Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop Caps behind the scene

Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I would like to know how does the Drop Cap works behind the scene.

Just in case if I want to give drop cap manually without using InDesign's help, how can I do that ?

I know it is a silly question but I would like to know. 

I was trying to give a drop cap manually in my document for some reason but it did not work out well. 

I created a character style of 30 points font size. BUT I was not able to apply 2 lines or 3 lines option manually.

Thanks and sorry for such a silly question.

Regards

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

I am not sure there is any simple way to do a multi-line drop cap in InDesign other than by placing the initial in a text box, and positioning that box, with appropriate anchoring, size and text wrap.

When exported to HTML or EPUB, it's actually quite simple in HTML/CSS code. The export is usually 'perfect' and it's easy to change or tweak it using CSS. But in ID, I think that text frame is needed unless you use the built-in feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure there is any simple way to do a multi-line drop cap in InDesign other than by placing the initial in a text box, and positioning that box, with appropriate anchoring, size and text wrap.

When exported to HTML or EPUB, it's actually quite simple in HTML/CSS code. The export is usually 'perfect' and it's easy to change or tweak it using CSS. But in ID, I think that text frame is needed unless you use the built-in feature.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@James Gifford—NitroPress Thanks. I thought so that it would be difficult to do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @shahidr100 You mean you can't do this? (or I don't understand the question…) 

Capture d’écran 2023-03-24 à 18.25.34.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmlevy Hi. Thanks for the reply. Ofcourse I can do that BUT I would like to know how to do it manually without using Indesign's Dropcap feature. 

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@shahidr100 I had a doubt when I was writing my answer, my apologies. But I am curious to know why you don't want to use the drop cap feature…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jmlevy You dont have to apologise for anything my friend.

Actually I work mostly on Urdu and Arabic language. Unlike English, in Urdu and Arabic the words break if I specify number of characters to be used for Dropdown. So, I thought it would be easier if I do it manually.

Finally, I have made a box with no color and fill and anchored it in the beginning. I was looking for some better method. 

Thanks to all for their valuable information.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't include the size in  character style here. If the size does not fit because of the different font, use percentage scaling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willi Adelberger Ok. I have not tried that but will it make a difference ? Anyway I will give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Willi Adelberger Your percentage scaling method worked to some extent. Now the only thing left is number of lines to be indented, which I guess will work if I put an anchored box or box with text wrap on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines