Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error loading plugins/ Missing Plugins while launching Illustrator on macOS

New Here ,
May 30, 2012 May 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just purchased Adobe Creative Cloud and after saving a project on Adobe Illustrator CS6, I tried to open the program again and an error message is coming up, "Missing required plugins. PDF format.aip."

I checked the plugin folder and it is in there, yet I cannot open Illustrator.  The other Adobe programs work, it is just Illustrator.

Does anyone know how to fix this so I can open Illustrator and get to work.  Thanks so much!

Also, I have an iMac.  Thanks.

-Phil

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

The path to this plugin is at the following

/Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/Required/Plug-ins/Extensions

To show the Contents folder, right-click on Adobe Illustrator.app and choose "Show Package Content"

P.S.:- I have Illustrator 25.0.1 on a MAC 10.14.6 and it works just fine. 

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Hi there,

We are sorry about the trouble. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing this issue. I would request you to please try the steps mentioned in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/plugin-missing-issue.html) and let us know how it goes.

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Manan Joshi..... August 2022 and the BNPlugin.aip continues to be a problem.  Thank you for this!  I tried the other solutions recommended by the Adobe professional and they didn't work.

Your instructions worked.  I wasn't able to "right-click" but I followed your path using the "Go > To Folder" menu, and changed Adobe Illustrator 2021 to 2022, and was able to find the BNPlugin.aip file.  I don't know what that plug in does (other than to cause issues) but I deleted it and all seems to be working

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 12, 2023 Apr 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for providing the information, @IrvW. If you do not use a Wacom tablet and do not wish to perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of the Creative Cloud app and Illustrator, I understand your concern about losing customized settings.

In that case, I would recommend reaching out to Technical Support (https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen) for further assistance. They have specialized tools and resources that can help diagnose and resolve complex issues like this one while preserving your customized settings.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can do to assist you or if you need help contacting technical support.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is failng to launch coming up with the error – Error loading plugins, BNPlugin.aip. There is a dialog box asking if you want to launch in safe mode with instuctions to delete or update the plugin. I have tried finding the path given but that does not exist on my Mac. I have done a spotlight search for 'BNPlugin.aip' but can't find it. This is a recent propblem.

Help on what this is or where to find it would be appreciated.

Illustrator v 25.2

iMac retina 4K, 21.5 inch 2017, OS 11.2.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is maybe due to the latest version which has a bug try to install the 2020 illustrator that is the most stable yet...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The path to this plugin is at the following

/Applications/Adobe Illustrator 2021/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/Required/Plug-ins/Extensions

To show the Contents folder, right-click on Adobe Illustrator.app and choose "Show Package Content"

P.S.:- I have Illustrator 25.0.1 on a MAC 10.14.6 and it works just fine. 

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how you know these things but glad you do.

I've followed your instructions, found the plugin, deleted it and Illustrator opened without issue.

Thank you for your consise and on the button answer.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Manan Joshi..... August 2022 and the BNPlugin.aip continues to be a problem.  Thank you for this!  I tried the other solutions recommended by the Adobe professional and they didn't work.

Your instructions worked.  I wasn't able to "right-click" but I followed your path using the "Go > To Folder" menu, and changed Adobe Illustrator 2021 to 2022, and was able to find the BNPlugin.aip file.  I don't know what that plug in does (other than to cause issues) but I deleted it and all seems to be working fine.  Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Diana255593540dgz,

Good that you got it resolved. I also have faced these issues in Illustrator, infact there is one such issue unresolved on my MAC presently. I don't know what is up with Illustrator that even the plugins shipped by Adobe causes problems. I mainly deal with InDesign and such issues are very rare there. I will try and send out this feedback to the folks at Adobe and hope someone does something concrete about the QA of the shipped builds w.r.t. these plugin issues.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We are sorry about the trouble. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing this issue. I would request you to please try the steps mentioned in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/plugin-missing-issue.html) and let us know how it goes.

Please feel free to reach out if you still need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just updated AI to the latest version few days ago, and today I wanted to start using it. The first message I got in a little box is "Error loading plugins", I tried 3 times quit & restart, still get the same message.  Can someone let me know how to get rid of "Error loading plugins" SelectiveUnlock.aip message?

Thanks,

B

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're so sorry to hear about this. We have recently released an update for Illustrator 2020 (v 24.2) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on v24.2, then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If that doesn't help, please share  few more details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

If you are on Windows machine, you may also try the steps shared on this similar discussion (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/error-loading-plugins-while-launching-illustrator-2020-24...) and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Thanks for the replied.

I'm currently using AI 2019 v23.1.1, its been working fine, and most of my colleages are starting to use the latest version which I feel like I need to update.

Yes, I just now updated the latest version v24.2 like you mentioned, after updated and I tried to launch the app and its still came up with the same message, attached is the screenshot.

I'm currently on OS v10.14.6, would this be the suspect? Should I be on v10.15.5? I have not install anything unusual lately. Please let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks for the help,

BScreen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.03.43 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry about this experience. Ideally, it should work with OS v10. 14.6 as well and OS update is the last step we would try as Catalina has it's own pros and cons. It may not allow all your applications to work, please refer to this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html) before upgrading. Please try following these steps and share your observations with us:

1. Reset Preferences: -

• Close all Adobe applications.
  • Go to locations
  • ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  • ~/Library/Preferences
  • Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 24 Settings.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and Illustrator will launch with default settings. This way all your old settings will be saved in .old folders and Illustrator will recreate new folders with default settings.

2. If that doesn't help, try booting the system into Safe Mode (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/start-safe-boot-mode-mac.html) and check how it works there. It starts your system so that it performs certain checks and prevents third party software/ services from automatically loading or opening. If it works fine in Safe mode, then there is some third party service or application like antivirus, plugins or web extensions which are conflicting with the Illustrator.

3. If that doesn't help either, login to root account (https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204012). Check how application works there. If it works fine there, then it could be related to permission errors. Follow these steps to repair permission errors: https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/preferences-folder-read-only-error.html

4. If nothing helps, then we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help on a live session that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm really appreciate your help and provided me the few alternative possible solutions with step-by-step instructions. They sound very complicated and can be confusing to me, becasue I have so much work needed to be done on AI, therefore, I don't have the time to go through these steps above. So, I decided to give it a try to "Uninstall" the whole 'Illustrator 2020' off my computer, then re-Update a few minutes later. 

After the Update, I launched the Illustrator from the Creative Cloud, voila! No error message, it took me straight to the openning file page with 'Check Out What's new' page. I can't tell you how joyous I'm right now, so simple, sometimes we are over thinking it, lol.

So, I did some work, saved the work and quit out and relunched, still no error message. Keep my fingers cross.

Thank you and have a great day!

B

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2020 Jun 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Glad to hear your issue is now resolved. Feel free to reach out if there is any other concern. We'll be happy to help.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I recently updated to Illustrator 24.0.1, but now whenever I start it, it says: "Error Loading Plugins" and lists a TON of plugins. I hit OK, as it is the only option, and it then says it's running in Safe Mode and has disabled Plug-In: PaintStyle.aip. I hit Close to close the dialog box, and Illustrator loads for a couple seconds and then crashes before displaying the welcome screen. This doesn't happen when I use Illustrator 2019. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, using an older version of 2020, etc. It still crashes every time. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2020 Jan 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I'd request updating all the plugins for the Illustrator CC2020. If you do not find any plugin compatible with CC2020, please uninstall that.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know how to update the plugins. Is there a support article on how to update them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using any third party plugin, you need to see the plugin maker's website or contact them to check if they have any update for the Illustrator CC2020. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see what you mean, but I don't have any third-party plug-ins. It's listing Illustrator's built-in files when it says that some plug-ins aren't loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I solved the problem by uninstalling Illustrator and removing the preferences, and then reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry but how to remove the preferences?  I'm really confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix, work on adobe 2018 - 2020:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA0wIpsj11A

illustratorpluginloadingerror #illustratorerror #illustratorpluginloadingerror2018 So many issues in Adobe Illustrator 2018 Creative Cloud because of plugins updates. unable to solve the issues in a day. I have to contact the Adobe people to resolve the issues. My adobe CC Version is 4.5.0.33. and

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thak you SO much! This worked!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone help solve this problem for a mac? The video link provided is for pc/microsoft. I tried uninstalling and removing preferences and then re-installing and that has not worked for me. I have a long list of error loading plugins. I am working on illustrator 2020. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are they third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines