• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Book file not saving changes

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2017 Apr 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our 3 person graphics department is working on a updating a 15 section 350+ page catalog in InDesign CC2017. We've created a book file and are making changes to the different sections (opening them only through the book file) but are finding revisions that have been made were not saved when we re-open the sections later in the day or the following day. There are always multiple sections in the indb panel with yellow caution triangles saying the document was modified outside the book file which is odd since the sections are opened only through the indb file.

The catalog is entirely product based and all the text has paragraph and character styles applied.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Hi Chloeemma,

Please note that InDesign does not allow same document to be opened by various users at the same time.

If somehow your network location gets unavailable, InDesign will prompt you to "save as" the file at your local system.

Can you please check if there is some intermittent network fluctuations happening while you are doing these operation on network.

Regards,

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2017 Apr 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue with a 208 page document (price book). Ive been saving and exporting the document as PDF's. When I make changes I save as normal then export. I am receiving the same edits to be made again and again as if I have never made them. But when I save there are no errors!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note I am saving to an external server and I have a feeling that this is causing the issue. I really wish I got an error message when this occurred though. I am going to start 'saving as' instead of overwriting the original file and see if this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chloeemma,

Please note that InDesign does not allow same document to be opened by various users at the same time.

If somehow your network location gets unavailable, InDesign will prompt you to "save as" the file at your local system.

Can you please check if there is some intermittent network fluctuations happening while you are doing these operation on network.

Regards,

Monica Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

Yes I am aware of that. The document has only been worked on by myself but has been saved onto a server on our work network. I have discovered that there more than likely has been some fluctuations happening when working on and saving the document.

I have decided to break down the file and work on it in sections instead. Hopefully this solves the issue!

Thanks!

Chloe Wilson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing these solutions. However, I don't think this is what the OP was asking.... I think she wants to know (as do Sandy and I) why we are getting yellow triangle warnings even when no one else is touting the same docs, and why changes may not be saving. Perhaps these are really separate issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MollyzMom​ !
Since I posted this - we have had a plugin (sorry im unsure of the name) installed on our shared server to allow our Macs to connect to the drive better than it was. This has alleviated all issues thank goodness. So I believe the issue was being caused by interruptions to the connection. I wish 'Id' would be able to pick this up and warn us before we think our work has been saved though. Good luck with finding a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The writer didn't say they were opening the same section by multiple people. She said she had multiple people working on different sections. Maybe you're meaning that the INDB can't be open by multiple people. OK I get that.

HOWEVER, the INDB function still doesnt' seem to work properly. I am opening INDD files from the book, WITH THE BOOK FULLY OPENED (i.e., not collapsed), I save the INDD file, then close the INDD file - with the book still FULLY OPEN. STILL, the Book gives me the yellow triangle warning that the document was saved outside the book. I HATE the book feature because of this. Creates such insecurity for the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this question been re-answered correctly anywhere since you posted this clarification, Sandy? We are having the same problem on our team. Again, as you said, no two people are in the same DOC at the same time, but we do need to be in the same book. I can't find a clear answer: is it better, at the end of the day, to save the doc and THEN save the book? Or does ONLY saving the book AUTOMATICALLY save all changes to its docs? And if so, which docs? The ones I have open or all of them in the book? And how does that affect anyone else's work on book docs? We use Dropbox BTW. Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never received an answer to this question that really addresses the problem. I'm the only person working on the document. I have book open and open the document from it. I have the book open when I save a document. I then close the document and save the book. The book still shows that the document was worked on outside the book. It wasn't. I am very distrustful of the book function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 27, 2019 Sep 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is a bit old, but I am having the same problems while working on a book file (I work alone) with multiple sections. I need to open and resave the file several times, before the book changes it's status to updated (the yellow exclamation gone), but then after a while, when I open it again, I again see the exclamation marks on random files, and again the Book thinks that file were "modified outside"...

I also don't understand why this question was marked as "solved", since this issue was never actually solved yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you ever get an answer??? Happening to me right now. No server, just me & my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a three-year old thread that was marked as answered a long time ago, so very few people will still be viewing ti - your best bet to get an answer would be to start a new thread with the specifics of your operating system and InDesign versions, and the specifics of the issue you are having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whom ever answered this post seems to have opened more problems. Reading the stream here, the "Question" was never answered. The question was, "I'm got the "Document was not Saved in the Book" yellow triangle. The questioneer asked, "How do I fix that once I've gotten it." Instead of answering, the answerer gave a long speil on how they believed the anomaly began. So Here's how I fixed it, once the yellow triangle appeared. I went to the book pannel menue>entered preflight mode then went back to>the book pannel menue>update numbering>and updated the numbering for the book, this cleared all the yellow warnign boxes. Hope this helps. G. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gary1.oram 

Thank you, your solution worked for me.

I work alone over Box. I believe the cloud server connection may have caused this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2022 May 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for finally answering the original question. This worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines