• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe software temporary files block iCloud Drive

Enthusiast ,
Sep 19, 2022 Sep 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue for months, if not years. 

I save almost all my working files in iCloud Drive. This means that, when an Adobe software such as InDesign creates a file, it also creates the backup file in the same folder. 

Almost every day, at the end of the day, I see something like this in my Finder:

Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 23.26.36.png

Until I restart the Mac or, sometimes, log out-in of macOS, the issue doesn't go away. It is as if some tiniest files got stuck or got lost somewhere in the process. I spent hours and hours with Apple Support and no one has ever been able to fully help me.

Today I finally manage to pinpoint the source of the issue: Adobe temporary files. How can I be so sure? Easy: today I used Adobe software only, nothing else, for the whole day. Illustrator, Animate, InDesign, Acrobat. 

Since moving all my working files outside would be unpractical now, is there a way to tell Adobe softwares to save the temporary backup files somewhere else? 

Thank you

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Maybe an illegal character in the file or folder naming?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/arent-my-files-syncing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a solution for you, but I can tell you that iCloud can be a buggy mess unless you're using it for some most basic tasks.

I can only recommend to try more robust cloud solutions such as DropBox or Google Drive (I personally don't have experience using them for InDesign production but I know that quite a few users employ them successfully).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropbox is a resource hogger and I have never managed to be at peace with Google Drive but yes, you are right, there are other services. In the end, for new works, I will place them in a local folder and move the project to iCloud once its over. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always thought iCloud storage was overpriced. If you subscribe to MS Office home subscription, you get to share your subscription with 4-5 other members and each person gets 1 TB of storage on OneDrive. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have OneDrive with the Office Family subscription but it is so poorly integrated with Apple devices (the iOS / iPadOS app is just too bad to believe) that, in the end, I only use it for passive storage of files. 

When it works, iCloud is very nice, but yes, it's overpriced compared to other companies' offerings (Dropbox excluded). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Inélsòre,

Since this is something that you are suggesting across a suite of applications I am not sure how much hopeful can one be for Adobe to work on this aspect. However, for feature requests you can start from the following link

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/how-to-user-voice.html

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Inélsòre , You can also save your InDesign files and assets in the User>Creative Cloud Files folder, and everything will automatically backup to your Adobe account’s cloud storage—from your Creative Cloud app choose File>Go to Creative Cloud Web to see the synced files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never tried Adobe Cloud too much, even if I have the 100GB included in the subscription, for anything outside of Photoshop docs. The fact that I cannot see them in the Finder makes me feel uneasy. 

Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that I cannot see them in the Finder makes me feel uneasy.

I wasn’t referring to Photoshop’s .psdc cloud format.

In your computer’s User folder, the Creative Cloud app installs a folder named Creative Cloud Files. Any files saved in that folder automatically sync to your Adobe Cloud account’s Synced Files directory. The sync’d files act as a cloud backup, or you can invite other CC users to also sync to a folder and collaborate.

Here you can see some of the files and folders I have syncing to my cloud account. There are no restrictions on file formats, but there are some characters that are not allowed in the file naming—the green check marks indicate the syncing was successful.

Screen Shot 2.png

This thread has more details:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/do-indesign-links-work-with-adobe-cloud-multiple...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 24, 2022 Sep 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear @rob day

I have just tried to save an InDesign document in a folder in Creative Cloud in the Finder.

A notification came saying that it was unable to sync. 

In Finder I see the file with the Red Triangle next to it.

No mention of what the error is.

What should I do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe an illegal character in the file or folder naming?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/arent-my-files-syncing.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was it, thank you! And sorry for bothering you with such an apparently simply issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL of the common cloud services--Creative Cloud, iCloud, DropBox, Box, Google Drive, OneDrive--offer desktop sync software. I use all of them except iCloud and sync my files between 4 computers.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines