• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator crashes when I try to move an object with the selection tool

Explorer ,
May 24, 2013 May 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs in a new or existing document. I have tried all the solutions I can think of.

1. Reinstalled AI

2. Deleted the prefernces. This worked temporarily, and inevitably AI crashes and the problem reoccurs.

3. Disabled my wireless mouse.

I have a similar problem in InDesign. However, InDesign won't crash.

This is a serious flaw, and its driving me nuts. The only thing I can think is that my software is bad, or Illustrator CS6 is very unstable.

Any one have a different work around besides what I mentioned above?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Hey all - This is Laurel from Pushbullet.

We ran into the same issue, and were able to solve the problem on our systems just by restarting.

Many of our users that have emailed in have found that disabling Universal Copy & Paste solves the problem for them.

Something in the way that Chrome manages the copy / paste feature seems to be throwing some people's Adobe programs for a loop.

Sorry about all this. Definitely let us know what works and what doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2014 Sep 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve attached both the cache and preference examples. I’m not sure if your having a similar problem with InDesign (the move tool won’t work). If that’s the case, you’ll also have to do the same thing with the InDesign files. Hope this helps.

Here’s the cache example:

Here’s the Preferences #1:

Here’s the preferences #2:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jmaster808 but what I ended up doing was shutting down my computer and resetting the preferences on start up. That did the trick but I hate doing it because this is my work computer which is connected to servers and now I need to get my IT guy to reconnect the servers for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you. This bug has been the biggest pain. It crashes at least 2-3x a day. I or Adobe haven't found another solution yet.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same situation with both Illustrator CC and After Effects CC. Can't move any object as both apps crash immediately. So annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found what was causing my issue. It turned out to be a chrome extension (Pushbullet). I spoke to someone at pushbullet and they confirmed they had just got the same crashing issue and couldn't work it out themselves. So they are now working on a solution.

To get the fix to work I had to turn off the extension, then delete the cache on my computer (on Mac) go to Go > (hold ALT) Library > Cache. Delete everything in here. Also go to Go > Computer > Library > Cache. Delete everything in here.

Then reboot your machine, Illustrator should now work. You can then empty your trash which contains all the old cache files.

If you don't have pushbullet. Try turning your extensions off methodically and narrow it down to the one causing the issue.

That's my input on the issue any way. Hope it helps some people out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2014 Dec 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my god. You just saved my sanity. It was indeed Pushbullet in my case. Followed your recommendations and I'm back to normal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2014 Dec 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

franharrington

*Knock on wood* it helped in my case. I owe you a beer (or equivalent) dude. It's a pity though, because I'm pretty dependant on Pushbullet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YOU ARE MY HERO. I had to reboot after removing Pushbullet, but this fixed crashes in several Adobe apps for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've never posted on a forum before but i felt you really needed to know how wonderful your solution was. This has saved me days of fretting. I can't believe it's such an easy fix and i owe you ever so much for help with this. THANK YOU!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pushbullet was the culprit for me as well! HUGE thanks to the folks on this post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add that the Pushbullet plugin affect other programs as well, it is not just Illustrator. I have several programs that get this annoying error too, InDesign, my mailprogram (I'm not using Apple Mail) and Dragthing are the ones I found so far. But now Pushbullet is deleted, which also is a pain because I like it a lot. Hope for a better version soon. I'm on Mac OSX 10.8.5 and the Pushbullet Mac app is only for 10.9 and up 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, Pushbullet for Mac seems to be in it's beta stage at the moment anyway and doesn't function nearly as well as the Chrome plugin. You can't use backspace or even select text for the Mac app, and the quick notifications don't have the same appearance as the Chrome plugin. I think perhaps if you could manage it, just disable Universal Copy and Paste for the chrome plugin and see if that solves the issue. Pushbullet is great, but this issue is kind of rendering it useless at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pushbullet was the culprit for me too, but only the Chrome extension. I'm so grateful to you for discovering this problem. The OSX version doesn't seem to cause any problem – I've left that installed and only taken out the Chrome extension, and all is well with InDesign and Illustrator. And I now realise that since installing the OSX version, I've not used the extension anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been driving me crazy for the last weeks. I uninstalled, cleaned preferences and use the adobe clean utility, reinstall everything. Nothing worked. FInally, I cleaned my system font cache and aplications font cache. That worked!!!

I hope this helps.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem came back and finally the pushbullet thing solved it. Thanks fellas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2014 Dec 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is purely a Pushbullet problem. Deactivate that and the whole problem goes away. Thank you Matt_Pixel. I've just spent two days wrestling with this and illustrator crashing constantly. Constant re-installs and lost work. I've emailed the developer of PushBullet about this also.

If you have it - turn it off immediately!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all - This is Laurel from Pushbullet.

We ran into the same issue, and were able to solve the problem on our systems just by restarting.

Many of our users that have emailed in have found that disabling Universal Copy & Paste solves the problem for them.

Something in the way that Chrome manages the copy / paste feature seems to be throwing some people's Adobe programs for a loop.

Sorry about all this. Definitely let us know what works and what doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

goodbyepepper:

Disabling Universal Copy&Paste has worked for me so far as well. Thanks, and keep up the good work. Really bad luck with this Chrome thing, cause Pushbullet truly is a fantastic extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Laurel,

Just wanted to let you know that I had exactly the same issues, and disabling Universal Copy/Paste completely fixed them.

I am running Snow Leopard on a old Mac Pro, with the PB extension in the latest version of Chrome, and CS6. I had drag and drop issues in InDesign as well as Illustrator, but no crashes there. It just wouldn't let me drag anything. Not sure if this is a separate issue or not as it occasionally extended to Finder...

Thanks for Pushbullet by the way - it's the best thing about Android!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do I find the Universal Copy&Paste?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Pushbullet preferences.‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2015 Feb 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok i'v got it 🙂 thank god and thanks to the nicest Indian guy from Adobe support.

So any way its all about Chrome Extensions.

For me it was an extension i have installed yesterday called "Pushbullet".

After removing it and restarting my Mac Book Pro problem solved.

Good luck you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a Pushbutton problem (exclusively) because I am having the same issue & have never heard of Pushbutton prior to this thread. I am working with a Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, late 2013. Tried every troubleshoot listed here to no effect. It is very troubling that I cannot even perform the most basic of tasks in Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem for 4 months.  I have tried everything in this thread.  I have deleted preferences and caches and rebooted.  I have disabled all  Chrome extensions and rebooted.  I have completely uninstalled Illustrator and InDesign and reinstalled them and it's still happening Illustrator and InDesign is completely unuseable.  Mac Pro mid 2010 Yosemite 10.10.3 happened on CS6 CC2014 and CC2015.  It did not happen on CS5.  I don't know what else to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines