• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What do the Illustrator cursor symbols mean?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having trouble finding a guide to the cursor symbols in Illustrator. By this I mean the hover symbol that the cursor turns into when over different sections of the artboard. I have had a lot of trouble with the Text Tool, and I need to know what the cursor symbols mean but I can't find any guidance on this. Is there a guide or cheat sheet somewhere? Perhaps similar to a keyboard shortcut guide?

TOPICS
Tools , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Text cursors AI.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure it could be clarified if you were showing the cursor symbols that are causing trouble (whatever you mean by "trouble).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They include a little black pointer with paragraph text, a little black pointer with a squiggle, a white pointer with a dotted square and others. There's a bunch. (I tried taking screenshots but the Windows keyboard commands switch my cursor to other Illustrator tools instead!). Basically, there are a lot of them I need to figure out so a cheat sheet would be really  helpful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have to use a screenshot application that is able to capture the screen including the current cursor.

I guess there are such apps available for the Windows OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to learn about how the text tool works in illustrator

please see this

https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=text%20tool&facets_fields=%5B%22applicable_products%22...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hnicholl wrote:

"… a little black pointer with paragraph text …"

Do you mean the "Touch-Type-Textwerkzeug"? (German name)

Touch Type Tool

Illu-Touch-Type-Textwerkzeug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q
--

*From my CLOUD to YOURS*

--

[image: --]

Chana
--

--

[ private informations removed by moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@chanaart,

Your post seems incomplete?

What did you want to show us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of them pixxxel_schubser but not the ones that are giving me difficulty. It is a little black pointer with tiny tiny lines that make up a paragraph. What's odd is that when I seach 'Illustrator text symbols' through Google, it gives me all the symbols contained in glyphs and fonts, not the hover cursor symbols/images that I see when I'm trying to work with the Text tool in Illustrator. (I likely have my search terms incorrect?)

Someone else who posted here is also right: I am a student, trying to learn Illustrator's tools, and it's daunting. A cheat sheet of the hover symbols/images such as the one that pixxxel_schubser just posted would be super helpful. When I click with my mouse with the wrong hover symbol engaged, the text tool does crazy things, so I need to know what those hover symbols are. I'm using Ctrl Z constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hnicholl wrote:

"… a little black pointer with a squiggle …"

And this is the Width Tool

Illu_Breitenwerkzeug.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 23.20.32.pngMake new text object: either click or click and drag

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 23.20.41.pngPut text inside the shape

Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 23.20.52.pngPut text on the path, looks like so:Bildschirmfoto 2020-02-13 um 23.21.12.png

Icons look different, but this is how it works: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/creating-text.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

h,

I believe this is an obvious case for a feature request with a link to it here and a link back to this thread,

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/

If they are really troublesome a better term may be curser symbols.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@hnicholl,

did you read Monika's post on page 2?

(And please - use only the answer button directly below the original post. Otherwise this thread will "unreadable" because of nested nested answers inbetween.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of them pixxxel_schubser but not the ones that are giving me difficulty. It is a little black pointer with tiny tiny lines that make up a paragraph. What's odd is that when I seach 'Illustrator text symbols' through Google, it gives me all the symbols contained in glyphs and fonts, not the hover cursor symbols/images that I see when I'm trying to work with the Text tool in Illustrator. (I likely have my search terms incorrect?)

Someone else who posted here is also right: I am a student, trying to learn Illustrator's tools, and it's daunting. A cheat sheet of the hover symbols/images such as the one that pixxxel_schubser just posted would be super helpful. When I click with my mouse with the wrong hover symbol engaged, the text tool does crazy things, so I need to know what those hover symbols are. I'm using Ctrl Z constantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With your dscriptions nobody will be able to help you.

So if you are not able to take screenshots: please draw the cursors.

Please describe step by step what exactly you're doing and what exactly is happening. And again: screenshots help.

Also: did you read the documentation?

Obviously there is no cheat sheet. So why not try and create that yourself?

[ moved to the end of the thread by moderator ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

h,

While waiting for the cursor symbols sheet or the end of days, whichever occurs first, you may take photos of the troublesome ones and post those instead of screenshots, maybe collecting them in one image (you can use Clipping Masks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text cursors AI.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is it this, which appears upon clicking the red overset text annotation?

Overset.png

If so, clicking and dragging will create a new text box containing a continuation of the text.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines