Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export SVG from indesign

Guru ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

i looked this up and i found a post fro 2016. wanted to see if this is available as a script or some other way?Maybe things have change?

Can i export to SVG from indesign or do i need to make a .pdf and drop that into illustrator to export from illustrator after that? 

thanks

jonathan

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

There is no need for half-baked workarounds or expensive >$200 SVG export plugins.

Here's a cheap and cheerful method to export your InDesign pages to SVG and with good control:

[1] export your file as IDML.

[2] get Affinity Publisher (which happens to be 50% off right now: $29).

[3] open the IDML file in Publisher. Then choose File-->Export|SVG

[4] decide whether fonts must be outlined, the required export resolution, and so on. Click MORE for additional SVG export options.

[5] export each page/spr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jonathan,

as far as I know and could test this, InDesign CS3 was able to export to SVG.

That feature was dropped with CS4.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like a strange thing to give and take back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a strategic decision back then, I think.

Don't be too open with exchange formats.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-i-convert-my-indesign-documents-to-svg-files-without-...

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no need for half-baked workarounds or expensive >$200 SVG export plugins.

Here's a cheap and cheerful method to export your InDesign pages to SVG and with good control:

[1] export your file as IDML.

[2] get Affinity Publisher (which happens to be 50% off right now: $29).

[3] open the IDML file in Publisher. Then choose File-->Export|SVG

[4] decide whether fonts must be outlined, the required export resolution, and so on. Click MORE for additional SVG export options.

[5] export each page/spread to an SVG file.

Done. View your layouts in any browser and be happy. Publish to your web server, etcetera: regain control over your export. The SVG pages proportionally scale up and down in the browser. Even animated GIF images are maintained as animated bitmaps.

As I said: inexpensive and effective. 😛

As always, export quality depends a bit on how effects are applied in InDesign, of course. Certain effects may have to be rasterized before exporting to IDML for import into Publisher.

SVG export in Affinity Publisher features some good options: 

 

svg export.png

As far as I can tell, the only reason Adobe decided to rip SVG export out of InDesign is to force their users to remain tied to their ecosystem of cloud services. I agree with @Laubender .

Which only results in users driven to other alternatives in the long run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2022 Oct 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be lovely if this worked. I just downloaded the trial of Publisher to try this out and the output of the highly formatted text and tables is garbled and useless. I guess tiff output from ID will be best for hires Word placement. EPS is likely better, but preview is disabled, if not placing eps in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. My experience is that the conversion works very well on the whole, with a few exceptions, such as the lack of first-line only baseline grid alignment, and other small issues that have to be fixed.

If fonts used in the IDML file are not available on the local system to Publisher it will also make a mess of things, of course.

Another solution is to outline all text in InDesign, export to a PDF, open in Publisher or PhotoLine (or any other design app that opens a PDF and allows for SVG export) and then export the result to SVG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avoid EPS. Use PDF/X-4 insted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 22, 2022 Oct 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willi AdelbergerWithin the context of conversion to SVG or placing into a Word document? Either would not make a lot of sense nor require PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workaround was exporting to .png at 600 dpi, then using the cropping tools in Word to manipulate.

I appreciate the suggestions ðŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

png = raster image, svg = vector image.

Фарш невозможно провернуть назад*

* You can't do a steak from any farce. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of that George, though for printed documents, at least something on newsprint like our catalog, a 600 dpi "lossless" png file is more than adequate and retains the preview feature I needed for placing these inline with relative text. (I didn't bother sharing all of the context 🙂 Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Therefore, your trick is bad for the future readers of this thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"As far as I can tell, the only reason Adobe decided to rip SVG export out of InDesign is to force their users to remain tied to their ecosystem of cloud services. "

Don't think so. SVG export was dropped with InDesign CS4. That was some years before the cloud.

It was rather Flash vs SVG back then, I think. The developers concentrated on the preparation of Flash features with InDesign.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>> SVG export was dropped with InDesign CS4

Strange decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines