• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to switch files by clicking on Tabs in Illustrator 2019 on macOS High Sierra

Community Beginner ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has happened through multiple versions of Ai and Psd. As you can see in the screen captures, no matter what tab I've selected, I can only see 1 file. This happens randomly, and I have to restart the program to get the tabs to work properly again.

ai-1.jpgai-2.jpgai-3.jpg

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Corrupted preferences file, perhaps? I had this issue a while back and I'd have to clear it by hopping between programs or clicking on the desktop a bunch of times. Once I cleared out the corrupted preferences file the problem stopped for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2019 Aug 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure, but I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, could you indicate the version of Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop in use and the features of your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator 2019 23.0.4, PSD CC 2018 19.1.2

iMac 2017 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7 - 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 - High Sierra 10.13.6

Again, this has happened through multiple versions. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try uninstalling and installing the two software again. Use Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to install Adobe programs and remove any corrupted files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try it, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I could see that there are three different files opened but whichever tab you click it shows the same file. This is definitely not a typical experience with Illustrator.

In addition to the suggestions shared above, I would request if you can try the following steps and share results:

1. Reset Preferences:

• Go to locations
  • ~/Library/Caches
  • ~/Library/Application Support/Adobe
  • ~/Library/Preferences
  • Rename  Adobe Illustrator, com.adobe.illustrator and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings folders to Adobe Illustrator.old, com.adobe.illustrator.old and Adobe Illustrator 23 Settings.old
  • Launch Illustrator from the Creative Cloud.

2. If that doesn't help, boot the system to Safe mode: Start in Safe Boot mode for Adobe products on Mac OS X and check how it works there.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

did you manage to get a fix? My Illustrator keeps doing this at least once a week, it's obviously a bug. the only thing that works is pulling the file out of the application window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, did you manage to get it fixed? it is still happening on AI 2020 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  there, 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing with Illustrator. I would request if you can share a few more details like:

1. The exact version of Illustrator and the Operating System.
  2. Have you tried the steps suggested by Srishti?
  3. Is this happening on a specific document?

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am experiencing this problem as well. Closing the application and reopeing seems to correct the issue, but it would be nice to not have to do that. Please advise on a solution.

System details:

Adobe Illustrator 24.0.1

MacOS Catalina 10.15.2

iMac Retina 5k, 27"

40GB DDR4 memory

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2020 Jan 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I would request to update the illustrator to v24.0.3 which is the latest version for macOS and check if it is working after that? If not, please try the steps suggested by Srishti to reset the preferences and let us know if it works.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything is up to date and the steps followed as prescribed. The issue still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest Illustrator version 2020, latest operating system on Mac Pro. Poor excuse to be blaming it on anything other than Illustrator having a bug, seeing how many people have complained. It's not a crippling problem but just inconvenient when it happens because it's a silly problem to have.

I will not be running my system in Safe Mode since a) I shouln't have to, b) the problem comes and goes. By the time I exit Illustrator to restart in Safe Mode I might as well reopen my Illustrator again as that solves it- the point is, it should work without me having to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree here. There shouldn't be this many hoops just to use the program as intended. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you don't want to try out the options in order to find the cause of the issue, then please contact Customer Care. They can login to your system to find it.

It must be something happening on your system, becasue obviously for most people it works (otherwise this thread would have 200 pages).

Please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The options were tried as stated above. They yield no results. This happens on 2 different machines indiscriminently multiple times a day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2020 Jan 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting this same bug at least once a week, too.   The only way around it is to drag the document tab down, out of the toolbar. Then the document I want loads in its own window.   

I've been having this error for over a year, and always keep my software up to date.   

Currently on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) 

3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88)

Illustrator 23.1

Pretty infuriating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm bumping this one back up again. It's now happening multiple times a day in Illustrator and Photoshop. The only fix is quit the program and restart. It's making working the Adobe suite nearly impossible. This is the absolute latest version of everything. 

High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)

4.2 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had some success by hitting 'F' 3 times to cycle the fullscreen aspect of the open documents.   This doesn't always work, but like clockwork, this BUG happened again today.   

I capitalise BUG, because Adobe don't seem to think it is.   Maybe if we yell loud enough they might start caring. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip. Doesn't do anything for me, but I gave it a run. I'm closing the opening the program multiple times a day on multiple machines. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm honestly tired of stuff like this with Adobe. Without fail each iteration introduces some new janky bug we all have to work around or plan for. Start over on a giant project to reset prefs. After 20 years using them, it's always the same story. They act like it's not a bug, then they quietly patch it with an update that introduces new ones. I would love for it to at least stay the same. Tired of getting nailed with some error in the middle of design crunch time. All in all their software is in desperate need of a fresh rebuild for modern machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact Customer Care: http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

They can login to your system to sort things out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with b87493049. . it's decades of the same old issues. Where is the money going? I really wish they would just draw a line in the sand. Feature set 'done' and now spend some time making it just work. even if they have to give us a couple of machine or OS specific variations like you get for grahpics drivers etc. 

I'm kind of expecting we can all just QuarkXpress these issues away soon, the competitors are circling like sharks around Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines