Exit

Losing GPU/Scrubby zoom when clicking into items

New Here ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator version: 26.5.2

Mac OS Monterey Version 12.6.2

The problem is kind of a mass of issues within illustrator. there are bounding box issues, sometimes items will not drag (only the outline will), double clicking into items will cause it to black out if there are too many objects, and we lose the use of scrubby zoom. The use GPU is greyed out. Seems to be something with the GPU I'm really not sure.  

When working in a brand new file scrubby zoom will work and the GPU won't be greyed out until you double click into an object, the screen will flash black and I lose the use of Scrubby zoom and the GPU option becomes greyed out. The GPU and animated zoom will still be checked but are not actually working. It seems to be a bug with no fix at the moment but I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I included a video of it happening maybe someone else can replicate it

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting your AI preferences?

The black flash and the fact that you then lose GPU leans towards a graphics card issue.

There have been other post noting issues with the GPU scrubby zoom but this is the first I've seen with a clear indication with the black flash before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Shea245356620o1w,

We are sorry for the trouble. I hope resetting preferences, as suggested by Kevin, helped. If not, I would recommend updating macOS 13.1 & AI v27.1.1 to see if that helps. If not, I would suggest trying the steps mentioned in this community post and sharing your observation with us.

Kindly update the discussion if you still need assistance with it. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 06, 2023 Jan 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say that you are not on your own and I see the same issue even on a PC. I spend most of my days working in CPU mode for who knows what reason at this point. My work always starts fine, and as it gets more complicated the GPU Setting just dies, does not happen on any illustrator version before 26.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MegaTorque-01,

Sorry for the trouble. This has been reported by some users recently. The product team has requested a few details: Would you mind confirming the system's specification, including GPU make & model, and sharing a couple of files in which you are facing this issue here or via DM? I will share it with the product team for further investigation.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2023 Jan 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul, I've sent you a private message with a link to the file. Please note that previous verrsions of lllustrator did not have any performance problems, so I've had to revert to using Illustrator 26 to keep my work going as smooth and fast as I've known Illustrator to be. I look forward to your response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @MegaTorque-01  do you perhaps have more than one graphics card installed? Like an Nvidia and an internal Intel?

If so try the suggested solutions on this page. I know it says PS, but it deals directly with GPU issues caused by conflicting cards:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#multiple-gpus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the follow up but the problem is not with my hardware. I have no other GPU problems anywhere across my entire PC except for Illustrator starting after version 27. You can actually run 2 versions of illustrator at the same time, and if you have the exact same problem file open on both you can clearly see the huge decrease in performance from one version to the other. It's always version 27 that breaks, never version 26. I am just hoping for a proper update that addresses these GPU issues. Till then, I have to stick with Illustrator 26.2.1 as that was the last version that didn't have these bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here to back up MegaTorque's response. I work with the original poster of this issue and it's happening to 3-4 of our users in house on our Mac Studios as well as beginning to happen sporadically on my PC at home. Same issue, no hardware problems. The initial issue on our Mac Studios is replicable with the black flash and everything. I'm downgrading to 26.2.1 to see if the problem persists, but yeah any version beyond that has been horrible to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to see these issues are getting more traction, I would love if you could reply back here after installing 26.2.1 and let me know if you see the exact same thing. Adobe should be utterly ashamed of the absolutely poor quality control of this software package. I use this software to help make a living for myself and I literally go almost into a panic attack when a new update is announced, what's going to break or not work next? It's ALWAYS the features you use most that break or degrade, never anything that's barely used in the software. Who needs GPU acceleration right? Very frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not disagreeing - but who is forcing you to upgrade? I try to take the stance of wait and see and turn off auto updates specifically to avoid any fall out when new software is announced. No reason to panic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @erindynamic @MegaTorque-01,

As Kevin suggested, would you mind checking & confirming if forcing the main dedicated NVIDIA/AMD GPU and disabling the integrated GPU helps?

Steps to force dedicated GPU:

NVIDIA:

a. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose the NVIDIA control panel.

b. Click Manage 3D settings.

c. Click Program Settings and add Illustrator.exe and sniffer.exe. Change the preferred graphics processor to a High-performance NVIDIA processor.

AMD:

a. Right-click anywhere on the desktop and choose the AMD Catalyst Control Center or Configure Switchable Graphics.

b. Click Browse and choose High Performance instead of Power Saving.

Steps to disable integrated GPU:
Go to the Device Manager on Windows. In the Device Manager > Display Adapters, right-click the card's name (for example, Intel HD graphics) and choose Disable.

Also, a bug has been logged for the issue with the product team, and they are currently investigating the issue. They are looking for files in which this behavior is replicable. So, if you have files in which this issue is reproducible, please share the link to the documents here or via DM. It would be really helpful for us.

I will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anshul, my PC does not have an integrated GPU, only a dedicated Nvidia GPU so this problem does not apply to me personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming that, @MegaTorque-01. And thanks for the details info you sent via DM. I will be reverting to you shortly on the DM to discuss this further.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific Nvidia GPU are you running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @kevin stohlmeyer@MegaTorque-01 has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines