Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Seems simple but not working

Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made continuous path that I want to change to a dash line so I went to stroke panel> dash lines put in dash and gap but it does not change.Any suggestions?

Thanks  Susan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Thanks for posting the screenshot. I can see the bottom three paths in layer 2 appear to be a similar shape. I'd guess one is your outer path, one is your inner path, and then there's a duplicate. Click on the eye icons next to every path except the one where you want the dashes (don't turn the eye off for Layer 2, though). Make sure its target (the dot on the right in the layers panel) is still selected. Now, see if the dash applies to the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you screenshot it for us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have two or more strokes in your Appearance panel when the path is selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure. How can I tell? Would there be two boxes checked off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would see two instances of "Stroke" in the Appearance panel. If they are the same color, and one has a dash but the other doesn't, you wouldn't be able to see the dash.

Strokes.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SuzieCue wrote:

Not sure. How can I tell? Would there be two boxes checked off?

If you have 2 strokes selected and you wound up just applying dashes to one, it would say "Mixed Appearance" in the Appearance Panel when you select them both. If you wanted to check if there were 2 paths, go to your Layers Panel and twirl down your layer. If there are two paths, they'll both show up there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're talking about strokes, not paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SuzieCue wrote:

I made continuous path that I want to change to a dash line so I went to stroke panel> dash lines put in dash and gap but it does not change.Any suggestions?

Thanks Susan

I was going by her statement that she made a "continuous path." If she applied a stroke to a path, but accidentally had 2 paths where one stroke had the dash applied and the other didn't she might not be seeing the other path.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2016 Nov 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much but still not understanding. I have included two screenshots. Below you can see the dashed line checked off,but doesn't show. Also I said continuous path because it is part of an arc.

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 10.02.33 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-18 at 10.03.05 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By chance, did you happen to turn on outline mode (View>Outline or Command+Y Mac or Ctrl+Y-PC)? A one point line will show up as a solid in that case. It toggles between Outline and Preview, so try doing Command+Y Mac or Ctrl+Y-PC again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have posted a response with an image. Thanks for your information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helps. So it's not a double stroke issue. The Appearance panel shows a dashed line preview... Hmm, can you post a screenshot of the entire window, with the path selected? Sometimes a person's file has bizarre circumstances that you wouldn't normally consider, like the entire artboard being 10 pixels wide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a complete mess of my artboard I did try this command Y and got the end result below. Anyway I have uploaded two screen shots. I am a beginner with this so thanks.Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.26.48 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-11-18 at 11.22.45 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah, you haven't made a mess out of anything. It takes some time to learn new stuff. I'm posting 2 pictures that are both under the View menu. The first is what I think you have set and the second is what you want. It looks like you have both outlines on and the grid. You don't really need the grid, but if you want it you can leave it on. It might be easier for you to do the toggling through the menu instead of a keyboard shortcut. Let me know if this works.whatIThinkYouHave.jpgwhatYouWant.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to let you know when I take screen shot the outline (of path) changes to those red dots on path.

I did what you said still can not get dashed line?

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 12.07.08 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload that file to Dropbox or the like and post a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you change the weight of the stroke from 1 pt to 10, what happens? If you don't see it getting thicker, then it's likely you're in outline mode still.

Also, the red dots are anchors that help make the curve. You've got a lot of them there which you can simplify by going to Object > Path Simplify... --but that's a different discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it did get thicker. Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 2.09.25 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Illustrator is highlighting your stroke seems odd like maybe there's more than one thing there. The bounding box and the path would be aligned. In your layers panel, if you twirl it down, what do you see? Can you screenshot that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean twirl it down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your Layer panel from left to right, you'll see the eyeball (that's for visibility) then a space where you can lock/unlock, a color assigned to that layer, a carat/arrow that you can twirl down to open the contents of the layer (and a thumbnail, layer name, target...). I'm wondering what is on your layer. Here my one layer has 2 concentric rectangles.defaul.jpgtwirledDown.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 6.50.24 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the screenshot. I can see the bottom three paths in layer 2 appear to be a similar shape. I'd guess one is your outer path, one is your inner path, and then there's a duplicate. Click on the eye icons next to every path except the one where you want the dashes (don't turn the eye off for Layer 2, though). Make sure its target (the dot on the right in the layers panel) is still selected. Now, see if the dash applies to the stroke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The dash lines appear but a bit strange. What do you think? Anyways thanks for all your help.Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 4.23.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2016 Nov 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dashes appear to be following the path correctly now. Is that how you want them to appear? Was there a duplicate path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines