• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Move Object in Illustrator CC2020 Using Mouse on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot move any items in Illustrator using the mouse to drag the items, I can only move them using the arrow keys. Even if I open up a new document and place in a new object, I cannot open it, so it is not a problem specific to my file. None of my objects are locked. I do not have any hidden dialouges. I've already tried restarting Illustrator, resetting my preferences, etc. None of it works.

This has happened several times in the last few months and so I'm wondering if it's a bug?

I'm using the latest version of Illustrator as of 2/26/2020: Illustrator 24.02 Using Windows 10.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

! For some reason after I closed out of Photoshop, I could move objects again. Not sure what the issue was since there were no dialouge's open in Photoshop. but all is well. Thank you for your assitance. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Found the answer on Youtube ... you have to click on the path of the object ... not the bounding box ... then you can move the object with the mouse ... was driving me crazy just using arrow keys! (I am using a mac btw..)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Hi @M__Smith,

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. This is not an ideal workaround you are using. I would request you to please share a few more details like:

• The exact version of OS, Ai & PS
  • Does it happen while working on some files or all?
  • Is this happening intermittently/ randomly or consistently?
  • Please share a small screen recording of the issue. It would be really helpful for us.
  • Which mouse are you using, or are you using a trackpad?

We are here to help. We just need mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble. I would like to inform you all that a similar issue has been addressed for Mac in Illustrator update along with the latest macOS update, v12.4. I would request you all the update Windows 10 to the latest build and Illustrator to v26.3.1 and share your observation with us. If you are still facing the issue, please share the information asked above. This information will help us investigate the issue further.

Please feel free to reach out. We'd be happy to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Photoshop is open, have you tried with Photoshop closed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue.  Get a sound as if a dialog is open somewhere (it isnt). I can select and move with keyboard arrow keys but not with the mous and selection tool. Current version, windows 10, nothing else open. It is a bug it seems. Wasnt like this last time I had the doc open last month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if Photoshop isn't open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the answer on Youtube ... you have to click on the path of the object ... not the bounding box ... then you can move the object with the mouse ... was driving me crazy just using arrow keys! (I am using a mac btw..)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solved my problem too. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Your answer worked and saved me a lot of time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hsve an issue with moving object via keyboards arrows. My solution was phisically delete preferences file and reinstalling Ai.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing Photoshop did not work for me, neither did closing any open apps. This is the third time this has happened in the last month. Only restarting the program worked for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me too but seemed to go away after I selected the artboard with the artboard tool. Strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This (Artboard selection and selection toggle) worked for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Touching the Artboard work for me also. Strange!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me!! I didn't have any other app open when I had the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2020 Jul 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue here as well. going nuts soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2020 Jul 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same problem (couple of times last months) and not sure what the solution is.
Closing Photoshop fixed it for a little while but the bug re-appeared soon after. Artboard selection also has something to do with it. Bit annoyed by Illustrator being more buggy with latest updates.

2019 MacBook Pro 15.3 / Intel Core i9 / 2,4 GHz / 32 GB
Adobe Illustrator 24.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

#MeToo 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2020 Aug 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the solutions already posted do not work for you?

Which system, which version and what did you already try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of these posted solutions work for me. I can select objects or text with the selection, direct selection, or group selection tools but cannot move them with the mouse and that tool; I can however move them with the arrow keys on the keyboard.I have tried on multiple documents created last year and all are the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Giving this a bump - I just had the same issue out of no where today.

Yes, closing photoshop fixed it but that's obviously not a solution. Anyone at Adobe know of this and have a long term solution in the works?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have recently had a few randon PC reboots of my multiple monotors (older mobile Dell Precision laptop on a dock) and a couple of system reboots I assumed were windows updates. On a whim I undocked the laptop and the problem went away and stayed gone when I redocked. I decided to see if my 7 year old FireProM600 graphics card had a driver update (I did one not too long ago) and much to my surprise it did last month. I updated and this problem has not yet returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Toggle Show bounding Box and Gpu view to Cpu. Its work for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same problem. Illustrator 24.3, MacOs 10.15.6
I could drag a shape corner to change the size of a shape, but I couldn't drag a shape (text, groups, etc.) to change a position. Also, I could select some shape and replace it by using my keyboard.
It started suddenly while I was working. And I solved this problem by restarting my laptop.
Adobe, please, check it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Artboard selection and make a copy of your artboard then go back to the Selection Tool and you should be good 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Is just me or is there cursor issues with grabbing things and selecting corner points?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You save my day!! The same happened to me and after closing Photoshop..Boom. It's working again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem Mac OS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines