Exit

Unable to Save or Export files from Illustrator 2022 (26.0) on macOS Monterey

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Info:
MacBook Pro
macOS Monterey v 12.01 (New Update just yesterday)
2022 Adobe Illustrator 26.0.0 (New Update just yesterday)

Critical Issues I am experiencing:
-New Files created, will not save, save as, or export to my computer desktop or any location on my computer. It will as to the cloud but I do not what I need it saved on the cloud, I need it on my computer. File Type Ai or PDF
-Old Files can be changed and saved in place. BUT will NOT, save the same file in a new location, "save as" a new version name (i.e. "filename" version 2 .ai) , save as a PDF or export art to any form of raster files.
-Closing files without saving, prompts me to save files before closing and when I do click save, it will NOT save and will not close the file. No response from Illustrator
-Does not prompt me to choose a saving location on my computer.
-No error messages or pop-ups are given
-No Crashing occurs, nothing happens
-Files are art files, no text

Things I have done to try and fix the issue myself:

-Restart Computer
-Creative Cloud logged in
-Launched Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.
-Launched Illustrator by clicking twice on the old file (can't do this with new files because I can't create and save any new files onto my computer.)
-Open old files through the cloud
-Created new files in every way IMAGABLE.

-Save it to the Adobe cloud and shut down. Restart open the file, try and save it to the computer, it will not save.
-Force-quitting does not appear to generate a saved-data file
-Granted adobe / Illustrator full disk access
-Disabled "Optimize File open and save time on slow networks" in preferences
-Disabled "Save in background" in the Preferences
-Reset preferences removing all the custom settings
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Illustrator with perfrances deleted

You don't need to be told what a nightmare this is when you make your living using Adobe.
Please advise ASAP or I will be forced to remove the update (somehow, I HAVE TO WORK!!) or
My last-ditch effort to fix this myself is to remove the new macOS Monterey v 12.01

Please advise ASAP. 
TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Hi all,

Sorry about this trouble. This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey. We're currently investigating this issue. I would request if you could post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here.

This way, you will keep getting all the updates related to this feature and other users can also upvote.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Change primary monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings back to origina

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

no window came. Nothing happened. I could only save to the cloud. I have now updated Mac OS to 12.1 and now it works

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

I did the update and it looks like the problem is solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Hi All,

We are sorry to hear about your experiences. It seems Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December. Let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 107 Replies 107
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem: the second monitor!
This is a 'work a round': unplug your extra monitor...

Or change your main monitor in your system preferences. Then everything is back to normal (except that everything is on your wrong screen when you open it ;-)).

I hope Apple/Adobe find a quick fix for this bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortuantely, that workaround doesn't work in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mug1971

Sorry to hear about your experience. Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December and let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is happening on my Windows 10 machine. So the fix needs to come from Adobe, not Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tunghoy,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share the screenshot of how it looks at your end when you try to save as? Also, please could you confirm the Display resolution, scaling & Illustrator scale setting from Preferences?

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the error:

illustrator save error.jpg

Scaling is the default -- set in the middle. Cursor set to scale proportionately. Main display is set to 1920 x 1080, which is the recommended resolution. Scale and layout is 100%.

GPU is nvidia GeForce GTX 970M, version 26.21.14.3086. Video memory is 3gb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tunghoy,

Thanks for sharing the screenshot and other details. This issue is different than the one discussed here. It was related macOS Monterey issue, which is resolved now. It seems like some object in your file is causing the issue, or it can be a permission issue. You may try launching the Illustrator as Administrator and try saving it on Desktop. If that doesn't help, then you may try the following:
Select all objects on layer one by one and go to the Object Menu > Expand or Expand appearance and check if you are able to save it. I hope it helps!

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it's even worse than that. Illustrator won't even open a file on a network share -- it doesn't see the network is available. Photoshop sees it, File Explorer sees it, all other applications see it. Only Illustrator doesn't. Running Illustrator as an administrator and uninstalling and re-installing it makes no difference. This is beyond whether objects are expanded or not.

illustrator open error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tunghoy,

I've sent a DM. Please check.

Regards,

Anshul Saini 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the update and it looks like the problem is solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out a fix to this issue?

Saving to COMPUTER is not working. Sometimes a SAVE WINDOW will appear, but it is blank. Selecting SAVE TO COMPUTER button does nothing. Only SAVE TO CLOUD (hmmm?).

I've tried the SAVE SETTINGS trick.

I've Uninstalled and reinstalled 2020 & 2022 versions.

I've Uninstalled and reinstalled ALL Adobe apps.

I'm starting to think this is Abobe's way of making us use their (slow#$%) cloud?

$50 a month and no fix for months? I think I've read all threads (going back to 2019!!!!) and still nothing works. IF it is Apple's fault, thats something YOU BOTH need to work out. Not the user.

MAC OS Monterey

OS 12.0.1 (was doing this even before I udpated)

Seriously. Whats up?

Does ANYONE have a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a second monitor attached?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this trouble. I assume you are using a sidecar or external Monitor(s). This issue has been reported with multiple apps on macOS Monterey with an external monitor & sidecar. We're currently working on a fix. Please stay tuned for the updates.

As a workaround, you may try one of these options:

• Disconnect sidecar/External Monitor and run the app on the primary Mac screen.
  • Change Primary Monitor from System Preferences (Display) and then restore the settings to the original. Steps are shared here. (If you are using an external monitor)
  • If that doesn't help,  we would suggest disconnecting the external monitor(s)/ sidecar.

If these workarounds don't work, I will request you to share a few more details like:

• Resolution of your external Monitor(s)
  • Is external Monitor(s) connected via Thunderbolt port directly or via dongle?
  • Screenshot of "About This Mac." (both Overview and Displays tab)
  • Screenshot of UI Scaling settings in Illustrator preferences

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having a problem that I can't save my file in Illustrator, and everytime I need to save the file as Save As instead. I tried to re-install Illustrator and gone into Library to changen Adobe PDF settings etc, but nothin is working. 

{Renamed by MOD}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

So sorry to hear about this. That's definitely not a typical experience with Illustrator. Let me help you fix this. Before I start troubleshooting I would need a few details like:

• OS and version of Illustrator. 
  • Where the files are being saved  (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I got help through Adobe chat and eventuelly the problem was solved. But thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear that Adobe chat could help.

Can you tell us how they solved it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have an M1 with external monitor. I set the main screen to be the built-in laptop, reset preferences (launch Illustrator pressin cmd-opt-shift) and noe it works correctly. If I change the main screen to the external screen, the problem gets back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acabo de instalar el macOS Monterey y no puedo guardar los archivos de Illustrator y Photoshop, ni guardar como, un autentico drama, y no hay ni una noticia en ningún sitio, no puedo trabajar, si con esto ayudo a los que no lo habési instaldo XD NO LO INSTALEIS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think this is related to scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Con el debido respeto, lo que usted crea o deje de creer es irrelevante, lo cierto es que fue instalar este nuevo sistema y dejar de funcionar. He tenido que volver a instalar programas anteriores y conectar y desconectar la pantalla exterior. ¿Sinceramente Erin crees que tu respuesta es una respuesta adecuada? ¿resolutiva? Soy usuario de mac desde hace 30 años, todas mis herramientas son de apple, iphon, ipad, ipod, mac, etc... Lo cierto es que no espero nada de este chat, pero si puedo evitar que a otros compañeros le pase lo mismo, ya lo doy por bueno.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 18, 2022 Jan 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Emilio0492,  

Sorry to hear about your experience. Apple has fixed this issue. Please update to macOS Monterey v12.1 that Apple released around mid-December and let us know if you are still facing this issue after updating. We'll be happy to look into it.

Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solucionado.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started over the past couple of days, however until today it was exclusive to Photoshop. I know I should save as right off the bat, but I'm usually just seeing if something works before I'm set on it. Anyway, these two programs will not allow me to "save as". It's always after a certain point of working in either program where I'll have no problem, but then it won't allow me to save a file. I can save files that I've already saved and renamed when closing them out, but not new untitled files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version, which system?

Exactly where are you trying to save?

What's in the files?

Which file types are you trying to save?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines