Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop background color bleeding into image

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am placing a psd file over a black background in inDesign for a printed brochure.  The psd has a transparency gradient on it which i applied in photoshop.  The psd is interacting with the black background and producing a grey effect that doesnt blend into that black background (which is set to 'regisitered'). 

This seems to be a problem with everything.  any transparency applied in any way interacts with the black background placed via parent pages. I've tried adding different blend mode, but can't seem to get rid of this, does anyone have any advice?

Much appreciated, thanks!

Hemel

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just do the whole cover including the black background in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make the whole in Photoshop. 

I think you have different blacks in the image and in the added black in inDesign. Probably the black of the image is a mixture between black and the other colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't "register" black be used only for crop marks, etc? I seem to recall it having special characteristics and/or not working well as a layout color. Not sure if it matters but the OP could try using a defined black for the background.

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James is correct. The Register swatch will create your object on all color plates, meaning in a CMYK document that black background will actually be 100% each of Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black. This will make a huge difference when printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use Register; use Black.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, I tried using 'black' still getting a similar result.  I also noticed that then i use feather transparency tool, the black bleeding through mutes the color making it look black and white, not sure if this is related to this issue.  Please see attached. 

If there is no way to do it in inDesign, then i'm fine to do it in Ai then place that PDF in indesign.  If so, any pitfuls in doing that? 

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure the color mode of the AI and PSD and INDD are the same.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines