• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to maintain common photoshop layer comps when a different file is placed in indesign.

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys, I often data merge images into indesign. Say I have 500 of the below PSD files on the left. Previously I would export pngs from photoshop and then data merged those 500 odd pngs into an indesign file. It would make things simpler if I could use the existing PSD files and use a commonly named layer comp to turn of the background and date. So far when using a placeholder graphic (Layer comp set to display the portrait only) it doesn't work when dragging and dropping. I want an ability similar to fit to frame proportionally - when you merge images into a frame the fit properties stay the same.

Layer Comp Query.png

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @darrellpones,

Thank you for reaching out. It sounds like you're looking for a more efficient way to data merge images into InDesign using PSD files and layer comps. We can definitely understand how time-consuming it can be to export individual PNG files for each image and then data merge them into InDesign.

Fortunately, there is a solution that will allow you to use the existing PSD files and layer comps to turn off the background and date, as you described.

Here's what you can do:

• Open your PSD file and create a new layer comp with the desired settings (e.g. turn off background and date).
  • Save your PSD file and close it.
  • In InDesign, create a new document and set up your data merge as usual.
  • When you get to the point where you need to place the image, select the placeholder graphic and choose "File" > "Place."
  • "In the "Place" dialog box, navigate to the PSD file that you want to use.
  • Instead of simply clicking on the PSD file to place it, hold down the "Shift" key and click on it. This will bring up the "File Import Options" dialog box.
  • In the "File Import Options" dialog box, make sure that "Show Import Options" is selected.
  • Check the "Convert Layers to Objects" box and choose the desired layer comp from the drop-down menu.
  • Click "OK" to place the image.

By following these steps, you will be able to data merge images into InDesign using the existing PSD files and layer comps while turning off the background and date. The layer comp will be retained when you place the PSD file, so you won't need to go back and turn off the background and date for each individual image.

Please let us know if the above steps helped you or If I misunderstood your query. I am also keeping the discussion open for our experts, who might have more suggestions for you.

Thanks,

Harshika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly thankyou for your answer. I'll be doing a run in the next 36 hours so will test it and let you know. Hoping I can (after creating the layer comp) return the PSD to its normal state before saving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2023 Feb 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for the placed one but not when merging or pre viewing the merge? Video link here https://www.dropbox.com/s/q5icclgko64doqm/2023-02-19%2016-35-39.mkv?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 22, 2023 Feb 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you manage to get this working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines