• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator could not open this file. We tried to read it but it's too damaged to recover

Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was working on a file today, and mid trying to save it, my laptop died. (so annoying)

When I got my laptop back up and running a few minutes later, I tried to open the document (didn't care if my most recent changes were gone) and I got this error.

I emailed that address like it said to but was wondering if anyone had a quicker fix.

NOTE: I do not have this in PDF form so there's no PDF to try to recover the info either.

I've been working on this file for the last 3 days without any problems. I also checked my recovery file and it's empty.

brittneyv20955540_0-1597258257398.png

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Brittney,

I have tried to alert an Adobe staff friend about this.

No backup?

It is always recommended to create backups with different names regularly, and to store backups in more than one place/way.

And also to save often.

You may use Autosaviour,
https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/autosaviour

If you have a CC subscription, saving files in your Creative Cloud Files folder will automatically create and keep versions up to 10 days,
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/crash-file-data-recovery.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brittney,

I have tried to alert an Adobe staff friend about this.

No backup?

It is always recommended to create backups with different names regularly, and to store backups in more than one place/way.

And also to save often.

You may use Autosaviour,
https://astutegraphics.com/plugins/autosaviour

If you have a CC subscription, saving files in your Creative Cloud Files folder will automatically create and keep versions up to 10 days,
https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/crash-file-data-recovery.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/sync-files.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/versioning-faq.html

And there is also the new concept of Cloud documents,
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/using/cloud-documents.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes. Thank you. For some reason, my recovery saving was inactive. Not sure why but I changed that.

I also don't seem to have the checkbox option to save to the cloud. Oh well!

I want to get my file recovered. I'll keep waiting for my response from Adobe. Thank you though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same problem.
Has your file been recovered? I just sent the file to adobe email.
I am trying to recover the file on websites and programs, but they are paid.
If Adobe doesn't answer me I will have to pay to try to resolve it.

I read the comment above, but the program doesn't save complex files. So in my case it had autosave active, but it didn't because it was a 1Gb file.

If you managed to recover the file, can you help me please? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Patricia,

We have never seen what happened, but you can try to use the email and follow the instructions in the answer here by Rama to get help from our Adobe staff friends:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/the-file-is-damaged-and-could-not-be-repaired-in-illustra...

The email: ShareWithAi@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @patriciam3146867,

Sorry to hear about that. Would it be possible for you to share the file with me? You can upload it to creative cloud/ Dropbox/ Google Drive and share the download link here or via DM. We'll try to recover it.
I must also inform you that file recovery can't be guaranteed with 100% success. We'll surely try our best.

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jacob Bugge

Happy New Year!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2021 Dec 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And Happy New Year to you, Anshul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshul, I have a file with the same problem, any chance you could help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Juman24938756subo,

Sorry for the delayed response. Please share your file over DM, and I will try my best to recover it.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello sir, I experienced the same thing today. I sent a DM to you. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, me too I have the issue with a file,

If you found the solution just reply here please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @thehycut,

Thanks for sending the file via DM. I was able to recover a thumbnail but was unable to successfully open the file. I have forwarded the file to the product team. We'll try our best to recover the file.

Please allow us some time to investigate it further and stay patient.

Anshul_Saini_0-1667520230193.png

Thanks,
Anshul Siani

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @hassoun26938645rh1z,

Thanks for reaching out. I would suggest sending the download link to the file over DM with me, as there are no steps or guides to recover corrupt files. We test & try to revive the file source code, like the header and footers. etc.

Looking forward to the file.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_nr5wKIBsk_Lcj45cND-keOH2ej3N4-t/view?usp=sharing please try to recover this!! I am so tired to trying for recover the file!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please try to recover this!! I am so tired to trying for recover the file!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2022 Nov 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2022 Dec 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Anshul, I have a file with the same problem, any chance you could help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Udara27556210q3jc,

Thanks for reaching out. Please share your file over DM, and I will try my best to recover it.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2023 May 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but after I convert my file to pdf (you could try an online converter) its works for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@yulioadicandra  schrieb:

I have the same problem, but after I convert my file to pdf (you could try an online converter) its works for me

If that works, then probably what you can do is:

1. Create a new Illustrator file

2. Place the corrupt file in it.

The "online converter" will possibly ruin a lot ion your file. Also: you might not want to upload your precious file to a third party you don't even know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @yulioadicandra,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the community. It's great to hear that converting your file to PDF helped resolve the issue for you. However, we understand that this may not be a viable solution for everyone.

In order to better understand the issue and potentially find a fix, it would be extremely helpful if you could share the problematic file and the recovered converted file with us. Our product team is always looking for ways to improve the performance and stability of our products, and having access to these files may help them get more insight into the issue.

Thank you for your willingness to help us resolve this problem. We appreciate your support and look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2023 Aug 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hei Anshul, i have same issues and i already dm you, please reply. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines