Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gude log / Illustrator

New Here ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

since the last Illustrator update three days ago, my computer (Windows 10) creates a gude-log file in the same folder every time I open an Illustrator file. Is anyone else experiencing this and is there a solution? Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update regarding the "gude log" file issue that has been affecting you all. As some of you may be aware, we have been working to address this issue.

We encourage you all to update to the latest Illustrator version (v27.3.1) and let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

Best,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 15, 2022 Aug 15, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry for the trouble. A bug is logged for this, and the product team is investigating the issue.

Would you mind upvoting this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/45410827-can-t-do-changes-to-the-containing-folder-gude)?

In the meantime, you may try unchecking the Automatic Proxy from the Internet options and check if it helps.
Internet Properties > Connections> LAN settings> Uncheck Automatically Detect settings

Anshul_Saini_0-1664215564970.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally Agree @willcampbell7 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2023 Feb 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why Adobe is allowing these files in the work folder that we are working from.  Why not have them created in the Temp folder?  BUT if it's impacting not being able to move a folder, that's a little bit too far I think!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree with @willcampbell7 

I have been having this issue for months. It all started with Illustrator, then Photoshop and now After Effects. It stopped for a while, now it is back with another program. Once it starts to create Gude.logs somehow my programs start lagging. Had to restart over and over again. In the middle of the work it crashes. It is not about one file. I tried to create brand new files, moved everything inside. Even changed file types, downsized etc. Same, nothing has changed.

I am connecting to a cloud computer at work. Not sure how creating Gude.logs is related to slowing the workflow though. I am just observing what is going on, on my screen is all. If I don't see Gude.logs in my folder, everything is just fine, flowing. I checked all the hardware requirements for my computer as well. I have all I need to run all Adobes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Started happening to me about 3 weeks ago, when I started working with a friend.  He uploads .tiff files from Procreate on ipad to Google Drive, and I download to my Windows 10 system and open in Photoshop.  I only noticed it happen when I opened his Mac files for the last three weeks.  I updated to latest Photoshop yesterday. First file I opened this morning is one of my own .PSD files, which immediately generated a gude.log file. 

Nothing in my anecdote to point to one thing, but maybe combined with others' experiences, it may help to rule out other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another breaking update.

For Photoshop I can say thay reverting/downgrading to version 24.1 has helped.

I have slowed my updating of Adobe apps significantly. Only update when your current one is broken, slow, or you really need a new feature in new version. Otherwise my advice is to NOT update - the last 3 years for me only have added bugs/problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

annoying gude log. Still not fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2023 Feb 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will be end of February or later. I would suggest reverting to an older version.
My auto-sync backup and also Github links all started failing / erroring out thanks to these 'virus' files that you cannot delete (at least not when you have an Adobe App open).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's back. This time Illustrator. File that is open is on a network share on Windows Server 2012 R2. Client computer is Windows 11, Illustrator version 27.2.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing same issues with Photoshop. I'm using Windows 10 and Photoshop 24.1.1. 

Is making gude log necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other site (user voice) has indicated the problem is fixed in the next release.

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. Seems to have started in January or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TL;DR

I opened an Illustrator file in the newest version of Illustrator by editing a smart object in Photoshop 2021, and for the first time in my history of using Photoshop every day for 30 years, I encountered this mysterious 'gude' log file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd never heard of, nor experienced, this issue until last week (well, technically, it happened last week, but I only noticed it today). I've seen other comments that say they use a file to open the application, either by double-clicking or by accessing the context menu for the file and choosing "Open with... ." I've also see where some are saying that this didn't start happening until they updated to the latest version—although, that can't 100% be it, as this has been an issue since May 2022, long before the latest version (as of the date of this comment) was even a twinkle in the developers' eyes.

That being said... Last week—possibly on the same day as my first 'gude' file, I updated to the latest version of Photoshop & Illustrator (24.2.0.315 & 27.2.0.339, respectively). I never intentionally open either application by clicking on a file; instead, I start my day by opening Photoshop using the app shortcut. If I need Illustrator, I'll open that also by using the app shortcut. Call it superstition, but I like to have the program completely load before I ask it to do anything. It's habit at this point—been doing it for over 30 years, so it's highly unlikely that's going to change. I also never use Bridge because over a decade ago, when attempting to give it a shot, it severly bogged down my machine, to the point that productivity took a nosedive to 0%. So, that was that. Never had a reason to experiment with it again.

Anyway, a couple of points to ponder:

I updated to the latest version of Photoshop, but I still use 2021 because it's set up exactly how I need it. (Yes, I could experiment with the new version, test a few scenarios, and take the time to migrate plug-ins and whatnot... but that's time, and time is not a luxury I can afford right now.) So this 'gude' file I discovered couldn't have been triggered by opening and working in the latest version of Photoshop.

However... I did (unintentionally) open the latest version of Illustrator by double-clicking on a smart object in my Photoshop file. (I didn't realize it was going to be an Illustrator file, or I wouldn't even have tried to edit it... again, it's a workflow thing.) So that is kind of intruguing, I suppose. Or maybe not. Just thought I'd add my experience into the mix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Figured I should also post the contents of my one-and-only 'gude' file in case it helps:

dugfresh36_0-1677540815419.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update regarding the "gude log" file issue that has been affecting you all. As some of you may be aware, we have been working to address this issue.

We encourage you all to update to the latest Illustrator version (v27.3.1) and let me know if you continue to experience any issues.

Best,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am now using the latest versions of Illustrator (27.6.1.210) and Photoshop (24.6.0.573), and have not experienced another 'gude' file instance. Even prior to updating to these latest versions, I didn't experience the 'gude' file anomaly again since that first time.

I also didn't mention the first time around that 99.9% of the time I work locally—no files opening and saving over the network, or to/from Adobe Cloud servers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2023 Jul 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also experiencing the same concern.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ravi5C18,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience. To better assist you, could you please confirm the version of Illustrator you are using? Additionally, it would be helpful to know if you are working with files stored on an online drive or server or if you are working locally on your computer.

Looking forward to your response.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines