• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

tmp files growing in excess with Google Drive Stream in finder?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Catalina and now Big Sur there seems to be a lot of temp files showing in Google Drive Stream in the finder all of a sudden? 

Any ideas? as you can see, this is literally a quarter of the files?

tempfiles.jpg

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

What happens when you disable "Save in background" in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Please try saving files on Adobe Creative Cloud instead of Google Drive & let us know if you have the similar behavior there. This information will help us assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you disable "Save in background" in the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure but if I try, shall I delete them all first?

what's the side effects of doing this out of interest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the AI files themselves get saved correctly? In that case you don't need the temp files anymore.

"Save in background" allows you to carry on working in Illustrator while Illustrator is saving a file.

Illustrator has trouble saving directly to servers. This can even lead to file corruption. It also has trouble with certain Cloud solutions. And all this might happen to one user, but not to others. So actually nobody knows why and when it happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, yes the illustrator file saves correctly so no problem there so what I'll do is I'll delete all the temp files and see how I get on? Incidentally does anybody know how to search a Google Drive server in the Mac OS? Spotlight doesn't seem to want to search in it anymore for a few months now? Real pain when you're trying to find files and you're working off Google Drive for all you're working aren't work folders!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just noticed "Save In Background" is on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all that 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling "Save in background" fixed the problem for me! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. Please try saving files on Adobe Creative Cloud instead of Google Drive & let us know if you have the similar behavior there. This information will help us assist you accordingly.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks will give this a go - never tried this. I'm just wondering whether its because I have about 24 artboards?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT a solution. In many companies we work in specific workspaces and designers cannot choose the backup system. 

This problem only happens with Illustrator (tried Photoshop and XD) and sometimes Illustrator does not save the latest version correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As anyone found a solution to this?? My design coworker and I are having this very same issue and we have to use Google Drive, there isn't another alternative. The files on his computer save correctly, but for some reason, I am only seeing tmp files, and the original ai file is a previous date. Please, any recommendations would be very helpful! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem @kaitlinv59311494. 

I am on Mac M2 and AI 27.2 and going to google drive. 

Did you ever figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @prettiestpixel! We actually did get it figured out. From what we could tell my coworker and I each had our "google drive streaming location" showing something different. His said "folder location is controlled by macos" while mine says "/volumes/GoogleDrive".  It was his drive that was creating the temp files. We reached out to our tech and this was the solution that was given which happened to work for us. 

Disconnect their account from Drive for Desktop.
- Quit Google Drive for Desktop.
- Run this command in a terminal touch ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/DriveFS/fp_left_beta
- Start Google Drive and log back in.

I hope this solves your temp file problem! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. Since the mac update and resyncing Google Drive as a "Location" things don't save correctly. There are a bunch of TMP files and Google Drive (web) doesn't reflect the changes made on my iMac in the Shared Drives. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My design partner is running the exact same mac os, same AI and everything. She does not have problems. I do. 

I updated my prefereces to reflect hers and I screenshotted it below. Our Google Drive preferences were already identical. 

prettiestpixel_0-1676314787097.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i solved the problem by follwing this way. thank you thank you so much ! @kaitlinv59311494 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines