• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I select objects across multiple pages and align center on each respective page in Indesign?

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2022 Nov 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm creating a manual over 200 pages long with placed images in Indesign (version 18). I used the super handy script for that which is awesome. But now I'm trying to find out if there's a way to select all placed images and center align on each page. The worst-case scenario is manually select the image and align center and repeating that 200x. sounds egregious so hope someone has a better solution, perhaps a script that can execute and cut production time in half.

Your insight is most appreciated.

Thanks

sntm

TOPICS
Performance , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have anchored them, the anchor paragraph style should have auto leadin and center the alignement.

If you have not anchored them, create an object style, in the section size and position options specify where you want to have the images. Apply that style to the images. You should work with object styles anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Willi Adelberger here. Objects styles are excellent for this. For example:

Screenshot 2022-11-17 at 19.27.48.png

And here's a version of script that uses this approach:

function main() {

var doc = app.activeDocument,
        items = doc.allGraphics,
        style = getByName(doc.allObjectStyles, 'Centered On Page');

for (var i = 0; i < items.length; i++) {
        try {
            items[i].parent.appliedObjectStyle = style;
        } catch (error) { }
    }

function getByName(styles, name) {

for (var i = 0; i < styles.length; i++)
            if (styles[i].name == name)
                return styles[i];

};

} // end main

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, 'Center All Graphics');

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback. Leaning on the script solution but I'm not that tech savvy. How do I convert codes into jsx so I could add to Indesign script panel?

sntm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To install a script from the forum:

1. Select the text from my post - just the "code" styled part.
2. Make a new text file in Notepad or TextEdit (IMPORTANT: must be plain text—not rich text).
3. Paste the code from step 1.
4. Save as "Script name here.js" (note: file extension is ".js") to your desktop.
5. In Indesign, open the Script panel, right-click on on User folder and choose "Reveal".
6. Move the file you saved in step 4 to the User folder that should now be visible.
7. Back in Indesign, the script should appear in the User folder of Scripts Panel (see Window menu > Utility).
8. Double click to run the script

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @m1b ,

file extension for ExtendScript scripts should be *.jsx.

Even if InDesign allows to execute *.js files from the Scripts panel.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Laubender, do you know of a case where it matters? I've never found one. I prefer ".js" because I associate ".jsx" with react files (as does VSCode, by default).

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've tried using the script with .jsx extension but got an error message. This is what I placed on the text file:

items = doc.allGraphics,
        style = getByName(doc.allObjectStyles, 'Centered On Page');

try {
            items[i].parent.appliedObjectStyle = style;
        } catch (error) { }
    }

function getByName(styles, name) {

for (var i = 0; i < styles.length; i++)
            if (styles[i].name == name)
                return styles[i];
and got this message:

sntm_0-1668795180178.png

Is the information incorrect in the script?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are missing the closing brace for the getByName function. Add this line at end:

};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sntm said: "The worst-case scenario is manually select the image and align center and repeating that 200x. sounds egregious…"

Hi @sntm ,

this is faster done than writing a script for it; or looking for one on the web.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @sntm, well here is a quick approach. - Mark

function main() {

app.scriptPreferences.measurementUnit = MeasurementUnits.POINTS;

items = doc.allGraphics;

try {

var item = items[i].parent,
                itemCenter = [item.geometricBounds[1] + (item.geometricBounds[3] - item.geometricBounds[1]) / 2, item.geometricBounds[0] + (item.geometricBounds[2] - item.geometricBounds[0]) / 2],
                page = item.parentPage,
                pageCenter = [page.bounds[1] + (page.bounds[3] - page.bounds[1]) / 2, page.bounds[0] + (page.bounds[2] - page.bounds[0]) / 2];

item.move(undefined, [pageCenter[0] - itemCenter[0], 0]);

} catch (error) { }

}

} // end main

app.doScript(main, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, 'Center All Graphics');

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi together,

I would say yes to Willi Adelberger's approach with an object style for position if there is only one image per page.

In case there are more one cannot use the object style, because all images on a page would share the same position. Also if you'd like to apply that object style to a group of graphic frames.

So a simple script could do this if the graphic frames are not positioned inside nested structures like groups.

Simply do a group of all graphic frames for every page and center the group on the page…

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines