• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Verifying access to external storage

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've been having a problem with illustrator where this message (verifying access to '//192.168.1.250/shared_storage') pops up every time I switch windows (like if I click on photoshop or google chrome then click back to illustrator.) I use a wireless external storage but I've used it for a long time and have never had this problem until now, I'm using Windows 10 and everything is updated. I've tried restarting illustrator and the computer. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to another forum disscusion but I saw on this forum another person who had the exact same problem but it's been a few months since the last post so I guess they never found a solution. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

I haven’t seen that before, but thinking through it…

…does it happen only when you switch to Illustrator, and not away from it?

Does it happen only with certain documents or one document, not all of them, and not a blank new document?

If the answers are “yes,” then in the documents that it does happen, do they contain any linked files, which are listed in the Links panel and marked as linked? If so, the message could be appearing if Illustrator is verifying all placed links when it’s broug

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Mentor ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your drive, it maybe failing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven’t seen that before, but thinking through it…

…does it happen only when you switch to Illustrator, and not away from it?

Does it happen only with certain documents or one document, not all of them, and not a blank new document?

If the answers are “yes,” then in the documents that it does happen, do they contain any linked files, which are listed in the Links panel and marked as linked? If so, the message could be appearing if Illustrator is verifying all placed links when it’s brought to the front. A message like that should never appear for linked files placed from directly connected storage, but it may take a little longer to verify a file placed from wireless storage because the connection is typically slower than wired storage. But if it used to work fine and doesn’t now, that’s harder to explain, unless something about your wireless network has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2022 Feb 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing's changed that I know of, but yes it only happens when I click on another application then back to illustrator, and as far as I can tell it does it with any files that are on the external storage even if its all vector shapes with no linked images. I had this problem for about a week then it just stopped Friday so I have no idea what happened, but thank you for the help anyway! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Conrad, this was the answer for us. All artwork we use is stored on a remote server and we only saw this issue on older files that linked to files on a server that is no longer used. Updating/removing the links stopped this issue from appearing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2023 Nov 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the issue any time I use a file on the network. 

Old files? Yes.

New files? Yes.
Old files with links? Yes.
Old files without links? Yes.
New files with links? Yes.
New files without links? Yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JD_Zebra_93 what happens if you drag the file local and attempt to open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no problem with local files, but my employer insists on everything being on the network drives.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the list of linked files, and it only happens when I open a file that used to be on my work network.

However, all the linked files are currently imbedded, so the link is no longer needed. How can I delete the link without deleting the embedded files?

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If they are embedded, there should not be a link symbol in the Links panel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this issue as well. Our files are saved on a network drive, and I remote in to a desktop at the office from a laptop at home. For me, it happens even when I don't click away/back to Illustrator and mine says "Verifying access to [our server name]". I thought it was possibly due to traffic on our server, but if it's happening with someone's external storage, then maybe it's not about server traffic. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are probably time-out issues on your network stuff introduced by soem system update having switched things around (updated firewall rules, changed ports and all that). The possibly simplest way to fix this could be to delve into your device manager and delete the device and associated connections, then reboot and let Windows reinstate the device. another option may be to change the IP address of the remote device, as it seems you're using the factory default and that may conflict with other network functions on your localhost attempting to ping the same IP. Also of course the usual stuff: User permissions, power saving modes and actual physical connection should always be checked just in case. It may also be worth to check AI's file saving options in the prefs, since a lot of stuff has been changed in recent releases with new experimental network saving features and all that...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue, and AI is verifying access to a file that AI JUST CREATED. From reading the comments it appears to be affecting any AI users that have a remote or network drive. I simple 9 artboard export is now in the 15+ minute mark. This is ridiculous.

JD_Zebra_93_0-1646841244434.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got off the phone with Adobe "Tech Support."

According to Adobe the issue is all our, the end user/customer, faults. Adobe does not support external or remote drives.

https://helpx.adobe.com/in/illustrator/kb/illustrator-support-networks-removable-media.html#:~:text=...

I can understand this in 1990 when USB drives were slow and 12000 baud modems were the best, but in 2022 with Covid and MANY of us working remote this is a plan for failure as we are all working from home using remote drives.

Adobe customer care and the programmers need to step into the current century and not rely on excuses based in policies from the 1990s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know Adobe sold modems and remote drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's not an Adobe problem then why don't programs from other developers do this? Blaming the end-user is a lazy way out of helpng. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other programs do - have you ever tried to work on a complex Excel file from a remote server? Great way to corrupt it.

There are so many external factors that can effect stability when connecting to an external source - drive/server/etc. Adobe is playing it safe by stating they do not recommend it because if they did and something outside of the software's control corrupts the save process - who would you blame first?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me nuts too. Tried so many things even going into some sort of XML file. Nothing worked until I tried this. Save the file to your desktop. Close the file. Then cut and paste the file on your desktop to your desired location. That is how I removed the "Verifying access..." pop-up. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also getting this issue with a drive from my former job. I never connected to it with this computer. Not sure why it is trying to gain access and how to shut it down permanently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2023 Jun 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% happening to me right now with my work computer and Ai, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2023 Jun 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Rachel25443087m8rf,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Would you mind trying to work on your files in Illustrator from a local directory, like the desktop, and then manually copying them over to the network drive and checking if it helps?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2023 Sep 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use any network drives. Everything is on my hard disk and OneDrive.

Howard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue.  We use OneDrive as well.  It's extremely annoying.  This problem only happens with illustrator and seemed to pop up sometime earlier this year.  Not sure which version of illustrator introduced this headache....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @nblakef,

Sorry to hear about this experience. Illustrator does not support network or removable drives as scratch disks or folders of file sync services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, and iCloud. We recommend working in Illustrator directly on the local hard disk. To prevent data loss, save files to your hard disk first. Then, transfer them to the file sync service folder (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.) in the Finder or in Windows Explorer. You may learn more here: (https://adobe.ly/406xbFF).
Feel free to reach out if you have more questions or need assistance. We'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2023 Oct 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this issue is related to the auto recovery backup file creation process. I was having this exact issue with our network drives at work. I work on the cloud mainly so that I can access my documents from different workstations. I noticed in my "File Save Options" under preferences, that the selected folder was set to a network drive location. after changing this to a local storage location, the Verifying Access... message doesn't appear anymore. 

A couple of options to solve this in that case:
1. Disable Automatically Save Recovery Data
2. Change the Save Recovery Data to a local storage drive.

I hope this helps people

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines