Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GPU preview greyed out.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am having a problem with my gpu preview. It's greyed out and I can't enabled it. On the performance tab, it says gpu is compatible and available. I can check the box in gpu performance and animated zoom, but somehow I can't enabled it. This is not the 1st time that it happened. It happens every now and then and it happened again today. I decided to ask it here in the forum cause I'm really pissed that I can't use it again. My gpu drivers and illustrator are both updated.

I am using a dual screen. 1 is a monitor-tablet Huion gt-191 and the other 1 is just a normal 23" Samsung monitor.

Here's the specs of my pc:

CPU: Intel I5-6600

RAM: 8GB

GPU: Nvidia Gtx 1060 6gb

I hope you guys can help me. I really need to use my illustrator as I have work to do. I can't work without the GPU preview

Thanks!

PS. sorry for the bad english. Not my 1st language

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Explorer , Apr 03, 2019 Apr 03, 2019

This might be less of a solution and more of a workaround... but I have the same problem too and I figured out that this only happens when I open Illustrator by opening an illustrator file. So when Illustrator is not open and I open an illustrator file, GPU preview is not available. If I then close the file and open it again while Illustrator stays open, GPU preview works normally.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Similar issue in Illustrator 2021 (25.2.1) on macOS. In my case, the only workaround that is working for me so far is to only work with linked images. As soon as I embed an image 'View Using GPU' is greyed out and everything gets clunky and slow.

If I hit undo after embedding an image it doesn't fix the bug. Quitting or restarting the computer doesn't necessarily help either. All I need to do is save the file with linked images and re-open it for View Using GPU to work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Hi @Nick Wilcox-Brown,

Thanks for getting back to me. Illustrator supports all Macs & the GPUs that come preinstalled and the eGPU, which is supplied by Apple for Mac Pro. I have seen creating a new user profile has resolved the issue for some users. Just for testing, please Create a new admin user account. If it works, then we can further troubleshoot the issue. It can be a different cause for everyone. Generally, the user profile gets corrupted after macOS and CCDA updates. A fresh, clean install

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Anshul, I noticed that Illustrator 27.4 was available to me download this morning and GREAT NEWS!! The GPU problem appears to be resolved! I opened up 2 files that I know definitely did not work, and today I have both files open on my PC at the same time and they appear to be very solid - GPU acceleration all the way. The scrolling speed of the screen appears to be improved as well, very smooth! I'm not sure what you guys did in the background but this looks absolutely great now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Contributor ,
Mar 08, 2023 Mar 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I usually don’t embed images I link them. Only in rare cases when I send files to China for production I actually embed pictures. And I almost always work in CMYK color range in both my images and my AI documents, because most of my work is going out for offset printing. 

There is no issue with placed RGB pictures, no matter what profile assigned and embedded. The GPU-preview only gets disabled when using CMYK images with non matching profiles embedded. There is also no problem if the image you’re placing has no profile embedded. 

Usually the color settings are synched within the Adobe applications so that all apps are using the same color profiles Meaning that if you’re saving an image in Photoshop for instance it will use the same CMYK profile you’re using in Illustrator, or Indesign. 

In some cases you need to change the profile though for certain documents profile settings according to the requirements of the printer that will be processing the job. Or you get images from someone else like a different agency that works with a different color workflow. In those cases you need to make sure that all the profiles will match otherwise you’ll run into the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if that's truly the best solution, but in this specific case where the GPU keeps cutting out because of th mismatched profiles it appears as a temporary workaround. It shouldn't be necessary as for the last decade or so it really hasn't effected the performance of the software up until version 26.2 and up

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It actually started with version 25 already. And of course it’s a workaround of the bug, like I said there is no problem with RGB profiles so it has to be a bug within the CMYK color management. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sevenKAmazing. At long last, the root cause of the bug appears to be plainly visible, Adobe should be able to reproduce this error on their side. @Anshul_Saini Please see what we have written here, you should be able to see the bug in action if you have CMYK profiles that are mismatched or used in an RGB document. I've also seen the error occure if you are using a Black/White or Greyscale image in a CMYK document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I gave @Anshul_Saini a document where he said he’s able to recreate the problem. But sadly haven’t heard anything from him anymore since then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sevenK @MegaTorque-01,

I am glad to inform you that we have tried addressing the issue in a pre-release build, v27.4-669, which is now available on Creative Cloud Desktop under the Prerelease Section.

I also wanted to let you know that I have tried the files shared by jschmed and Sevenk, and I could not replicate the same behavior on this build on both Windows & Mac machines.

Would you all mind giving it a try and letting us know if the issue has been resolved for you as well? Your feedback will help us ensure that the final release is as stable and reliable as possible.

Steps to enroll in the Prerelease program and install the prerelease build on your machine are as follows:
Please click this link (www.adobeprerelease.com/) and go to the “Available Program” section to join the Illustrator prerelease.
Then accept the Prerelease agreement and do the following steps to install the Prerelease v27.4-669:
- Close Illustrator
- Go to the Creative Cloud Desktop app > Prerelease section under apps.
- Click on install. (This will not replace the existing installation of the Release build of Illustrator).

Anshul_Saini_0-1679523130800.png

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, and we appreciate your patience & cooperation in helping us resolve this issue.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I joined and accepted but I the PreRelease section doesn’t show up in my CreativeCloud-App. I only get the Beta Option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the beta instead, the two programs are effectively interchangeable.

I raised this problem rather strongly on the beta group a couple of weeks ago and delighted that @Anshul_Saini is on the case. This has been going on for too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh thnx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul, I noticed that Illustrator 27.4 was available to me download this morning and GREAT NEWS!! The GPU problem appears to be resolved! I opened up 2 files that I know definitely did not work, and today I have both files open on my PC at the same time and they appear to be very solid - GPU acceleration all the way. The scrolling speed of the screen appears to be improved as well, very smooth! I'm not sure what you guys did in the background but this looks absolutely great now!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MegaTorque-01,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to download Illustrator 27.4 prerelease and that the GPU problem seems to be resolved.

Also, I wanted to let you know that we just released version v27.4 in a phased manner, which is available in certain countries and soon be available worldwide.

Additionally, I'm pleased to share that we've been working diligently to ensure that the latest version of Illustrator is stable and reliable, and your other user's feedback has been invaluable in achieving that. Thank you for your patience and cooperation in helping us resolve this issue.

Best,

Anshul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini,

I just downloaded and installed v23.4 as well, and I finally understand why you probably weren’t able to recreate my issue. 

The problem still occurred in my test file, so I played around with the general Color Management Settings and set them to "European, PrePress“ which I’m assuming is the standard setting for Europe. In those settings the CMYK handling is set to „keep values, delete embedded profiles“ and to my surprise the problem with that document was solved. However if I set the CMYK Color Management to „Keep embedded profiles“ instead the problem still persists. 

So I could solve the problem by having the embedded profiles deleted, but that would actually only be a workaround again, don’t you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for testing in v27.4 and redescribing the issue @sevenK.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. After reading your message, I was able to replicate the issue you mentioned. However, to ensure that we provide you with accurate information, I'll need to check with our product team to confirm if this is the intended workflow or if it's a bug. Rest assured, I'll do everything in my power to get this resolved for all.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, and please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini anything that involves a legitimate colour management choice disabling GPU should be considered a bug. That includes embedded profiles, which are essential in a colour managed workflow.

I have long been mystified why colour managment in illustrator is so far behind Photoshop and other apps in the sense that colour profiles should always be embedded in graphics; it should not be a choice, because conversion or ignoring them can be done on a one by one basis on opening.

Related: Education is a must for the design community to match that of the photo community 10 to 15 years ago. Embedding colour profiles enables true managment of colour. Working in the photo, design and movie fields, I constantly see issues with design assets that lack profiles that define their colour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 07, 2023 Mar 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did not solve the problem at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem is STILL happening in 2024! With strictly Illustrator-created vector files, no embedded or linked images, no color profile weirdness. Just randomly happens while working with a file. I notice the outlines for the selected object get rough looking and certain display features stop working, and wonder what the heck happened. Sure enough, GPU is grayed out suddenly. GPU Performance is turned on in the Preferences. I've had it happen multiple times for no apparent reason, even with pretty basic files on a very capable computer. Closing Illustrator and opening it again seems to solve the issue, but it shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2024 Feb 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Jennifer5EEE,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind checking if Illustrator behaves this way with all files? If yes, kindly try manually resetting Illustrator's preferences and checking if it helps:

For macOS

• Close all Adobe applications.

• Go to the following locations

• ~/Library/Caches

• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

• ~/Library/Preferences

• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings.old

• Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

user-library.png

For Windows

- Close all Adobe applications.

- Go to Location C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

- Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 28 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator - 28 Settings.old

- Relaunch Illustrator from Creative Cloud

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines