• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I prevent border formatting from disappearing whenever I insert a table?

Contributor ,
Nov 05, 2022 Nov 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JonChambers_0-1667708573883.png

Hopefully the image above tells you all you need to know, but this is the inside of a textbox. I swapped out the genuine text with placeholder text so as not to distract you, but otherwise this is a very real project I'm actually working on.

So the text above appears inside a border. The text below appears inside a border. But what I actually want... I generated my desired output using photoshop, but I don't know how to replicate it into anything sensible in inDesign.

JonChambers_1-1667708959127.png

(I'll be changing the colour of the cells later anyway, so it doesn't matter if the solution preserves the transparency inside the cells or not.)

So, how do I do this?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

The easiest way - to achieve graphics part - would be to do each block of text/table as separate table - or anchored/inline TextFrame ... BUT if you'll have a lot of text before / after the table - it'll be complicated to flow the text...

How long are your before / after texts ?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

I think I understood you. Or if I didn't, my misunderstanding of you worked perfectly.

Using a table just didn't work as hoped, but using four textboxes in a group, c/p directly into the main textbox worked exactly as I intended. Here's a screenshot of the final result.

JonChambers_0-1667779247489.png

I'm still slightly disappointed that I couldn't get this feature to work when inserting a table, but given that I wanted a 4 cell table with all cells of exactly equal size, this restriction hasn't hurt my workflow for this proje

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to know what is going on without a detailed screen shot. Please provide one with frame edges and hidden characters showing. The box around the text above and below your table (which I assume you want gone) could be strokes on frames, paragraph borders, or tables. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Better?

JonChambers_1-1667710019129.png

Yeah, those are paragraph borders

Edit: If it helps to know, this is the top of 16 linked textboxes. So there is some wordwrap from the previous textbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way - to achieve graphics part - would be to do each block of text/table as separate table - or anchored/inline TextFrame ... BUT if you'll have a lot of text before / after the table - it'll be complicated to flow the text...

How long are your before / after texts ?

▒► ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard ◄▒

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The before text is 1811 words (at time of writing) and spans across 17 pages. 

The after text is 252 words long and spans across 2 pages.

Edit2: I deleted my first edit, which showed my misunderstanding of the solution presented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you put table inside the text - cursor in the empty paragraph, Table / Insert Table - your table will flow with the text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I understood you. Or if I didn't, my misunderstanding of you worked perfectly.

Using a table just didn't work as hoped, but using four textboxes in a group, c/p directly into the main textbox worked exactly as I intended. Here's a screenshot of the final result.

JonChambers_0-1667779247489.png

I'm still slightly disappointed that I couldn't get this feature to work when inserting a table, but given that I wanted a 4 cell table with all cells of exactly equal size, this restriction hasn't hurt my workflow for this project. Though having this behaviour work with inserted tables is something I still don't know how to do. Should I put in a feature request for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, now I'm completely lost 😞

What do you want to achieve? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I acheived it! My latest picture was an example of success. That's exactly what I was trying to do this whole time. When I do it with a table, it doesn't work. But when I do it with 4 textboxes, it works. No idea why, but I'm just rolling with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either I or Robert are not fully understanding your problem because I don’t see how his solution solves what I think is the problem.

As I see it you want the text above and below the table to NOT have a border and NOT have a different coloured background. This is easily accomplished. At the moment it appears those paragraphs have both a paragraph border and paragraph shading applied. You can turn those off in the Control Panel or in the expanded Paragraph panel.

Screenshot-2022-11-06-at-12.09.44-PM.png

Screenshot-2022-11-06-at-12.08.23-PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No... I want the text above and below to share the same border with eachother, and I want the table in the middle to share that border also. So I need to figure out how to turn it on for the table. I already know how to turn it off for the text. It took me ages to get it just right to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty sure I understand what you want to achieve 

Main TextFrame - brown background, text above / below table - gray background, table - transparent. 

Looks like I don't understand what you are trying to achieve 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would just adding a stroke to the text frame solve the problem? Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a way to apply a paragraph border to a paragraph with a table in it. Below you can see five paragraphs, including the one with the table. The paragraph border is not applied to the paragraph with the table in it, despite all thee middle paragraphs having the same formatting.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 8.24.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already solved it. Is my solution not showing up? I'm puzzled as to why more solutions keep flooding in.

No, adding a stroke to the text frame definitely wouldn't solve the problem. The solution is to create four more text frames, group them, and add a stroke to THAT border, as presented in my solution. (admittedly, the image doesn't show that step yet)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But four TextFrames grouped together is a 2x2 table ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, but they LOOK like a 2x2 table, and for print media, that's close enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok 🙂 I've re-read all your replies and now I think I understand what you are trying to achieve 😉

The misleading part were missing top and bottom edges on your example screens 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines