• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct selection tool / Command (to scale) / Alt (to dupe) isn't working

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm attempting to scale an object in this manner (as I've done thousands of times before), but it isn't working: I have a vector object selected (direct select tool activated) I hold my command key to activate scaling, and hold my option key to activate duplication, and the dupe isn't working. (same goes for doing it with text). It scales, but it doesn't duplicate while scaling. If I choose the scaling tool and hold option it duplicates, but I shouldn't have to switch tools unless they dropped that feature.

TOPICS
Bug , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the object, switch to the Scale tool (S), hold down left mouse button outside the shape at about a 45 degree angle.

image.png

Start dragging a little. Without releaasing the mouse, hold down Command and Option and continue dragging. 

By default, the object scales from the center, but that depends on the setting of the Reference Point.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2022 Dec 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, @barbara_a , but you're missing the point. I have no problem with switching to the tool to do the task, but I was attempting to use the keyboard shortcuts to duplicate as I scale WITHOUT having to switch to the tool — as I stated in my comment. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize that because my profile says that I'm a community beginner, that does not mean that I am an Adobe beginner and especially not an Illustrator beginner. I've been using Illustrator since 88v. I've only recently HAD to join the community due to all of the stupid things that have been going wrong with the products since it went to subscription-based.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I remember doing that, duplicating with the Alt key when rotating, scaling without switching to the Rotate/Scale tool. But as far as I can tell that worked a long time ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I remember doing that, duplicating with the Alt key when rotating, scaling without switching to the Rotate/Scale tool. But as far as I can tell that worked a long time ago.

By @Ton Frederiks

I'm sure too that it's been this way for many versions. I wonder if forum searches could pinpoint the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It has to be a *very* long time ago (25 years or longer?).

I'm pretty sure it hasn't worked this way since at least Illustrator 8 or 9 (1998, 2000).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps I'm misremembering. Can't find anything else searching the forum either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resize corner beizels feature using the command button hasn't been around that long, so it can't have been that long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure?

I think Bounding boxes were introduced in Illustrator 8 ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He doesn't duplicate the shape there? I thought that's what this topic was about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're right. I was speeding through and realized it after the point. So i deleted that link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The resize corner beizels feature using the command button hasn't been around that long, so it can't have been that long ago.

By @lmmura615

Correct me if I'm wrong, but all the command key is doing here is switching between selection tools, which is again an old feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, basically. I always use the direct selection tool because so often i only want to select certain sections, so to select the whole or the group, I'm always using the Command button as my quick key to do that. But even if I have the V selection, I'm not able to duplicate while resizing or rotating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I misremembered, as Kurt said, Bounding Boxes were introduced in Illustrator 8 (1998). You needed a transform tool to rotate, scale, and when combined with the alt/option key you would get duplicates during transforming. Actually the same as now, but now you can rotate/scale using the bounding box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Right. 1998 was just the other day, I'm sure of it. haha
At any rate, neither of the selection tools using the apparently antiquated bounding box (haha) to either scale or rotate whilst holding the alt key is duplicating. I've searched for anything on the web that shows that's a possibility, and not finding anything which makes me question my sanity. My motor memory automatically went to do this task. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it SHOULD be a thing if it is not. 
Back on my head. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines