Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unknown error has occurred while saving the file in Illustrator CC 2021 v25.4.1

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help I can't save any files!

Doesn't matter if i am creating a new file or opening existing files I keep getting an error on saving saying 'Unknown error occured'. I'm at a loss on what to do to fix this.

I am on 2021 and most up to date 25.4.1 64 bit.

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks but this doesn't work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I experience this as well every once in a while. It's very random.

Illustrator 25.4.1

macOS 10.15.7

Sometimes you can save as a PDF instead, and then open it back in AI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, I can very occasionally save out as eps but not as anything else. so frustrating as i use illustrator everyday for work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @leighr @default0w1ok1gr63mp,

Sorry to hear about this experience. In addition to the suggestions shared by @marliton,  you may try the steps shared in this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html) to troubleshoot file related issues. You may also try copy-pasting the content to a new file & see if that works.

If the issue still persists, I would request you to share a few more details like:

• Is the issue related to a specific document?
  • Could you please share a sample document with us? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link.
  • Is the file saved on a network drive/shared folder/external HDD? If yes, try saving it locally & see if it helps.
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates, or web extensions installed recently.
  • Does resetting Illustrator Preferences ( https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html) help to resolve the issue?
    Disclaimer: Please note that resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings, and Illustrator will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned in the article.

If nothing works, please try the suggestions shared in this community post (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator/resolve-slow-performance-and-unexpected-behaviors-in-illu...) & let us know how it goes.

We will be looking forward to your response.

Thanks and Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Unfortunately none of these have fixed the issue. I have uninstalled illustrator, reset preferences, and cleared all the folders.

It isn't a specific file but any illustrator file. I only returned to work on 30th August and it has been everyday since then that this issue happens (with vaious files).  Some files are saved on desktop some on shared network drive, same issue occurs.  

I really need illustrator for my job...what else can i do?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying the steps. Please check your DM for more details.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anshul

I think I can speak for all professionals on here. This illustrator saving problem HAS to be fixed. NOW!

I've tried all these work arounds, no fix. Not being able to save puts me out of business today.

We rely on Adobe to put out at least somewhat clean updates, in my case they update automatically(until today). This is such a basic command. 

I don't care who's at fault, I know that I'm not. It worked yesterday and not today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @admojo,

I am really sorry about this. I understand your frustration. Would it be possible for you to elaborate on what error or issue you are facing file saving the file? Please screenshot if you are getting an error.
Is the "Save As" button greyed out in the " Save as" dialog box?

Please confirm the OS & the exact version of Illustrator installed on your machine.
Does turning OFF "Save in Background" from Illustrator Preferences > File Handling > Save in Background helps?

Also, where are you saving the files (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

We are here to help. We just need more information.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a printer connected? Illustrator checks on the printer for saving and might get upset if it can't find one.

Are all your fonts OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Yes, we have a postscript printer connected and all fonts are good.

So far, I have had no luck with the suggestions from @Anshul_Saini, but will continue to test.

It's hard to pin down since it occurs a bit randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying the steps. Please check your DM for more details.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi use adobe clean remove to uninstall this and use 2020 version maybe it helps you if got any error you can copy artwork to photoshop as vector then it open backs to illustrator...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks I have tried this already and the same issue is there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, try unchecking "create pdf compatible file" when saving as ai. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2021 Oct 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that unchecking Save in Background seems to have solved the issue for me lately

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am currently having the same problem, For a few months now and it has been progressively getting more frequent.

Has anybody resolved the 2021 'An unknown error has occured'?
I can save initially, but it seems to be anyhere after that when illustrator is unable to save as anything other than an aic document. We don't use the cloud feature in illustrator and is very risky having the latest versions of files saved somewhere only I know where they are! I have to save as aic and then download to copy back into our appropriate shared drive folder. please help! I am losing my sanity with this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about the trouble. You may try the following steps and let us know how it goes:

We'll be looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines