Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashing when I try to open .indd file

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Sorry, an error occurred"

It seems that there has been similar problems and I have tried the solutions which were proposed but none of them seems to be working in my case. I do not know where to start - my file is not working and I need help.

One minute I worked as usually but next I could not undo wrong movements. I closed program and restarted my computer and tried to open my work again. I got error message. Oh...I also interrupted pdf generation before I could not undo movements...

Here´s my broken file:

https://we.tl/t-br4b2DUjK3

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

I was able to open it and tried to save it as .idml but it crashes at 27%. There is a problem somewhere on page 72 or 73. Try this https://we.tl/t-ys42nMbAsW but you have to recreate pages 72 and 73. Keep in mind that this is a completely new file (I've moved "good" pages to a new project).

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried opeing the file here and it opens, but then ID freezes. Also tried a blind export to .idml, but was unable to open that at all, possibly because the export wasn't really successful. Sorry.

Do you have a backup of an older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not have backup, but I look up recovery file and it was broken too. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this - 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html#need_help

>> If no resolution works, share the affected file with us at idfile@adobe.com.

>> We'll investigate the issue and let you know if the recovery is possible. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ceilink51227128,

also tried to open your document with my German InDesign on Windows 10, but I failed.

The first thing I did: Inspected the file with Werner Perplies' script WpsIndFileIdentifier* because I wanted to know in what versions the document was saved. That gave a strange result, but it gave a result, so I think not all of the file can be damaged.

Werner's script said that the document was very often saved with InDesign CC 2017 on a Windows machine.

Is that the case? If so and you also saved it with InDesign 2021 the parts saved with CC 2017 are the "dominant" ones. Don't know if the Adobe engineers could recover all of the document.

Well, the next thing I tried: Open a copy of the document with InDesign CC 2017.

Of course a message came up, if I want to convert the file to a CC 2017 document with the help of an Adobe service. Also tried this:

UsingAdobeServive-Convert-to-CC2017.PNG

But unfortunately the service also failed, at least I interpret the result message this way:

"Try again later or message the owner of the document to save the document to IDML"

UsingAdobeServive-Convert-to-CC2017-RESULT.PNG

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

* Werner's script is free. Sign in on his forum and download the script at:

https://weepee.de/forum/indesign/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=107

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to open it and tried to save it as .idml but it crashes at 27%. There is a problem somewhere on page 72 or 73. Try this https://we.tl/t-ys42nMbAsW but you have to recreate pages 72 and 73. Keep in mind that this is a completely new file (I've moved "good" pages to a new project).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sunny

I'm not jumping up and down yet, but I got the file open. It probably takes some time to got it run again but thank You so, so much. 72-73 pages were the last pages which I added to the document. 

BR
Ceilin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunny - may I ask how You were able to open my file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With "double click" 🙂 There might be not enough RAM in your machine as your project has 880 linked objects. When your file (the first one) is open, RAM usage on my PC is over 20 GB, with the file without those two pages it drops down to 1,5 GB. Maybe this is an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines