• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to maintain Illustrator pen tool stroke settings (size, brush, etc.) for all new paths?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a newbie, so this is probably obvious, but I can't find it in any tutorials or documentation.  In Illustrator I want to maintain the stroke settings while creating several paths with the pen tool.  However, every time I start a new path, the stroke settings revert to what must be a default.  E.g. I set 16pt + Variable width profile + Basic and stroke a path.  When I start a new path, the settings revert to 1pt + Uniform + Basic, and I have to reset back to my original. Other art programs I've used maintain the tool settings most recently used until they are manually changed.  How can I get the settings to stay through multiple uses of the pen tool?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 07, 2013 Jan 07, 2013

Hi Bion_s,

In the course of playing around in Illustrator to find a solution, I found that if you open your appearance panel (Window > Appearance), select the fly-out menu and deselect New Art has Basic Appearance.

Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 3.16.51 PM.png

I found that with this option unselected, you can select your stroke width and profile and draw multiple times without it reverting to the default stroke!

Please let me know if this works for you. I'm not sure how this might affect your workflow on other projects, but it did result in th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the appearance panel's menu uncheck "New Art has basic appearance"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monica and mjarrott,  thank you both for your super-fast replies with a (to me very un-obvious) solution that works perfectly!  Exactly what I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved Monica 🙂 Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2022 Jul 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Monika Gause , This seems like the perfect solution - but using InDesign in 2022, this setting doesn't appear to exist? Do you know where they might have moved it to?

The appearance panel is now built into the properties tab and doesn't have a fly out menu with options. I have searched other menus and properties and can not find "New Art has basic appearance" anywhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ignore me - I thought this was about InDesign. I really need this setting for InDesign too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has a way to change the defaults very easily. Start InDesign, make sure no documents are open. Change any setting in any panel. 

The next time you create a document it will have these settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bion_s,

In the course of playing around in Illustrator to find a solution, I found that if you open your appearance panel (Window > Appearance), select the fly-out menu and deselect New Art has Basic Appearance.

Screen Shot 2013-01-07 at 3.16.51 PM.png

I found that with this option unselected, you can select your stroke width and profile and draw multiple times without it reverting to the default stroke!

Please let me know if this works for you. I'm not sure how this might affect your workflow on other projects, but it did result in the behavior you seemed to want.

Cheers,

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, see my reply to Monica and thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this not the default!!! Thank you. I am finding every new tool I learn I have to Google Why doesn't this work the obvious way. There is typically some short cut keys I have to press or some weird order I have to do it in to get it to work like everyone seems to assume it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 14, 2017 May 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sef23fwa3fg324  schrieb

Why is this not the default!!!

Because about as many people are irritated when new artwork have effects applied (which on top if that might slow down Illustrator considerably).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my saviour, I am eternally grateful. You should have a Nobel Peace Prize

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10 years later and this still works. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of this worked for me. my pen tool wont stay in the basic line type and keeps changing back to the previously used one. It wont maintain the thickness or line type i command and its ruining my project. Pen tool is literally useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean with "Basic line type"? A brush?

Are you really using the pen tool? Or is it the brush tool?

What exactly are you doing there? Step by step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry *paintbutsh tool*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A "Basic" brush is not a brush at all, but a simple stroke.

The brush tool cannot sraw with a simple stroke. It must use a brush.

In order to draw with a simple stroke, just use the pencil tool and not the brush tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a different solution, but the problem may be different.

Basically I was using the brush tool but each new shape I drew didn't have a fill (I wanted it to have the exact same fill and stroke as the previous drawn shape).

Solution: double click the brush tool in the tool panel (where all the tools are - pencil, shapes, pentool ect.) - then check "fill new strokes" and voila!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WAS GREATLY HELPFULL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I am on CC 2019 illustrator and I am having this same or similar problem. I unchecked the option mentioned above but the pen tool changes settings everytime I click a different shape. Is there a way to maintain the pen tool settings no matter what object you click? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly is your issue? What exactly does change? Which settings are you referring to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines