• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen pressure sensitivity not working in Illustrator 2020 on macOS

Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to draw on Illustrator using the calligraphic brush tool the line doesn't respond to pressure sensitivity. I am using Illustrator 2020, a MacBook Pro 19, a Wacom Bamboo Capture, and a calligraphic brush that worked for me in the past. I know that the issue is with Illustrator because I'm able to draw pressure sensitive lines using Photoshop.

If I try to create a new calligraphic brush, Fixed and Random are the only options, Pressure and the others are all greyed out.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 5.10.50 PM.pngI've spent about 2 hours trying every solution to similar issues that I've seen posted here, including restarting my computer, resetting my preferences, deleting and reinstalling Illustrator, and giving Illustrator access to my computer in security & privacy settings, but nothing has worked. My tablet isn't the issue, as it works fine in other programs. Does anyone know a fix for this?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Draw and design , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Sep 18, 2022 Sep 18, 2022

Hi All,

I am glad to inform you this issue is resolved with update v26.4. Please update the app. This update fixes the issue of tablets not having pen pressure on macOS.

Note: current version of Illustrator is v26.5. I recommend updating to the latest. Let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

It's all good, i found what the issue was. I had turned off Touch Screen earlier in the day because i was getting annoyed at my hand constantly interfering while i was trying to draw. I found now that i can turn it on, create the brushes i want to use then turn it off again once i've saved the brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try if it works when you use the Wacom 6D brush library?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the Illustrator document? It doesn't work there either, but it works in any program I've tried besides Illustrator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my 6D wacom library just gone and i dont know how or why, do you guys know how to keep that brushes again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. What Monika is referring to "6d Art Pen Brushes" library. To open that, open the flyout menu of Brushes panel, then click Open Brush Library > Wacom 6D Brushes > 6d Art Pen Brushes. 

Wacom 6D brush library.png

If that doesn't help either, please try following the steps shared here https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/illustrator-cc-crash-wacom-drivers.html and share your observations. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti, thanks for replying! The Wacom 6D brushes don't work either. I followed the link you sent but I've already tried reinstalling my drivers and the pressure sensitivity works fine in Photoshop, and the pressure option in Illustrator is grayed out, so the issue is definitely with Illustrator and not with my tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would like to know if the steps shared by te_co helped resolving the issue.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try this

open Wacom Tablet Utility, enter your password and click the Remove button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. So after a few hours of trying out almost everything on my macOS Catalina and it didn't work for me, I finally managed to enable the pressure function on Illustrator. Ofcourse having wacom drivers enabled on "Accessibility" and "Input Monitoring" all under Security & Privacy is also necessary (I believe).

This Image shows what i missed out or eventually discovered from reading Wacom's Customer Support pageThis Image shows what i missed out or eventually discovered from reading Wacom's Customer Support page
https://www.wacom.com/en-us/support?linkId=57269870&guideTitle=Is-there-a-compatible-driver-for-Mac-...

Realising that in Automation from Security & Privacy, "TabletDriver" was disabled. Once i ticked it, the pressure and all the other features were not greyed out anymore. Hope this works for people who still are finding a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried doing this but the pressure and other options are still greyed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please create a new thread.

Tell us your system, Illustrator version and tablet and tell us about your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but what if I have the exact same issue, but yet there is no Automation in Security & Privacy settings?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is my problem too. there is no Automation in Security & Privacy. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you guys are using macOS right? Could it be the version of your Macs? There should certainly be automation under the privacy tab, mines somewhere below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the link (www.wacom.com/en-us/support... etc.) I can't see the link. The site of Wacom changes the url from wacom.com/en-us/etc. to wacom.com/hc/nl/. I live in the Netherlands, so Wacom just changes /en-us/ to /nl/ and than the link does not exist. Bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2021 Aug 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I could recall, the support from wacom's website informed me to tick "Tablet Driver".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2020 Mar 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! This fixed the issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh God! This Catalina OS made my life so difficult. Thank you for this post, you save me half day :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I tried everything you've suggested, uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator and the latest Wacom drivers, but nothing seemed to work for me. All options other than 'Fixed' and 'Random' are still greyed out. However, I found a really simple workaround for those who just want to use their old brushes - simply open an old file where you have used the brush you want, copy and paste the lines you want into your new file. Your old settings for that brush should be working. I still can't make new brushes though, so I guess I'll just have to use this method until wacom/adobe can fix the issue in a future update. Hope this helps anyone that's still having trouble..good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I was literally just having this problem, even after updating everything and trying everything on here as well. I found that if you go to illustrator and tick the "enable real time drawing" and disable "wacom tablet under devices" it all works as needed. â€ƒ

Screenshot 2020-06-15 18.56.31.png

Screenshot 2020-06-15 18.56.18.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH. That actually worked and I'm so glad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2020 Jun 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing! This really did solve the pressure sensitive issue with Illustrator!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also worked for me, thank you!

The issue is over a year old by now and no fix from Adobe. What a shame. Considering the amount of bugs and Adobe's apparent lack of willingness to address these issues, this is such an overpriced piece of Software. No wonder people are looking for alternatives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! This is very helpful. You know today is very annoying because of this only problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2021 Oct 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you so so so much, I myself also spent hours trying to solve this problem and almost gave up in looking for any solutions. Super grateful!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines