• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign blank window when switching displays

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When having a file open in InDesign 2024 on my Macbook Pro (Sonoma 14.2.1 OS), close the lid, plug into my LG UltraFine external monitor and wake the computer up, the InDesign window is still open and all the tool bars are visible and working, but the area where the artwork is becomes black/blank and I can't see the work. I can see the bounding boxes if I select all, but no image or text. The window is entirely blank. The same thing happens if I'm working on my LG monitor, unplug the display and then open the Macbook to work. I always have my Macbook closed when plugged into the LG display and use both an external keyboard and trackpad. The solution is to always save, quit InDesign and reopen. If I go through that it works again. Is it a bug with Apple? Is it a bug with Adobe?

My LG firmware, OS and Adobe InDesign are all updated to the latest versions.

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2024 Feb 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a similar post that suggested deleting InDesign preferences. That has seemed to fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I thought deleted preferences fixed the problem, but it's happening again today. I had my file open on my external monitor at home, unplugged to go work at the coffee shop, open the macbook up and the window is blank again. I had to shut down InDesign and reopen it to continue working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to uncheck the GPU performance and turn off GPU Preview, which allows me to see the work again, but if I move or scale objects the screen goes blank while my curser is moving the selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. We did receive similar reports and the issue was resolved after updating the macOS Sonoma to 14.3. So please try that and let us know if this helps or if you need further assistance. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rishabh_Tiwari. I'm updating the OS now. I'll let you know if the issue happens after the install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated the OS and have all the latest updates of InDesign and I'm still having the issue. My only work around is to change from GPU preview to CPU preview, but then I loose the animation when zooming and moving around objects gets a little glitchy. Ultimately I have to save my work, close the file and reopen it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running macOS 14.3.1 and I have this issue too. Everytime I unplug or plug in my monitor to my Macbook Pro 2023, I have to close and reopen my inDesign files because the artboard is completely blank. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, same. It only happens when unplugging from the monitor or plugging into the monitor when an InDesign file is open. If you go into "View" in the menu bar and change to "View using CPU" (first on dropdown) that at least lets you see the work so you can save it or make any adjustments before saving. I don't like the CPU preview mode because it gets a bit glitchy when trying to align objects and move things around. It also gets wierd with the zoom in and out because it doesn't animate the zoom so you can't see how far your zooming until you release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this issue yet? I have all the latest software inc macOS Sonoma 14.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add I am experiencing the same issue with Photoshop.. and Illustrator flickers and glitches when i move the mouse. The problem occurs when switching monitors or when i wake my macbook after lunch on the same monitor. I have to completely restart as the glitches persists after just a software restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also been experiencing this same issue for over a year now (the flickering in Illustrator when an external monitor is plugged in or unplugged). Usually toggling Presentation Mode on and off fixes it for me! Annoying bug(s) for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also experiencing this issue, since updating to 2024 version of InDesign, as is our whole studio team. We are using new Apple monitors and macbook pros. The issue occurs equally using new Apple monitors and a BenQ monitor. Only solution we've found is to quit and reopen InDesign, which of course is not ideal. OS installed: Sonoma 14.4.1. Any updates on when this will be fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried just closing and re-opening the document itself instead of InDesign? That works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2024 May 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, for me too. I can close just the document and reopen and it usually works. If I'm in a pinch I can toggle the "Preview on CPU" on to see the artwork, but that preview mode is super glitchy when zooming in/out or moving objects around.

I connect via the USB-C. Does anyone connecting with an HDMI have the same problem? I haven't tried that yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here unfortunately... Updated MacOS system, no gpu preview and deleted Adobe prefrences. Still the screen turns gray when plugging in and out the hdmi cable which is connected to a LG screen. What can I do to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here unfortunately... Updated MacOS system, no gpu preview and deleted Adobe prefrences. Still the screen turns gray when plugging in and out the hdmi cable which is connected to a LG screen. What can I do to fix this?

By @Michiel5FE3

Are there any other ways to connect to this display with a different cable (USB-C etc?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem when connecting via USB-C, so it appears to not be an issue with the type of port. It's a GPU display issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Just started about a week or two ago. I've been on Sonoma for about 6 months, and InDesign 19.1 just as long. I did update my OS just last week to the latest patch, but I'm thinking it might have started before that although I can't remember exactly. New Macbook 6 months ago, although I don't think it's a computer issue. Like Karen, I believe it's related to the GPU toggle since I can get it to show and hide just by toggling that box back and forth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded the most recent version of InDesign 19.4 yesterday 05.15.24... Running it on my work computer MacBook M1 Pro 16" 2021, Sonoma 14.4.1 OS and having the same issue when closing the laptop to go to a meeting. Once re-opened, all InDesign pasteboards for every opened document is blank. When pressing command A, I see object bounding/text boxes but on a black screen. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2024 May 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded the most recent version of InDesign 19.4 yesterday 05.15.24... Running it on my work computer MacBook M1 Pro 16" 2021, Sonoma 14.4.1 OS and having the same issue when closing the laptop to go to a meeting. Once re-opened, all InDesign pasteboards for every opened document is blank. 

By @Gary36555096x7dv

Do you have the same problem with 19.3? You can revert from the Creative Cloud app:

leor_0-1715898417171.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with previous versions and it's still happening with all of the latest updates. I'm about to throuw Adobe in the trash. Adobe, when are you going to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2024 May 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same issue with previous versions and it's still happening with all of the latest updates. I'm about to throuw Adobe in the trash. Adobe, when are you going to fix this?

By @karenh74245468

Frustrating but it's certainly an uncommon issue.

First, did you try to run the general troubleshooting steps:

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

Also, try to create a clean new account in System Settings > Users & Groups - will it make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I've dumped my preferences. Uninstalled and reinstalled the app. The issue is still happening. The issue is somewhere in the GPU view and how it responds to changing displays. If I switch to CPU view I can see the artwork, but then the animated zoom doesn't work and moving objects around is laggy. Looking at the thread it looks like I'm not the only one experiencing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not an uncommon issue at all, nearly every person I've ever worked with in every creative agency has this issue for the last year at least. We've just gotten used to closing and re-opening as we don't switch from desktop to laptop mode all that often. Most people just don't get bugged that much by it, so don't say anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines