• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drag imaged automatically

Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2024 May 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello I have a file with several simple pages, for example 20 pages of size 15x20. I need to know if I can drag X images at once from a folder and have one image automatically placed in order on each page. thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

The order is alphabetical. The images are numbered as 001, 002, etc.
With data merge I use it when I need to do something specific with many images: 800, 1000, etc. but for intermediate things of 30, 50, or 100 images (which I do many a day) doing it like this would delay me.
I'm going to look for some scripts to see if I find something that works for me. thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

[...] 
I'm going to look for some scripts to see if I find something that works for me. thank you

By @arturod36921115

With this script - you just need to put IMPORTABLE files into a separate folder - it can be mix of PDFs, JPEGs, EPSs, INDDs, etc. 

It works like Contact Sheet in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I'm understanding you, you have 20 images and you want to place one of the images placed on each of the 15x20 pages, right?

On the Parent page for the document (assuming all pages share the same parent), create a graphic placeholder frame.  With the parent placeholder selected, choose Object > Fitting > Frame Fitting Options to choose the way you want the images to be fit on your document pages)

Select the 20 files in the order you want them in page sequence (the order you select determines the order place). Click the placement cursor on the placeholder frame of each page to place the 20 images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: Dragging the images won't work. It won't properly create or size the graphic frames you'll need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2024 May 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I do now, what I need is for it to do it automatically. Some works are 20 images but others are 50, 100 or more. And I do many in a row of those a day. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@arturod36921115

There is a free Image Catalog script included with InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a cool script, Robert. I just played with it for the first time. But can you control the order? That's the part I couldn't figure out. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a cool script, Robert. I just played with it for the first time. But can you control the order? That's the part I couldn't figure out. 

~Barb

By @Barb Binder

No idea how to do it on a Mac - but on PC - it's very easy - you can use DIR command and direct result to a text file. 

On a Mac / Linux it should work the same - LS command in the terminal? 

By default, it should be sorted alphabetically, but if you would prefer by date / size - you would need to include this info in the "report" then use Excel or something similar to sort. 

----

The above is to prepare CSV file for DataMerge - not that it will affect the script, sorry. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the order? By name? By date modified? By date added? 

You can do it as a data merge.

There's a nifty script that will make the CSV file for you with the correct path names

https://creativepro.com/import-folder-full-pictures-page/

Then setup the data merge - and you can import the images in the order as per the CSV file

or arrange your images another way.

----

@Steve Werner  use of Parent Pages is absolutely correct way to proceed.

You can drag the images in from the folder - and drag them all at once

The placeholder cursor will turn to the icon

In the Links Panel (I think maybe it's somewhere else) you can see what image is loaded

And you can cylce through the images using the arrow keys

But you need to click per page it won't be automatic. 

------------------

If you search the internet for scripts to do with Placing Folder of Images Indesign

There's lots out there already

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/script-to-place-folder-of-images-100-one-image-p...

How to install and use scripts

https://creativepro.com/how-to-install-scripts-in-indesign/

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The order is alphabetical. The images are numbered as 001, 002, etc.
With data merge I use it when I need to do something specific with many images: 800, 1000, etc. but for intermediate things of 30, 50, or 100 images (which I do many a day) doing it like this would delay me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[...] 

By @arturod36921115

With this script - you just need to put IMPORTABLE files into a separate folder - it can be mix of PDFs, JPEGs, EPSs, INDDs, etc. 

It works like Contact Sheet in Photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines