• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Locked] How do I get a transparent background in my Illustrator file?

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2010 Jul 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm relatively new to Illustrator, (I'm working in CS4) and created a corporate logo for one of my clients.  When I place the logo into Photoshop or InDesign, the logo is in a white box.  How can I make the background transparent in the original Illustrator file?

Views

1.6M

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Illustrator >> View >> Show transparency grid

You will see a checkerboard pattern showing you where you have tranparency.

Save your .ai fle with pdf compatible and place into InDesign

If you placed as .eps in InDesign you need to

InDesgin>>View >> Display Performace >> High quality Display

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course there are various reasons for doing things that way. but i think it's people posting stuff about converting to psd or png without any other context like it's the catch-all answer that is frustrating Will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

, the OP asked about placing the file into Photoshop or InDesign, not about whatever situation you were in that made PNG the only option. There's a definitive answer that should have been marked as such, but has been lost in the noise you're now contributing to:

Save as AI and Show Import Options.

Willi can be quite scolding, but I'd rather that than misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look, dude, it's turning into a mess was not my doing. it was a mess when i arrived. neither myself nor my partner could parse the forking thing, but it was supposedly the thread we needed to read. if i added yet another answer, just like i said, that might in future help some other lost person who also arrived hereupon, semi-desperate, and then tried to read through the murk to find nothing, there is nothing wrong with that. i get bored with cliques quickly, especially when their foundation is a circle of self-congratulation. boy, the ruin that became of the internet. i'd be real happy if you'd do me the kindness of leaving me out of this conversation from now on. the stuff keeps appearing in my inbox and i am sick of it. i know now never to show up at adobe again, which is kind of sad, because it wasn't always this bad. it is now, and i am tired of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi. Well I don't know much about that, but an experiment helped me to do it flawlessly and I am sure it will assist you as well.

I created a Jpeg file with white background and converted it into PNG. The steps are simple. (I have only tried in Photoshop so i only know that.):

1. Open your image (in white or any background in Photoshop (i am using Photoshop CC 2015).

2. Right click on the eraser tool and select Background Eraser tool.

3. For efficiency zoom in your image and wherever there is white background click on it, not need to be much careful but do clicks on its surroundings one by one and you will be able to get it transparent. After you are done. press Save in PNG. You will be able to easily post it as a PNG with  transparent background wherever you like.

First one is white background, second is transparent. Sorry as the board of community is white therefore you can't see any difference but it works like the way i say it.

cross.png  crosspng.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines