Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with InDesign: Page border

New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I was recently tasked with updating my companies catalog. I am very unfamiliar with Adobe and this seems like a pretty easy fix so no point in tasking someone else with it.

I'm not sure how to switch the page borders to a different color, I cannot even select them. Could someone please tell me what I need to do! 

Another question I had which isn't as pressing but figured would save me time. Is there a way to change the entire color them of a InDesign document. For example: Using the above pictures they are two shades of blue, would I be able to do two shades of red throughout the document? Or would I have to change each page border one by one? 

example 2 .pngexample 1.PNG

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you cannot select the borders, chances are good that they on on a Master Page (or Parent Page, if you are using ID 2022)

If that is the case, changing them on the one Master or Parent Page will change them on every page it has been applied to. 

(All the pink-tinted text means that you are missing a font or fonts used to set up this file - use can use the Find/Replace Font dialog to replace those)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the InDesign forum

Which version of InDesign and OS do you have?

The pink background in the screen shots indicates these fonts have not been installed. Either install them or choose other fonts you do have installed.

The borders are probably on a Master Page (now called the Parent Page in the latest version of InDesign) and you can change the colours there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! See that pink hue behind your text? All your fonts are missing.

Anyway, the borders are most certain on the Master page*, edit them there.

That said: you could do with a beginners course InDesign. Really.

*Called Parent page since 2022. Sigh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given that they have thrown you into this with no training at all, ask your management to buy a month or two of LinkedIn Learning so you can get familiar with the basics before you dive in, and learn more best practices as you go along. 

For instance, that Table of Contents is likely auto-generated based on Paragraph styles; you would need to know how that works from the start in order to apply the styles properly to make this happen. 

All of us are here to assist any way we can, but you will need at least a background in the basics to avoid creating unnecessary work for yourself (and for whoever does the next update on this book)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As most have said, if you can't select an item it is either a) locked or b) on a parent page. If you look in the pages palette (Window>Pages) you will see a list of all pages in the document, and at the top, the parent pages. You should see from the small preview of that page that your blue bars are in there. You can also see on the rest of the pages in your document which ones have parent pages applied to them (for example they might have A or B in the top corner).

Another way to change those two colours throughout without going into a masterpage is to find those colours in your Swatches (assuming they are in there) and edit those colours. They'll change wherever they're used, assuming you want them updated anywhere else in that document they are used ie on headings etc. I've changed the theme of a document many times in that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Work wth layers, with masters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines