• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is this line?

Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2023 Feb 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AI 2021 Running on a 27 inch iMac      iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)    

3.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5     

A month ago I noticed this Red line on the left side of my documents. It doesn't matter if the file is old or new or what size it is. I can't get rid of it, its not a vector line, more like an image on the screen Zooming in and out, scrolling left to right or top to bottom it stays with the left side of the document . I've been using AI for 25 years and have never seen anything like this. Any ideas how to get rid of it? 

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 1.42.22 PM.png

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Print and publish

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it only appear after a change to your equipment or software?

Does it change if you change the layer colour?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not done any updates to A1 2021, or the OS on the Mac for months. Its then even when I have all layers turned off. Its like a ghost image, doesn't seem to matter if I start a new project or something I did 1 year ago or from a customer

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.01.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To add, the size is always the same and it does not print out as a red line on any plate. If I save the file out as PDF an open it in Acrobat its not there. I can only see it in AI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any third party plugins installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only one from ESKO, been using it for year. I removed it and that didn't do anything. This might sound like a dumb question but is their a keyboard command or shortcut that would put a red line there? I thought I might have accidently turned something on, I checked everything I could think of

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there isn't such a shortcut.

The only redthing would be the bleed. But it's not possible to get it like that. So this red thing doesn't appear inthe layers panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, it doesn't seem to be layer dependant. I can have 50 layers and turn the view all off and the red line still appears. Below is a screen shot with .5 inch bleed on which you can see

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 2.28.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try View > Preview on CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so it's a feature not a bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feature?  What feature and how can I turn it off or get rid of it????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If only I knew, AFAIK no one else has mentioned this, so it's a pretty unique situation, I can only assume there's some weird combination of pref settings that is confusing Illy into telling it to render this line. You might want to try changing some of your guide prefs and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for grins, change the user interface (canvas colour) pref

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an update for your graphics card available?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've reset the preferences, change them, change the backround color.... you name it I tried. No update for the card. My coworker is running the same iMac.... and he does not have the issue. This does not happen in AI 22 or 23. However I really like 21....large files don't crash as much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My suspect would still be a third party plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed, reloaded everything and used it for a week. Still there Lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Laszlo P. Bagi,

We understand that encountering technical issues can be frustrating. Would you mind trying to run Illustrator under a different administrator account (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/add-a-user-or-group-mchl3e281fc9/mac) and checking if it helps?

If the issue persists, kindly share a screen recording of the problem (https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/screen-record-an-issue-on-windows-amp-macos-f...), so we can investigate this further.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks,

Anubhav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using a different Admin did not make any difference. Its a very strange issue that occurs with SOME new files and Some old ones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another screen video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello @Laszlo P. Bagi,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We recommend updating Illustrator to the latest version (https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html) to see if the issue persists. Sometimes, updates can help resolve certain issues. Please let us know if you still experience the problem after updating. We're here to help if you need further assistance.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines