• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Endnote links in multiple chapters from an InDesign book file for EPUB 3.0

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2022 Aug 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! I'm ready to chuck my computer out the window!

I have a multi-chapter book created in a InDesign and many of the chapters have endnotes. Kindle requires endnotes (or footnotes) to be bi-directional links. These work fine in the first chapter, but subsequent chapters the links are broken. 

When I use eCanCrusher to open the xhtml files, I can see the backlink from the actual endnotes have an empty href. Why? How do I fix this without manually typing in every single link for the remaining 67 chapters?!? TIA.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Hi @Adrienne Grace ,

you linked to a feature request.

However, what we can see with the EPUB export from a book file with endnotes is indeed a bug.

So I would do a bug report in category ePub/HTML/Publish Online:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs?category_id=209104

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Professional )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up to my original post. I did a screen share session with an Adobe Tech Support person and only after nudging them did they even get back to me. The response:

"We have shared the issue with the product team for further investigation.
Currently, we do not have a workaround for this issue other than creating a single document instead of book or manually modifying backlink in the exported EPUB file."

I replied requesting this feature request be worked on and it was requested back in 2020, so you can up-vote it here and add your comments: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/40385497-al... 

Was really hoping for better news. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as noted, end notes have a number of issues in ID, and have never really been properly integrated with Book structure.

Both end notes and footnotes need improvement for EPUB export as well.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Adrienne Grace ,

you linked to a feature request.

However, what we can see with the EPUB export from a book file with endnotes is indeed a bug.

So I would do a bug report in category ePub/HTML/Publish Online:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs?category_id=209104

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature request link suggested by the Suport Tech, but you've got an excellent point, Uwe — it IS a bug! I'll create a ticket and, if it's something people can vote on, I'll put the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a bug ticket (thank you @Laubender for the suggestion). Please upvote it! https://bit.ly/3CQOsJm 

Thanks again everyone for all the testing, ideas, and suggestions. Love having the brains and experience of so many here to help wade through issues, even if there wasn't an immediate resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Adrienne!

Commented and voted there.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines