• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on path/curve is disappearing after reopening the file in Illustrator v27.7

Community Beginner ,
Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bug/issue on curviligne Text / text on path or curve.

After designing and saving the Illustrator file, everything seems normal.

Once I reopen the Illustrator file, then the text that has been placed on a curve (Type on a Path) disappears.

This has happened in different working files of mine.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Anubhav,

I was actually given the go ahead to get the latest version (28.6) installed on my workstation today, and to my surprise, my quick initial test was successful. Hoping others are able to do the same, I will be back to report my experience after a more thorough test drive... Thanks, so far!

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Hello everyone,

Our team has tried addressing this problem in Illustrator 28.6. Would you mind updating to the latest version of Illustrator (https://adobe.ly/4dhoeiu) and sharing your observations?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111
Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have this problem. I create packaging with a lot of small icons with text that runs on circular paths around them. When I open a file containing them I have to look at every item and check for missing text! The text reappears if I click on the path with the text tool, but this is very time consuming.
Happy to supply files if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 15, 2023 Sep 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Paul Cartwright Branding,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the issue. It appears that you are also facing the problem of missing text when opening files, especially those containing text along circular paths.

I understand that this issue can be quite frustrating and time-consuming, as you've mentioned. While the temporary workaround of clicking on the path with the text tool to make the text reappear may alleviate the problem temporarily, it's not a practical solution for your workflow.

Given that multiple users are experiencing this issue, it's crucial for us to investigate it further to identify the root cause and provide a permanent solution. Your willingness to supply files for analysis is greatly appreciated and can be instrumental in helping our team understand the problem more comprehensively. Please share the files and a few details so we can investigate this issue properly:

• If you have specific Illustrator files where this issue occurs, please share them with us. You can use a file-sharing service like Adobe Creative Cloud, Dropbox, or Google Drive to upload the files and share the link with us.

• If you can provide a detailed description of the steps you take to encounter this issue, it can help us recreate the problem for further analysis. Like how you created the text layer. If possible, create a screen recording that demonstrates the issue. Visual context can be invaluable in diagnosing the problem.

• Information about your operating system, Illustrator version, and any relevant system configurations could be useful.

• Was this file created in the latest version of Illustrator, or is it an old Ai file or downloaded from an online template?

Your cooperation is invaluable in helping us investigate and resolve this issue.

Thank you for your patience, and we look forward to working with you to address this matter.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that I need to SAVE AS rather than just SAVING after updating every instance of missing text. So far this has worked, but will keep you posted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 17, 2023 Sep 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

I'm sorry not to of responded sooner. I will share the file shortly. I appreciate you helping users with this particular bug in this thread. Talk to you soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response, and it's great to hear from you again, @dickkirkland. We appreciate your willingness to share the file to help us investigate the specific issue you've encountered.

Additionally, thank you for your understanding and patience in this matter. Your collaboration is essential in addressing this bug effectively. Please take your time to share the file when it's convenient for you.

In addition to the file, as mentioned earlier, provide information about the steps you take to encounter the issue, details about your operating system and Illustrator version, and whether the file was created in the latest Illustrator version or is an older file or template download would be incredibly helpful.

We value your assistance in this matter, and it will greatly aid our team in diagnosing and resolving the problem to improve the overall Illustrator experience.

If you have any further questions or updates, please feel free to reach out. We look forward to receiving the file and collaborating with you on this issue.

Best regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

@Anshul_Saini  Sorry it's been so long in getting you the files. @Susan32238416u1or 's post today is seems to be my same experience!! It reminded me of this thread, and I saw the same issue today. This artwork was certainly taken from an 09' or earlier file, but I may have had this happen on other more recent views. Please see the 3rd screenshot with the explanation there. At first, I thought this was a mistake on my part, (the scattered text), but now I can see it consistently whenever text is missing from type on a path. @Anshul_Saini I can send you the native file, but can't here as it is for mt workplace. I hope this starts some closure for the developers and everyone else. Please let me know of a better channel to provide you a native file. Thanks for your continued commitments to users here!!

I also would like to mention that this phoenomenon occurs on and off of artboards and whether there is just one artboard or many.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2023 Oct 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem —very, very annoying as well as time consuming to check and fix multiple times. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with saving the file to the cloud rather than my computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2023 Oct 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @elizabethn44660691,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. It's indeed frustrating when text on a path or curve disappears upon reopening a file. While saving the file to the cloud should not inherently cause this problem, it's essential to diagnose the specific circumstances causing it.

To better assist you, could you please share the problematic Illustrator file, along with a screen recording that demonstrates the issue? This will help us investigate the problem more effectively.

Additionally, I recommend updating Illustrator to the latest version, which is currently 28.0, as there might be improvements or bug fixes in the new release. After updating, please let me know if the issue persists, and share any observations or changes you notice.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. The text gets scattered to the edge of the artboard. You can see it when you go to outline mode. I found that if you take your cursor and click on the path, the text will come back. This issue has been happening on multiple documents for me. I've taken to setting up the text on the path and converting it to outlines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, thank you. I posted some shots above which may help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2023 Oct 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing your experiences, @Susan32238416u1or @dickkirkland

If you're comfortable with it, you can upload the file to a file-sharing service like Google Drive, OneDrive, or Dropbox and then share the public download link with me via a private message on this community platform. This way, I can forward it to the product team for further investigation. 

Look forward to the files.

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2024 Jan 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i also have the same issue with Illustrator 27.9 and 27.9.1. The curved texts randomly disappear during the file opening, saving or export to PDF.

Could you please tell me if there is a solution now ?

Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @VHI,

Sorry to hear about your experience. Would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), a sample file (https://adobe.ly/3U8IoEH), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3SrvYqm), so we can investigate this further?

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue (and have been for a while). I am running Illustrator 28.1. My work around is to cut and then copy in place, but it's easy to miss "missing" text when exporting. Bug GIF.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@MW907 Great work on displaying this and the workaround! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Malia, Dick and @Anubhav M,

The work around you give is only temporarily. Next time when opening the text is still there, but after saving the text disapears again. I have been able to reproduce the bug in a video. It seems to happen on saving the document.

I hope it brings you closer to the solution.

With kind regards, Jos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2024 Feb 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for this documentation. Maybe @Anubhav M can continue to report the issue with great examples like this. I don't know if you're experiencing what others have here, but often the type on path is "exploded" or scattered way outside of artboards. Definitely a concern when sending files to a vendor as well!

Very nice packaging design as well. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this problem reocurred in the latest update 28.2.!!!!!

It seems to be a problem that is fixed during a period en then with an update reintroduced. Very, very dangerous because it also happens in file that are approved. And it is very annoying. The Beta version is no solution. The problem is the same there. Text is disapearing during working in the file also now. clicking on the path makes is visable again.

Please help and fix this issue for good!

Jos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this @Anubhav M?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Jos2198932062a4,

Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for sharing the details about your workflow with the screen recording. While I check this with the team, would you mind sharing a sample file (https://adobe.ly/3UG5gM6), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/3UKW0q7), so we can investigate this further?

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m sorry, but how has this not been fixed yet???

This has been going on for the past 2 versions of your product and you don’t have any workaround, besides outlining the type...

(Throwing my hands up in disgust!)

...are you kidding?!?

This has become a huge, nagging issue for my entire Graphics Dept., ever since we moved to these latest versions. It is NOT a small inconvenience to outline fonts that have this problem, and I just don’t understand how this has been a definable complication for this long.

I think I am being kind and respectful by saying:

Adobe, please be kind and respectful to the community of users that is agreeing to continually pay you for this broken feature.

Thanks Anubhav for being our moderator, but now that it is February of 2024, could you please escalate this matter to the next level of management... This has already taken too long for those using this feature on a daily basis!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Scott32312201vq9x,

I understand that having a persistent issue while working in Illustrator is not ideal, especially when it is happening over a period of time. I have shared the details with the product team for further investigation. In the meantime, would you mind sharing some more details, like the exact version of the OS/Illustrator, system config (CPU/GPU/Memory), a sample file (https://adobe.ly/49ANpL0), and a screen recording of the problem (https://adobe.ly/48eAKfH), so I can share it with the team?

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be crazy for me to believe that this very common feature, that has worked flawlessly for several generations of this product, should probably be able to work properly on just about every computer system viable today, running on a nominal amount of RAM?

Honestly, I don’t think it should take a screen recording for the team to fix this -- do you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Scott32312201vq9x,

I share your sentiments entirely. However, when attempting to reproduce this behavior on my end, I encountered difficulties. It would be immensely beneficial if you could provide details about your workflow during the attempt to replicate this behavior, along with a sample file. This information will greatly assist me in escalating the matter with the product team. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Have the same problem! When this will be fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines