• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Split Table Cells into multiple rows?

Contributor ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have a Table with cells that need to be split into multiple rows (see attached files). What is the best practice for this? I tried right click on cell --> split, but you can't specify the numbers, and the two columns become independant of each other. Is this a limitation in InDesign and I should find a script for? If so, does anyone know a script that works well for this kind of task? I.e. splitting a cell into multiple columns, based on paragraph break.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Sorry for being dense, but are you referring to splitting a cell? You can do that, but you have to manually cut-&-paste the text into the cell. (Technically, this feature simply adds a new row and merges the other cells automatically).

image.pngimage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rows don't split automatically. I do not know if there is a script or not. 

I went to get the link on InDesign User Voice to post the link and this feature was the first one listed:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Direct link to feature request:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33854788-op...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Nov 28, 2021 Nov 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  I do not know if there is a script or not. 

http://adobeindesign.ru/2021/02/14/%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5-%D1%81%D1%82%D1%80%D0%...

this is just workaround.

Adobe is not implemented this feature many years and even top-1 request feature not helps 😭 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Creamer Training 

Hi thank you for your reply. I was talking about splitting a cell inside a table into multiple cell like Word can, not rows not splitting across pages, but yes I did have a problem with that too and I already commented on your uservoice link.

@Geоrge is that script available in English? I'm afraid I can't follow Russian instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for being dense, but are you referring to splitting a cell? You can do that, but you have to manually cut-&-paste the text into the cell. (Technically, this feature simply adds a new row and merges the other cells automatically).

image.pngimage.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Creamer Training 

Thank you, that would work albeit I wish there's a script or native feature where you can convert different paragraphs into multiple cells automatically (i.e. the cell has 5 paragraphs, one click to make each paragraph into its own cell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be nice, but then again, it would make too much sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't find a script, and you have a lot of text to convert this way, see if this "brute force" technique might work.

1. Select the text in a cell

DianeBurns_0-1638058123000.png

2. Go to the Table menu and choose "Convert Text to Table.."

DianeBurns_1-1638058155586.png

3. The text will be converted to a table within that cell. Not ideal, but with the control of strokes, etc., it might be a partial workaround.

DianeBurns_2-1638058205409.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, please do fill out the feature request as David Creamer mentions. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane, thank you.

I tried using your workaround method as well but I found it was just easier to go back to original Word document with the table and formatted it there. Inserting table within a table caused an issue with rows that were aligning on different columns no longer lined up and that would cause more workaround.

And I filled in David Creamer's feature request 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new empty table with the number of rows and columns you want (in this case, 3 and 3). Select the text in column 2 of your current table and convert text to table (Table > Convert Text to Table…). Select the cells of the table (in this case, three cells) then select the corresponding cells in the empty table. Paste. Repeat for other columns.

Screenshot 2021-11-28 at 8.30.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Scott. How did you go from screencap 2 to 3? I.e. how did you delete the upper level table only leaving the inner tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's one screen capture with three tables in one text frame.

Top: My reproduction of your table.

Middle: The same table after converting the contents of R1C2 and R1C3 to tables.

Bottom: A table created using Table > Create Table with 3 rows and three columns. I selected all the cells in each of the subtables from the middle image and pasted them into the corresponding cells of the empty table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just For Comment! …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines