/rulers. lines of text. 

UGH!!!!!

WHY OH WHY ... is this version so freakin' unstable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have "Displays have separate spaces" turned on?

Does this also happen when you work in Safe Mode? When no other apps are running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica, 

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried running it (for the last 3 days) with no other apps besides Illustrator (I am on Sonoma 14.5). Though generally, when not troubleshooting, I have Messages, mail, and Safari (sometimes Chrome) open.

Prior to these problems, it was common to have Photoshop open at the same time, and I still was fine with scratch disk space. I have run disk utility, clean my mac, etree, etc. I will try safe mode but unless there is something super new in 28.5 with M3 laptop, I cannot imagine it's that. 

Since I've been working on the same 3 documents this week, I've tried using recovered files, SaveAs version of file, and copy all items and paste into new document with new name. Same problems persist. 

I'll report back when I have a moment to test that out. 

Thanks again, 

Debbie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines