• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC Shift Key not working

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014 Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I'd just hold the shift key down to resize an image or object in InDesign CC to constrain its proportions. Lately when I try to resize an image, the shift key doesn't do anything anymore. It no longer holds the proportions of the image box. Is there a way to fix this problem or is there a new tool that replaces the hot key shortcut? Transform > Scale is taking way too much time to resize an image to the proper size I need it to be.

Any and all help is very appreciated.

-Jon

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Hello Carol, I posted a fix that worked for me perfectly, it was webroot virus scanning software. I turned it off, and the problem disappeared. I only run it at night, when I’m not working. An apple tech told me virus scan software can interfere with key commands.

Not sure if this is your issue, but hope it helps. My macbook pro was fine, the software wasn’t installed on it, it was the mac pro with the virus scanning software that had the issue.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I guess Adobe has updated since then, and I'm not seeing "Tools" in the Preferences Panel anymore. Any other thoughts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been frustrated by this for days. Here's another easy fix option I found:

In the NEW "Properties" panel, under "Frame Fitting", select "Auto-Fit".

I was then able to take the corner of my image box and use the old hot keys for proportionally scaling as I wanted.

Now if I can only solve the issue of my - space bar/mouse click and hold -  not working to move the document around.

Adobe... why do you drive us drink? Think with your RIGHT brain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2019 Oct 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here in the future, 2019, it was exactly what juarthy said back in 2015. Even with the new updates to IND, that pesky Webroot software was jacking with my indesign. As soon as I shut it off, everything went back to normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a step by step on how to do this? I think this is probably my problem, but I don't know how to find a webroot? I haven't downloaded anything recently? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nevermind! For anyone else who looks on this, it was a thing that I had to download for Mac to make a WD external hard drive function. I uninstalled that, restarted my computer, and it's working. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I had the same issues after installing the new Indesign 2021 release. The Safari browser appeared to be the application that was messing up the shift key problem. Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! It looks like Safari is causing my problmes as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you fit it through safari? I have been looking through everything and nothing is providing a working solution. HELP! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I aunch InDesign and Saafri is not open everything works well. If Safari is open and then I launch InDesign, it's broken. It's a pain, but at least I can make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is everyone fixing this issue? I saw someone comment about the WD external drive, which I have but I haven't seen anything with that on my computer. I have tried just ejecting it but my shift key still isn't working in indesign. I have closed out of everything and nothing is working. I also do not have Weboot either. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this issue really still going on after years?! Mine just started today. I don't see steps for this Webroot thing, and stuff like that is not my forte. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was weird. I saw people having issues when having Safari open. For me it was as simple as restarting Chrome. Shift functionality went back to normal immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines