Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign crashing when creating cross reference

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

When I want to create a cross reference in a INDD (which I did on a daily basis without problems) the pop-up opens I search for the location frome where or to what it should link, click it. Then Indesign says save document (which it never asked before) then the little cirkle starts to turn and the message: a problem has occured with Adobe Indesign 2023 pops up, then Indesign crashes. Does anybody knows why. Has it something to do with an indesign update?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Colleagues suggested that the file might be corrupted. If found a way to work around.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the IDML repair path?

Look into the file history if something apears which should not be there. Hold down comd/ctrl and go to Abotu InDesign …

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realy can't make out in all the data that apears if there is something that should not be there. Important is that there are no missing plug-ins

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes, after the MAJOR update, preferences get corrupted - or your file been already corrupted in a way that the old version was able to "ignore" it - but the new version crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colleagues suggested that the file might be corrupted. If found a way to work around.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've IDML-ed the Book. After that there are no problems after printing. But a day or two days later after printing a Indb to a .pdf format again Indesign crashes again but the pdf. is created

I don't think it has something to do with the lack of RAM capacity beacause when we check the use of RAM space during printing is only 3 % more then the normal use of space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you have ? 

What OS / platform ? 

Do you work locally or remotely - where are your files ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Ram is 2,4 GB this the available RAM wich is 85% of its capacity, OS is Windows 10 Enteprise. I work locally but the files are checked in and out from a remote vault system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2.4 GB ?? Are you sure?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My RAM is 16GB and at this moment 5,9GB  is available. But sometimes the available GB's are les.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that the problems were caused by our vault system. I have just exported a Book file to a .pdf format and Indesign didn't crash. Also my remaining RAM space now is more then double then when the crashing issue occured, that was 2,9GB. Colleagues have been working on the vault system so perhaps the issue is solved. But when Indesign crashes again I'll post it. For now I wish  you a happy new year and thanks for your effort

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you are not working locally - only your INDD file was local - but all linked files were still on the server / vault ?

A lot of people report problems after recent update when working fully or partially remotely.

That's why I always say - work locally but backup remotely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to check out the complete Indesign files and folders otherwise I can't work with Indesign so then I work local. After working, for safety reasons I check everthing back in the vault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean - you copy everything from the vault to your local drive - then make changes = work on your internal drive - and then copy everything back to the vault ?

Was it like that before, when InDesign was crashing - or how you tested it now, without crashing ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2023 Jan 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sort of, it is check out from the vault work on it then check back in to the vault. The problem with the crashing started after an Indesign update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bonjour, vous parler de coffre-fort, de quoi s'agit-il ?.

Je travaille depuis indesign 2023, mon fichier plante lorsque je selectionne un style que j'ai formaté dans - style de paragraphe... le reste du fichier (80 pages) ne rencontre aucun problème, seule cette partie pour le moment plante et replante le fichier.. merci de bien vouloir m'indiquer comment m'en sortir. Apple M1 Pro- 16 Go - Ventura 13.0.1 - je n'ai rien mis à jour, je ne sais oùu trouver les fichiers ou dossiers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2023 Feb 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to Export your INDD file as IDML - save with a new name and then open and save again as INDD - with a new name - don't overwrite your original INDD file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci pour la réponse. Il me reste 2 autres questions avant de m'exécuter.. après l'enregistrement sous IDML, je l'ouvre avec la même version d'INDD ?  

..."n’écrasez" pas votre fichier INDD d’origine.."... vous me conseillez de ne pas le jeter, c'est ça ?

J'ai vu aussi sur des tuttos : ..exporter/indesign markup (IDML) . Lequel des 2 est le plus sûre ? Merci

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IDML is a "raw" version of the INDD file - without previews and everything is internally reorganised. 

Yes, you need to keep original INDD file - just in case. 

I think you can either export or Save As IDML - both ways should work the same - as you are preserving original INDD file - you can try both 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Merci. V tenter tout ça..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the late reply everyone, the problem is solved by an update of Indesing. Case closed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines