• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help recreating INDD from ICMA and ICML files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A terrible dilemma! The InDesign compositor working on a book for me disappearing leaving an icma file and a folder of icml files (for chapters), but no master file, it seems. I'm used to working in InCopy from the main indd file, and I think he didn't know how to set things up for InDesign/InCopy. We're now wondering if we can reconstruct the book from the files we have? I have someone who can do basic book composition but is flummoxed by this situation. Many thanks.

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

I got onto someone in Adobe Support and she did it! She created a new ID file, then used Place to grab the ICML files one by one. She held the shift key down so when she released to paste the ICML it kept the formatting. The file will need work to get it back into shape for final edits, but it's there now. A huge savings of time and effort. I noticed that the compositor who disappeared (after being paid in full to date) had split the book file into tiny pieces (a title page) and huge pieces (8 c

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, ouch. I have no respect for designers who drop out of projects leaving clients stranded, especially if any of the work has been paid for.

There is some data in those files, but not a book layout. As far as I know, the ICMA file is just an index of what InCopy content goes where, and the ICML files are partially-formatted content for InCopy. A very skilled InDesign wrangler might be able to get useful structure from those, but in practical terms, I think you're back at (and would be better starting anew from) your original manuscript files.

I could be missing something, though.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See below. Solution found, thank god.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ICMA is an assignment file that will display the page geometry of a select portion of an INDD file. If the ICMA file contains all of the InDesign file's content you can recreate the INDD file but it will have to be done manually. There is simply no way to convert the ICMA to INDD.

You might be able to import the styles from the ICML files but I've never tried doing that so I can't speak from experience. Long story short...you have a lot of work to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got onto someone in Adobe Support and she did it! She created a new ID file, then used Place to grab the ICML files one by one. She held the shift key down so when she released to paste the ICML it kept the formatting. The file will need work to get it back into shape for final edits, but it's there now. A huge savings of time and effort. I noticed that the compositor who disappeared (after being paid in full to date) had split the book file into tiny pieces (a title page) and huge pieces (8 chapters). I am going to make sure the new compositor goes chapter by chapter, and that we keep full backups. Thanks for the input, all, much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm impressed. That's some virtuoso work!

But yeah, it's a lesson. Not all book designers are equal, in professionalism or skills. Here's to better luck getting your book completed the right way!

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines