Copy Pasting From Illustrator to InDesign

Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, everyone.

I'd just like to ask if it's recommended to copy directly from Illustrator to InDesign.

I am working on some vector shapes that I need to use for my book layout.

Would it be recommended to directly copy-paste or do I have to save it as .PNG?

Thanks a lot.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Derek's suggestion is the best one I can think of.

Some notes:

* Converting to PNG (or JPEG or TIFF) will turn your vector artwork to raster. Probably destroy the quality, certainly destroy the scalability.

* Copy and paste is simple, but it has to go through the system's idea of what a graphic is like, which can limit or damage it

* When you PLACE a graphic, the original graphic must remain accessible. This allows you to keep track of what you are working with more easily, though you do need to be

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 28, 2018 Jul 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Place the native AI file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely neither of the things you say.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you suggest? Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek's suggestion is the best one I can think of.

Some notes:

* Converting to PNG (or JPEG or TIFF) will turn your vector artwork to raster. Probably destroy the quality, certainly destroy the scalability.

* Copy and paste is simple, but it has to go through the system's idea of what a graphic is like, which can limit or damage it

* When you PLACE a graphic, the original graphic must remain accessible. This allows you to keep track of what you are working with more easily, though you do need to be careful to keep your graphics around. Best to arrange all the graphics used in one publication into a special folder you make with the INDD also.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually use Copy Past from illustrator, for simple objects (not complicated), therefore i can Edit and do some changes as i need with InDesign, change colors... but for complicated artworks i place the original Ai file.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the greatest advantages of placing images from Illustrator to InDesign comes when a Illustrator file (.ai) appears multiple times within an InDesign document (a logo, for instance). If any editing is necessary for that object it can simply be done once in the native Illustrator file and then all instances of it will have been fixed when the file is updated in the InDesign file.

I also completely agree with Test Screen (is that a first name or last name?) that you should not convert Illustrator files to a PNG or other raster format. The greatest advantage that a vector file has over a raster one is that there are no resolution constraints for a vector file. You can use it any size with no reduction of quality. In a production environment that is huge.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I totally do not how I can post this question on a new thread (very new).  When I copy and paste from Illustrator to Indesign everything but four mini projects transfer perfectly but those four turns wonky and it "blacks out" a good bit of the design. Help is greatly appreciated.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's generally better to place your Illustrator art (.ai) into your InDesign page (File> Place), however there are occasions where you might need to edit a vector element within InDesign, where copy/paste would be the best option. Go to your InDesign preferences> Clipboard handling> Prefer PDF when Pasting, and turn this on, that might fix your issue.

clipboard preference.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fantastic suggestion, this prefer pdf while pasting.  Worked for me. Thnks

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am encountering this problem from time to time, and for me the issue almost always have to do with the state/properties of the vector object so to speak. And the solution that most of the time works for me is to Expand/Expand apperance the object.
Of course the best way to deal with vector objects in InDesign is to import/place them as eps or ai files. But sometimes you want the option to recolor an object, or in other ways manipulate the object, directly in InDesign and then it is nessecary to be able to copy from Illustrator to InDesign.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines