Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign adaptable storyboard template?

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I work as a storyboard artist and bought Indesign CS6 recently in the hope of creating a storyboard template.

I need a template that will allow me to move images (with their notes attached) around within a sequence - and for the numbering system to adjust accordingly.

Ie. If I remove frames, the sequence doesn't suddenly have missing numbers within it.

I have used an app called Storyboard Pro in the past but it has a very limited choice of layouts when exported.

Any help/ suggestions would be much appreciated. It isn't a complicated function, so I am surprised that it isn't widely available.

Thanks in advance.

Jake

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Forgot the view on two text frames threaded over different spreads:

Storyboard-6.png

You could always add paragraphs or remove whole paragraphs:

The numbering will change accordingly.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake,

can you show a screenshot of one of your pages?

I'm sure there is a solution, but before suggesting something I have to see the layout.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sample sheet.jpgHi Uwe

Thanks for the response.

Here is a sample sheet. It would also have scene numbers alongside each panel - information that would not move with the panel image.

All the best.

Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would consider building each image and text on separate pages and use the Pages panel to rearrange the story. The numbers could be a style with auto-numbering, plus another style that repeats the number and adds another level set to alpha.

Technically, even PowerPoint could work for this and it has a slide sorter.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake,

the solution implies one text frame that is threaded from page to page.

That frame is holding the contents in paragraphs. Every entry—paragraph numbering, the image and the side notes.

The image and the side note can reside either in a group of two frames, a graphic frame and a text frame. That group will be anchored to the paragraph.

The paragraph numbering is done automatically.

If you want to move an entry to a different position you can simply cut and paste a whole paragraph.

The numbering will be reordered.

Some screenshots showing this below.

Text frame selected. In the Story Window you'll see 4 anchored objects. One in every paragraph:

Storyboard-1.png

Here on of the groups selected and the Layers panel opened:

Storyboard-2.png

Text frame of the group selected. The group consists of two objects, left the graphic frame with an image, right a text frame:

Storyboard-3.png

Text frame options for alignment of text inside the frame is set to Bottom alignment:

Storyboard-5.png

And finally the paragraph marker selected and the paragraph style options that is doing the automatic numbering of the paragraphs:

Storyboard-4.png

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot the view on two text frames threaded over different spreads:

Storyboard-6.png

You could always add paragraphs or remove whole paragraphs:

The numbering will change accordingly.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe.

I will give your method a try. Thank you. I am new to the app but it shouldn't take me long to get up to speed.

All the best.

Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jake,

doing the group you could first create an empty graphic frame, then change the frame fitting options for the frame to automatically center the incoming image and with fill frame proportionally with image. Then do the text frame that should hold the notes next to the graphic frame. Select both and do "Group". Next step is to copy the group to the clipboard. Select an insertion point with the Type Tool in the big text frame you want to thread through the pages and paste the contents to the selected insertion point. Make sure, that the group's width is less wide than the big text frame! Otherwise you create permanent overset.

Best,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks Uwe.

I have yet to try this but will mark the answer as correct to bring the post to a close.

Thanks too to Ideas Training. I will try this. However, the aim is to have a 4 panels to a page layout with a consistant header, so it may not fit the intended purpose.

All the best. Jake

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 16, 2024 Apr 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Laubender, are you able to provide a template file for your solution? I'm really struggling to get this to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines