• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to export/publish interactive features for Kindle?

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a book I created in Indesign. The interactive links work great when exporting an interactive PDF, but when I try to publish EPUB for Kindle, the fixed layout doesn't work, so I had to Kindle Kid's Book creator to export images for fixed layout to work. However, it doesn't keep the interactive links in the text. Anyone know how to export the book so that the fixed layout will work AND the interactive links will work?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sure on this one

Perhaps @Barb Binder might know or someone who knows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2022 Apr 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure Kindle supports interactive links at all. AFAIK, even in-text TOCs and so forth are just text. It does have some support for web links and the like.

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are hyperlinks within the document, which work just fine when I export to an interactive PDF. But when exporting for Kindle, they don't seem to stay. Either the fixed layout doesn't work, or if I keep the fixed layout through the Kindle Kid's Book Creator it just keeps all the pages as PDF's, so it removes all of the interactive features. I seem at a loss here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Kindle and PDF are completely different formats. Kindle and EPUB are only sort of kissing cousins. What works (and how it works) in each doesn't have much to do with how (or if) it works in the others.

Again, I am not sure interactive page links work in Kindle, or work in all variations (FXL vs Reflowable, for example). A starting point might be to see if they work in the exported EPUB — use Thorium Reader or EPUB Reader for Chrome of Firefox — just to see if they are functional at that step. (Don't necessarily bother making the EPUB export optimal; it's just a test.)

—

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines