• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turning off Save to Cloud as default

Participant ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never want to have my machine save to the cloud. I have small-town sucky internet and saving to the cloud makes that significantly worse. 

But I don't see a way to get it to default to not saving to the web. I mean there is a button to not ever be asked again but the last time I tried that on an Adobe product it took that to mean that it should ignore the fact that I asked for it to be save locally that time (and every other time) and in addition to never asking again it should just save it to the cloud. 

I see a way to set this in Photoshop, but do not in Illustrator. I'd really like to not be constantly have Adobe apps trying to get me to save to the Cloud.

Note - Adobe also seems to reset to defaulting to the cloud everytime I update my programs.
Update to Photoshop - You must have also wanted to start saving to the web. WTF Adobe?
What is with that? Trust that if your customers don't want to use that feature they might have a reason. The last time it did that I was trying to save a 5gb temporary file that I was going to be flattening shortly, I forgot I had recently updated and I clicked just a bit too fast and Adobe saved to the Cloud. The whole mess destroyed my internet connection for a few days because once Adobe started it seemed to get stuck even after the process was cancelled and the file deleted. It didn't just mess up my internet either it also dragged it down for my entire househould. I'd really appreciate it if Adobe stopped changing peoples settings on updates.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

I have seen this appear and after I click "Don't show again" and click Save on your computer, that becomes the default.

But Anubhav answer seems better.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.37.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently on 27.2 on Illustrator and 24.1.1 on Photoshop.

Neither of these versions includes the line/option "default file location" that you show above.

I need it to default to saving on the computer and never the cloud. How do I do this now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try resetting your computer? If that does not help, try resetting preferences, see:

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't last time I tried, but I tried again and not only did resetting
Illustrator fix the problem there, but it apparently fixed the problem in
Photoshop as well? (Without messing with any actual photoshop files or
settings?)

Oh, well. Thank you, at least it works and my stuff won't end up all lost
in the cloud.

It would be nice to be able to fix problems like this without losing all my
settings in the process, though.

Dianne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we don't have this option on Illus 27

Valerie36573341hqks_0-1712461635131.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2024 Jun 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconded. Came here to ask about this. The ability to turn this off is gone. Please fix this now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2024 Jun 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@44140  schrieb:

Seconded. Came here to ask about this. The ability to turn this off is gone. Please fix this now. 

Can you please describe what no longer works? Is that in the beta or in the released version?

Did you already reset the preferences? This is often necessary after an update, but it erases all your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 28.5. Deleted the Application Support files, Preference files, and Cache under the user Library folder of 28 and previous installations with no success. Same result as @Valerie36573341hqks 

SCR-20240604-jbkn.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @44140,

Thanks for reaching out. When saving to a location (computer/cloud document), Illustrator will present the option to "Do not ask again". After this option is selected, Illustrator will default to the last used option. You can change this behavior by clicking on the button in the bottom left corner of the Save As window "Save Cloud Document/ On your computer".

Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the response, the native file system save dialogue is persisting once I completed a full save operation. I'm not sure why the user setting was removed in the first place, though I understand that Adobe would like to drive retention of their in-app Cloud service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But yes, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen this appear and after I click "Don't show again" and click Save on your computer, that becomes the default.

But Anubhav answer seems better.

Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 19.37.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I did that with Photoshop checking"Don't show again" and clicking on "Save on your computer" it save the file to my computer as I asked and then set the default to Always Save to Cloud. I'm not sure it will do that with Illustrator, but lets just say I have trust issues with Adobe products at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally broke down and tried this and it worked this time, but it hasn't at other times so I still don't trust that this isn't going to set the default to the Cloud at some point. 
INSTEAD - Why not STOP changing your customers personal settings on every update?
They picked their setting for a reason, stop imposing your preferences on your customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed.

This "solution" doesn't work for people working with large files, sensitive files, or in areas with poor internet service.

Adobe: we already buy the yearly subscriptions. Trying to get us to commit to plans for ever-expanding storage on servers, is frankly insulting. Most of us have giant servers or SSDs to work on.

Concentrate on the product, not the cloud. Rebuild customer trust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Anubhav Majumder for posting the solution to this. I have used Adobe products since the 1980s. I HATE this. It makes me livid. OK Adobe offers the option to opt out and disable cloud saving, but THE OPT OUT DID NOT WORK! It's infuriating to choose to bypass the cloud save option and then have it reappear with the opt-out no longer showing. Sorry to rant but this rubs me the wrong way on so many levels. Over the years I have had projects affected when Adobe pulled fonts from the CC package (will never rely on Adobe fonts again) and recently we have all seen PMS color options crippled. Several years back I even made the mistake of selling clients on projects that used the Adobe Digital Publishing Solution, only to have it yanked away only days after speaking with an Adobe rep about its future. Decisions like these on Adobe's part are not only annoying. They cost us time and money and make me wish there were alternatives. Many of us were once Quark XPress users but invested in InDesign because Quark was difficult to deal with as a company. Adobe is on the same path, IMO. So, my outreach to Adobe here is "Please. Respect your customers' time and loyalty." Understand that professionals are not happy when they are railroaded into a new revenue stream. 

Again, apologies to the community but this makes me furious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you set your preferences settings to save to your computer and nothing happens??????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you set your preferences settings to save to your computer and nothing happens??????

By @Greg28089151y43o

Please tell us your version number and system and also what you mean by "nothing happens"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Greg28089151y43o,

Thanks for reaching out. Would you mind trying to reset preferences manually and check if that helps resolve the issue:

For Windows:
- Close all Adobe applications.
- Go to Location C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe
- Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 26 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator - 26 Settings.old

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

If the issue persists, kindly share a screen recording of the problem (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/screen-record-an-issue-on-windows-amp-macos-f...) and the exact version of the OS/Illustrator installed on your computer so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After clicking "Do Not Ask Again" it now defaults to cloud save by default, even though I selected Save to my computer when selecting do not ask again. This is so dumb, Adobe, and the option in File Handling to turn off cloud save doesn't exist any more. What if we use a different cloud provider for work? There are 9 million reasons why we should be able to opt out of saving our files to Creative Cloud, not least of which is that for some businesses we're legally not allowed to use third party services to store business-related files. Having this as the default option prevents a risk for those customers and is indefensibly stupid. Listen to your customers! If you want the cloud to do something useful, maybe it could sync/save my workspace arrangements so they don't get erased with every update? That would actually be helpful! I'm on version 27.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to make a bug report or to contact Customer Care, so they can login to your computer and set it up:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same just happened to me.  Beyond frustrating since it now interferes with every file saving action I use. GRRRRR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @CmdrTomalak6330,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to manually reset Illustrator's preferences and checking if it helps:

For macOS

• Close all Adobe applications.

• Go to the following locations

• ~/Library/Caches

• ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe

• ~/Library/Preferences

• Rename Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings.old

• Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

Note: Location starting with this "~" sign indicates the User Library, which is hidden. So, you need to copy & paste the exact path in spotlight search or from Finder Menu > Go > Go to Folder > Paste the location in the dialog box like this:

user-library.png

For Windows

- Close all Adobe applications.

- Go to Location C:\Users\%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

- Rename Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 27 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator - 27 Settings.old

- Relaunch Illustrator from Creative Cloud

Disclaimer: Please note that renaming preferences folders will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also save a backup of the folders in case you want to. The location is mentioned above.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines