• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign: Adjusting 'space after' for only last line of bulleted list (using paragraph style)

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a paragraph style for a bullet list. However, I want the "space after" amount for the last bullet in the list to be different by default than the "space after" amount for the rest of the bullets within the list. For instance, in a list of five items, I want bullets 1-4 to have a space after of "0.0625 in," but for the fifth (and final) bullet in the list, I want it to be "0.1389 in."

I've set the "space after" in my paragraph style to "0.0625 in" -- but I don't want to have to manually go back to every list to change the final line to the greater spacing I desire. Is there a way to customize a paragraph style in such a way?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Hi Kristin:

In v 13 or earlier, define the bullets normally with desired space between the bullets:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.17.39 PM.png

Then select the bullets, and set the Span to Span All:

Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.19.26 PM.png

Then Alt/Opt click on the icon in front of Span All to open the Span Columns dialog box. You can define space for both before and after the spanned bullets:Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 12.19.55 PM.png

If you are using paragraph styles, you can use Redefine Styles to update all of the bullet lists in your document.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign's bullets are pretty typical of how most page-layout programs work. InDesign could always improve on existing features, but the bullets and numbered lists are pretty full featured.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you are using the default tab character after your bullet, your left indent and tab are always equal. The first line is a negative "outdent" from the left indent; it can be equal or slightly less than the left, but never greater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Space Before for my body-based styles, including bullet and numbered lists. Removing or reducing the space is all that is needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines