• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure is greyed out in Illustrator on Wacom Tablet on macOS Bug Sur

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2021 Sep 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased a Wacom tablet today to work in Illustrator. Despite making sure I followed every step based on System Preferences, the Illustrator pen pressure is still greyed out. I know do not what to do. I've unistalled and restalled this Wacom program multiple times.

I'm running OS Big Sur, I followed a document with steps - still nothing. Very frustrating.

Has anyone has this issue? What am I missing?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Hi @jacaizda_555,

Sorry for the delayed response. We understand this is a long-standing issue, but it is resolved with update v26.2.1. Please update the app. This update fixes the issue of Wacom tablets not having pen pressure on macOS.

However, if you are not using a Wacom tablet, then I would suggest you install both the Wacom driver & your tablet driver, which will help you get the pen pressure. This is a tested resolution/ workaround for Non-Wacom tablets, and we have confirmed this with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're not missing anything, many other people have this issue. I had the same problem and was going mad (both insane and angry). 
TL:DR (I have this from Adobe Illustrator Support, not the forums) this problem is due to Apple changing the way permissions work. It is NOT a Wacom driver issue. 

Short term work-rounds:
1. (Worked for me for Photoshop as well as Illustrator) Go to your Brush Library -> Open Brush Library -> Wacom 6D brushes. Select one of those brushes, see if it is pressure-sensitive. I found those brushes to work when no Adobe native brush allowed me to select 'pressure' as a control. You can redefine that brush to be whatever brush (hardness/softness/size) you need. 

2. Again, worked for me. Open a .eps or .ai file produced in an earlier version of Illustrator. Copy a pressure-sensitive brush stroke and paste it into your new Illustrator document. It brought its brush with it and that brush retained the pressure sensitivity.

From memory, once I'd done this on at least one occasion all the other brushes became pressure sensitive, even the ones that shouldn't be. But I could turn it off.

Sort-of explanation for the problem: The fact that some brushes worked perfectly while others did not told me that this was NOT a Wacom issue. The problem is that in the new OS the adobe software needs new/additional/different permissions to access the system controls/wacom data. If you look at System Preferences -> Security&Privacy -> Privacy, Wacom AND Adobe software must be showing in 'Accessibility' and in 'Automation' if Adobe software is to work as it should.
If you have to run the apps via terminal (?this is what the support person said, I don't know what it means but I know how to do it, described below) the brushes will work. Or so he said. If not, use the Wacom 6D brushes reconfigured until they work out how to solve this.

To run Illustrator via terminal:
Open your Applications folder, open the 'Adobe Illustrator 2022' folder.
Left-click or control-click on 'Adobe Illustrator 2022.app', select 'show package contents'
Open 'Contents', open 'MacOS'.  You will see a file (icon is Unix Executable) named 'Adobe Illustrator'. Run it.
This opens a Terminal window, then Adobe Illustrator 2022 fires up. In theory the brushes will be useable in the app opened like this, but by the time I tried it I'd tried so many things that I can't remember if it worked or not.

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2022 Jan 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey - Thanks so much for those details.

So heres how it went:

#1 got it, understood

#2 can't do since I dont have files from before 2021 - I'm a newbie here in school for Graphic Design.

Next section, I had previously checked and confirmed that next part you layed out about going into the system preferences - done.  

However I found under 'Automation' the Illustrator app option does not show up there so couldn't check any boxes for it, but the Wacom desktop center and driver options did show up there though, and checked.

And I just tried the last part you listed but no luck there either -bummer...

TY for sharing your findings tho!

Hope they work it out sooner than later -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. If I open an old file with the correct settings and select a brush stroke with the correct settings, and then start painting, it works. Apparently you can use the pressure setting as long as it already exists in the file. You simply cannot turn the setting on in a new file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We are really sorry to hear about your experiences. The product team is aware of the issue, and they are currently working on a fix. I would request you and others to please be patient and stay tuned for the updates.

In the meantime, I would request you to reach out to me via DM. I will provide you with a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020.

Note: The download link expires after 24 hours. So, I will be sharing the download link via DM only until this issue gets fixed.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

need help with this too...

thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Gadi Gershon,

I've sent a DM. Please check!

Thanks & regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked!

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 

same problem here. Could you DM me the dowload link for the 2020 version?

Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @MFW-design,

I've sent the link on DM. Please check.

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2022 Mar 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi anshul, please help with this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 

can you please send me a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020 as well!

thank you so much 👍🙏

Carey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2022 Feb 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 

can you please send me a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020 as well!

thank you so much 👍🙏

Carey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 

would you please send me a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020 as well!

thank you so much

Herbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Carey5CFD & @Herbert23379458pzfq,

I've sent a link again on DM. Please check!

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2022 Mar 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Anshul, this has solved the problem!
 Thank you very much, regards Herbert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2022 Mar 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini,

Would you mind please sending me a direct download link to an Illustrator version 2020 as well?

Thank you,

Wynand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @S Wolaard,

I've replied to your DM.

Please check!

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have the same problem. I cannot download illustrator 2020 😞

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @simonl55733638,

I've sent a DM. Please Check!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have this problem too.

If you could help please let me know thankyou

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @thomasd21833968,

I've sent a DM. Please Check!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Anshul_Saini 

thank you so much 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Farida23592429j1x4,

I've sent the link over DM. Please Check!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @Anshul_Saini I sent you a DM. Currently having the same issue! Much appreciation!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Aeron236095652au6,

Sorry for the delayed response.
I've sent the link over DM. Please Check!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines