Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ai 2020: Placing an image results in diagonal blue lines

Participant ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks.

So I opened up an Ai file, then I choose 'file -> place', and place a JPG. But there are diagonal blue lines on the image, and this means a lot of the menu options are greyed out. Why is this?

Thanks in advance.

PlacingFile.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Hi there,

This is an expected behavior when you place a raster image in Illustrator. frame illustrator.png

Color of this frame depends on the color of Layer on which the objects are placed. To hide these click anywhere on the pasteboard or View > Hide Edges.

hide edges.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Capture.PNG

Embed the image first. If this box is unchecked, placed images will automatically embed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The diagonal lines are how Illustrator denotes a placed image.

What do you want to do with the image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to turn the image to greyscale, but the menu option to convert to greyscale is greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't edit my own post. But I was following an Illustrator YouTube tutorial, and the trainer just placed an image and the image did not have the blue diagonal lines after being placed. But the trainer was using Illustrator 2018 CC, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.PNG

Embed the image first. If this box is unchecked, placed images will automatically embed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2023 May 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you a lot, I had left the " link" box checked as I normally do in InDesign. 

Thanks really 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

This is an expected behavior when you place a raster image in Illustrator. frame illustrator.png

Color of this frame depends on the color of Layer on which the objects are placed. To hide these click anywhere on the pasteboard or View > Hide Edges.

hide edges.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines