• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automating a Product Style Catalog

Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a very simple table orientated product style catalog for work. Starting off with 250 products and growing up to 6K. I use photoshop mostly, and not very fluid with InDesign. I figured this would be dead simple to automate, but keep hitting barrier after barrier. I'll explain the problems I am having to see is there are any soltutions. I am using a parent page with header, footer and page count.

First off, data merge doesn't work with tables. Not sure why Adobe hasn't updated this. I found a script that I thought was going to bridge that gap, but I cannot get it to work. Found the script here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD2NwzTAN7w&t=1s 

Seemed to be cake and this is exactly what I am tryign to do, but maybe the newest update broke it. In fact, I get the same error referenced in this article: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/quot-referenceerror-object-is-invalid-102-quot-w... 

After abandoning that, I thought of maybe doing two different merges, one table data and the other with thier respective images. Placing the table with the data worked just fine, even though the saved formating I used really didn't take. But, trying to place multiple images is giving mixed results. Reference: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylw6_6keG30&t=186s 

Using data merge and create merge document, sometimes the "multiple records" is greyed out. When going through the process, it creates multiple pages, placing one image per page and also duplicating the data table.  Very annoying and not sure where the problem is coming from. 

In the meantime, I am going to manually create this catalog. But find it very disappointing that InDesign doesn't have built in automation to pull data and images from a table to create a simple formatted layout. On Win 11 Pro with newest version of InDesign 2024. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Here is an example image of what I am tryign to accomplish.

Screenshot 2024-08-21 151007.png

TOPICS
How to , Performance , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2024 Sep 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would look at a third-party plugin for database publishing. They come in two categories: import from a delimited or Excel file; or connect directly to database(s). Some companies are Em Software, Teacup Software, and 65bit. There are others, but these are the ones I use, with Em Software InData being my go-to solution. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also recommend a third-party dedicated plugin. I tried out several several years ago to assemble large company directories on a regular basis. Em Software's InData was the one I ended up with for MY specific purposes (not necessarily promoting theirs over others), and it saved me so much time, and did very much pay for itself very quickly the first year. In fact, once I worked out the template for my info (which will be the longest time involvement), it literally generated a 200-page catalog in less than 20 minutes, and it only got easier each year.

That being said, these plug-ins work best on very well shaped data sources, so it might take you awhile to tweak your CSV file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...]

That being said, these plug-ins work best on very well shaped data sources, so it might take you awhile to tweak your CSV file.

By Brad @ Roaring Mouse

That's always the MOST important part of the whole workflow - and the person preparing data - does at least 80% of the overall work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NMX_00

Unfortunately, built in DataMerge is limited to either long tables or business cards / leaflets. 

You have multiple tables with different number of rows.

Your options are: 

1) expensive 3rd party solution - what @Dave Creamer of IDEAS mentioned,

2) import Excel as one long table, then use a dedicated script that will either format headers or split it into separate tables, 

3) less expensive, dedicated 3rd party solution 😉 

Which option you choose depends on your budget and how many bells and whistles you need. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Regarding expensive 3rd party solutions... 

That is subjective depending on the job. I was producing 800-page directories about every two weeks for 1-1/2 years with the InData plugin. At the time, the plugin was around $400 US which more than paid for itself. (Em Software has a different price structure now and you can subscribe for 6 months for $129 US if it's a short schedule; longer terms have more savings.)

TeaCup Software's Datalinker is $149 per year--again not outragous if one values one's time.

65bit Easy Catalog Lite is $299 but appears to need updates for new ID versions. They have (much) more expensive option but that probably wouldn't be necessary.

2. You don't have to import as one long table--you can use named regions. You can bring images in from an Excel file with some restrictions: it can't be placed into a cell oddly enough, it must be placed over the cell and sized to the cell. InDesign will anchor it to the cell upon import. 

3. We wouldn't be talking about one of your scripts--would we? 😜

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then looks like I was looking at wrong price lists - what I saw was at least $600-1200 / year for a basic version plus $200-300 for additional modules?

Named regions would require manual importing of each one? 

I was suggesting using DataMerge to import everything in one go - then either formatting or splitting + formatting. 

Yes, my IDT 😉 not free but overall should provide much more versatility. 

With correctly prepared data - step that would've to be done anyway - it could be one-click-solution - import + post-processing = ready-to-print. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I wasn't so far off with the prices - only TeaCup is cheap - the rest - full versions - are pretty expensive...

InCatalog Pro - $719.00 / year.

Full EasyCatalog + extras:

RobertatIDTasker_0-1725646506507.png

TeaCup is just a bit better than built in DataMerge - not so advanced like the rest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, I was referring to InData, not InCatalog. Without more details from the OP, I don't know if InCatalog is necessary. 

Except for EasyCatalog Lite, 65bit was always (too) expensive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, I was referring to InData, not InCatalog.

By @Dave Creamer of IDEAS

I know. InData is much cheaper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...]

2. You don't have to import as one long table--you can use named regions. 

[...]

Just in case someone might be interested 😉

RobertatIDTasker_0-1725653067404.png

And from there - there are no limits of what user can do... will just import contents of those ranges as tables into InDesign - or use contents as CSV file, like built-in DataMerge - or use as commands to create objects...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks very similar to Named Regions in Excel. 

2024-09-06_15-23-26.gif

If you need to edit the names or regions, you go to Formulas tab >  Defined Named group > Name Manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Dave Creamer of IDEAS

Those are Named Regions loaded from Excel - sheet at the top with colored areas. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As simple as this application is, it isn't how Data Merge works. I can recommmend em Software's WordsFlow, which allows you to place Excel spreadsheets and maintain your InDesign formatting when the spreadsheet updates, and InData, which is tailor-made for simple catalog work.

However, you say you're a beginner with InDesign and from the tone of your post it doesn't seem like this project is on a tight deadline, so I'm going to suggest doing something else first: master the basics of InDesign before you tackle something that is decidedly not part of "InDesign 101." None of the catalog options discussed here are hard unless you are not familiar with InDesign. Their user documentation assumes an intermediate level of knowledge, so it will be a tough slog for a relative newbie.

I would strongly recommend taking the time to go through David Blatner's InDesign Essential Training title on LinkedIn Learning, or an equivalent on SkillShare. You should be able to complete the training within the free intro period, and you will set yourself up for successful implementation.

In general, it isn't productive to try to find out how to do one isolated thing with any professional-grade tool like InDesign. Learn the overall functioning of the tool first, then get into more complex operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2024 Sep 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, one can do the Excel link without additional software; where WordsFlow shines is with two-way workflow with Word documents. 

The other problem is the automatic placement of graphics. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 07, 2024 Sep 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[...] The other problem is the automatic placement of graphics. 

That's why I suggested 2) option - use DM to import as one big table - then either styling "virtual" headers or splitting. 

JS script for that would be trivial - finding empty cell in the 1st column, starting from the 3rd row, then either formatting this and next row or selecting everything from the previous row to the 1st row, cutting and pasting in the 1st InsertionPoint of the ParentStory and applying TableStyle - then rinse & repeat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2024 Sep 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, one can, but all styles are lost when updating. WordsFlow prevents the styles from breaking:

"The Pro version of WordsFlow also works with imported Excel spreadsheet files as well as Word files. You can place a spreadsheet file, then format columns/rows or individual cells, etc. in InDesign. Later, if you or someone else makes changes to the original spreadsheet, including moving around rows or columns, WordsFlow will figure out what changed, and merge in the changes without losing the formatting and edits you’ve made in InDesign."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Vivacious_passion16B8 Cell styles, connected to Paragraph styles are retained using the built-in Excel linking. 

In addition to Cell styles, WordsFlow does retain directly-applied Paragrpah style, Character style, and manual formatting.

Also, with WordsFlow, one has to be careful with edits made directly in InDesign. If the same cell is edited with different data, both data is retained in the cell. Strange things can happen with conflicting merging of cells too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's strictly one-way now, iirc. On the WF page, they call it "one and a half way," but the bottom line is changes made inside InDesign are not propagated back to Excel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is correct, unlike the Word connection, which can be two-way, Excel is just one way. The issues in my second paragraph were from InDesign's viewpoint: Edits made in Excel and InDesign to the same cells, then the Excel link is updated in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines